Firewall software

H

hooligun

Can anybody recommend some good firewall software for general web browsing ?

How does it affect gaming ?

Windows 98SE OS. Internet Explorer browser (does that make a difference)

Preferrably cheap or shareware ?

Cheers

Hooli

S

S-Gray

Zone Alarm would be your best bet, i myself dont use Firewalls anymore, they tend to slow boot up time

Heres links on Download.com for Firewall Downloads

id say chose outta Zone Alarm, Norton, Sygate or Adaware (Or AT Guard? cant remember)

T

Testin da Cable

there are also several hardware based options to choose from, or perhaps a dedicated pc to do the job.

by the way SG, that is one of the more stupid reasons I've heard for not using a firewall. I'm sure you also do not use a virus scanner because it slows down I/O hmmm? turn it back on dude, in this day and age you *need* one. this holds espcially true when running doze

E

Embattle

No he doesn't need one, his computer don't seem to work most the time ;)

S

S-Gray

heh, well 'tis true with all these Kids accessing computers, wanting to impress their mates, but, i very rarely go to sites (Like Warez stuff) so i doubt id be caught out

E

Embattle

Warez has liitle to do with it mate...you're leaving your computer open to being scanned and then attacked later.

S

(Shovel)

What makes one "better" or "worse" than another?
I've used ZoneAlarm for ages now but it seems a lot of trouble to update to a new one and go through the "Can this access the net?" process all over again.

Is it to with implementation of the security or are the other factors to consider?

F

FuZor

I found ZA slow and irritating ;) Kerio PF is small, lightweight and its operation is easier! IE: It either lets a program communicate to the net or not :) The only thing that makes it better is personal choice.

R

Rubber Bullets

AS far as I know the free firewalls, though very good, do just as FuZor says, they allow a program access to the net, or not. If you pay for a firewall you have the option to let different parts of the same program access or not.

i.e. Allow AudioGalaxy satellite to download stuff (when it was still alive), but not allow it to get intouch with its spyware sites.

This is what I understand to be true, please correct me if I am wrong :)

s

H

hooligun

Thanks for the info and advice.

I've gone with Outpost for now (on account of I'm a bit of a PC luddite).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

hooli

F

FuZor

You'll be fine :) If it asks to let a program communicate which you have no knowledge about just say no :)

C

caLLous

I've been using Atguard for over 2 years now and not a single problem. It's no longer available though, since the company was bought out by Symantec and made to make the shitty successor which is Personal Firewall.

Users who are viewing this thread