Firewall..

S

S-Gray

Just a few Questions about em..

I have installed Zone Alarm Pro v3, but i was wondering if it would be good idea to Tick all the Programs in the program list to Allow Server , Internet ?

Progs such as:

MSN
Yahoo
mIRC
Counterstrike + other games
HLSW
Kazaa
CuteFTP
BarryLogon

?

G

GDW

Im interested in this too. If anyone has a decent knowledge of ZA maybe they could tell us the best settings.

M

Miles_Binck

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]
Just a few Questions about em..

I have installed Zone Alarm Pro v3, but i was wondering if it would be good idea to Tick all the Programs in the program list to Allow Server , Internet ?

Progs such as:

MSN
Yahoo
mIRC
Counterstrike + other games
HLSW
Kazaa
CuteFTP
BarryLogon
Don't give every single program internet and server access rights. The ones that need server access will ask for it.

• MSN - Internet & Server
  • Yahoo Messenger - Internet & Server
  • mIRC - Internet & Server
  • Counterstrike + other games - Most games require both Internet & Server
  • HLSW - ummm.....
  • Kazaa - Internet, but not server (unless you get problems)
  • CuteFTP - Internet & Server
  • BarryLogon - Internet & Server
I would recommend setting the program control (Program Control Menu, Main Tab) to Medium, that way if a program needs specific access it will ask for it.

Remember, this is just my opinion based on my current ZoneAlarm Pro settings

S

S-Gray

HLSW is a Program like GameSpy (only years better)

So pretty much everything on there is set right? mmmkay heh

S

Shocko

Without knowing anything about ZoneAlarm, here is what i guess is the case:
'Server' allows programs to listen on ports, for incoming connections.
'Internet' allows a program to open new connections, and transfer data over existing connections.

Assuming this is how ZA works, then hardly any of those programs will need 'Server' rights.

MSN - *maybe* needs server, i doubt it though.
Yahoo - ditto
mIRC - You don't need server unless you want to send things by DCC. You can still receive things by DCC though.
Counterstrike + other games - no HL, Quake or UT games/mods will need server, unless *suprise surprise* you want to run a server :)
HLSW - shouldn't need server allthough some (older) master servers might not work without it, but the main ones will. if you're using the logging, then it *might* want server.
Kazaa - I don't think so.
CuteFTP - shouldn't need server, especially if you only use passive mode. if the the ftp server has ident checks enabled it might moan a bit.
BarryLogon - i wouldn't have thought so.

M

Miles_Binck

I agree with you Shocko, but having tried and test every combination possible with a majority of the programs listed some of them are too stubborn to work without the server option enabled.

From ZoneAlarm On-line Help
server permission

Server permission allows a program on your computer to "listen" for connection requests from other computers, in effect giving those computers the power to initiate communications with yours.This distinct from access permission, which allows a program to initiate a communications session with another computer.

Several common types of applications, such as chat programs, e-mail clients, and Internet Call Waiting programs, may need server permission to operate properly. Grant server permission only to programs you're sure you trust, and that require it in order to work.

If possible, avoid granting a program server permission for the Internet Zone. If you need to accept incoming connections from only a small number of machines, add those machines to the Trusted Zone, and then allow the program server permission for the Trusted Zone only.

that might clarify it a bit more

P

Pro]v[etheus

Hi SG, i use ZA Plus and agree with Shocko. Just a couple of pointers though:

MSN does not require server
BarryLogon does not require server

Just in case you happen to use ICQ or NetMeeting at any point, these both have to be allowed server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom