Find me a new Digital Camera/Corder

Outlander

Part of the furniture
Hello oh wise OT webfolks!

Looking to buy a new digital camera and not sure what to go for, I just cant decide. dont want to spend more than £250 and would really want to get as much as I can for my money, had a look at some camera/printer bundles for less than £250 but still undecided.

Obviously quality is 1st order, 4mp is ok but would prefer 5+ where possible. Also zoomage has to be reasonable for when Im spying on neighbours from my window :p Last off a decent size, not too small that I will lose it and not too large that I will have to get planning permission for it. :)

Also seen a few digital camcorders for a bit more money, would that be a better option perhaps? If they offer the still picture quality as well as quality video footage, not sure really not had much exp with camcorders maybe someone can shed some light.

Hope some of you knowlegable people can help, even just a bit! Will rep all help recieved!

:cheers:

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Outlander said:
Hello oh wise OT webfolks!

Looking to buy a new digital camera and not sure what to go for, I just cant decide. dont want to spend more than £250 and would really want to get as much as I can for my money, had a look at some camera/printer bundles for less than £250 but still undecided.

Obviously quality is 1st order, 4mp is ok but would prefer 5+ where possible. Also zoomage has to be reasonable for when Im spying on neighbours from my window :p Last off a decent size, not too small that I will lose it and not too large that I will have to get planning permission for it. :)

Also seen a few digital camcorders for a bit more money, would that be a better option perhaps? If they offer the still picture quality as well as quality video footage, not sure really not had much exp with camcorders maybe someone can shed some light.

Hope some of you knowlegable people can help, even just a bit! Will rep all help recieved!

:cheers:
camcorders don't have thesame resolution as camera's... They don't need to because your tv or monitor can't handle that anyway...
and in camera's... the number of megapixels doesn't automatically mean it's quality....

I can't advice you though cos your aim is different than what I looked at before. I'm currently saving up money for a Canon EOS 350D :)

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
On a Digital Camera I ordered a 'Sony DSC-N1 Cyber-shot Digital Camera' (8MP (MP = Mega Pixel, the higher the number the better quality the pictures (iirc) - my plan was to buy a camera that is going to last a while. Its a little out of your budget but I would suggest taking a look around for a decent price, I got mine on a Price match in Jessops for £270 in the end.

A guy next to me at work bought a Sony DSC-T9 (6MP (I think thats the right one) for about £200 or so. Got a 2gig memory card for about £30 and said setup was dead easy, pictures come out really well.

Not much help but try and spend as much as you can, Sony seems pretty good :)

Outlander

Part of the furniture
I still got my eos 3 but thats a film slr and cost me like £500 at the time, I just want a reasonable digital one now although not going to spend that much on it. :) I had looked a the 350D but tbh I dont see myself needing that much :)

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Find a local Jessops or similar, have a good look round and then decide. Digital camera is an expensive toy if you don't.

Let us know what you get and review it! :)

Also, hasn't FH got a Camera-Nerd area? check in there for recent reviews...

Outlander

Part of the furniture
trying to justify getting the EOS 350D/Digital Rebel XT, I mean I would love it n all, maybe I can just wait a lil longer perhaps.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Outlander said:
I still got my eos 3 but thats a film slr and cost me like £500 at the time, I just want a reasonable digital one now although not going to spend that much on it. :) I had looked a the 350D but tbh I dont see myself needing that much :)

hmm... you wouldn't need to buy the lenses, if you got an analog EOS body... the lenses are interconnectable iirc :)
Saves a bit money plus adds functionality to your camera :D

Outlander

Part of the furniture
yea I was wondering about that, just to buy the body on its own as the lenses I have atm are fine and dandy. Wasnt sure really if there was any difference in the lenses or not, didnt think there was but :)

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Dreamor said:
On a Digital Camera I ordered a 'Sony DSC-N1 Cyber-shot Digital Camera' (8MP (MP = Mega Pixel, the higher the number the better quality the pictures (iirc) - my plan was to buy a camera that is going to last a while. Its a little out of your budget but I would suggest taking a look around for a decent price, I got mine on a Price match in Jessops for £270 in the end.

A guy next to me at work bought a Sony DSC-T9 (6MP (I think thats the right one) for about £200 or so. Got a 2gig memory card for about £30 and said setup was dead easy, pictures come out really well.

Not much help but try and spend as much as you can, Sony seems pretty good :)
The number of megapixels do not equate to quality. That's what the cheaper firms would like you to believe though.
A lower quality image processor, though having a higher pixel count is more sensitive to noise, therefor reducing the imagequality.
A higher quality image processor doen't have this noise (as much), thus can get better images, sometimes even with only half the number of pixels the lower qual's can...

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Outlander said:
yea I was wondering about that, just to buy the body on its own as the lenses I have atm are fine and dandy. Wasnt sure really if there was any difference in the lenses or not, didnt think there was but :)
Well, newer lenses likely are a bit faster in the autofocus, zoom etc... but I don't think there's much difference :)

Outlander

Part of the furniture
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
Well, newer lenses likely are a bit faster in the autofocus, zoom etc... but I don't think there's much difference :)
I cant rep you any more will have to do it again later :)

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Outlander said:
I cant rep you any more will have to do it again later :)
Roflol! hehehe, thanks :D

though I would advice you to double-check with the salesman, and bring a lens orso with you to fit etc ;)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
I have just bought a Kodak Z650 - can pick them up for under £200 now - 6.1mp camera with 10x optical zoom (dont be fooled into buying something with massive digital zoom - usually horrendous quality on pics using digital zoom). With a 1gig card it holds about 500 photo's at highest rez. Also has a built in video camera function and I think the 1gig card will hold about 60mins on it of video footage - havent used this yet so cant tell you what the quality is like - think its 640x480 rez on video though. It takes a lovely picture, has inbuilt flash, loads of photo modes which are really easy to access on a switch at the back of it. Takes standard batteries as well - you can buy rechargable kodak battery but just get a pack of cheapo rechargeables and a few cheap batteries when you use it often just for backup - problem with last digi cam i had was battery going flat and not having a replacement one (wasnt a standard battery) so this is a great feature for me as well. Would tell you more but not used it loads as yet - can give you more info if needed once I get home and look at teh instructions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom