Firewall Help please

M

Melodic

I bought McAfee Firewall today and set it to allow camelot.exe and patch program to have unhibited access to the internet. However, when the program tries to log me in (i,e. you have the picture of the burning keep and music in the background) instead of moving on to say connecting to service and then connected to service it sticks at contacting the IP address.

I am going to have to disable the firewall to play, which kind of defeats the purpose. Is there anyway I can configure the firewall to allow this - I don't know which program it is trying to block as I get no prompt and the log just says unknown traffic.

No flames please - I know I am dumb with stuff like this, I don't need 20 of you to tell me :)

O

old.Vae

You also need to enable login.dll to have access to the internet. If you can't do this manually or this doesn't work try alt tabbing at the point where it is "connecting to IP address".

This should enable you to get to the pop up box from Mcafee behind DAOC asking if you want to allow this program access to the internet (well that's how it works with Zone Alarm anyway). This should also allow you to get back into DAOC once you've allowed it access.

S

SFXman

I use Tiny Personal Firewall... works great and my DAoC has 5 different permissions. 1 TCP out for patch.bin and login.dll... Then a TCP out, UDP in & out for the game.dll.... so if you have all those three things with unhibited access you should be fine.

M

Melodic

thanks guys

loging.dll had permission - it is the tcp out that is getting blocked and I would guess I need UDP in and out given access too. not sure how to give these 3 acess manually so help would be appreciated (i did tab out but there was no box asking me to grant permission.)

S

SFXman

Unfortunately I have never used McAfee Firewall, sorry mate.

O

old.neenee

whats the main reason you want a firewall? for windows its too stop being packeted, which is mainly UDP packets/ tcp syn crap and leaving them open for daoc too run as you said "I am going to have to disable the firewall to play, which kind of defeats the purpose.":rolleyes: software firewalls are crap, always have been and always will be, get your money back, make up some crap about cd not working and invest in a router. end of the day, if someone wants too dos you, they will, no matter what, all pointless really.. but try and take my advice :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread