Finally, some uploads

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Hey, just finally got around to uploading some stuff to deviantart. Only got a handgul of stuff on there at the moment, more to come so keep watching if you want.

Constructive crticisim is encrouaged, say what you think.

http://wazzerphuk.deviantart.com

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
"fallen" kicks arse imo. You're my spiritual child, Wazzlet :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Uploading more as we speak. Still got a fair bit of old prints/negs to scan, many more to come in the future. Especially after exams/coursework chills out at the end of this month; I'll be going on a DSLR spree.

TdC

I like "bridge" too. I don't know what paper you use, but if it were me I'd have cranked up the hardness. I'm nasty like that though. See here.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It was Ilford b/w paper, not sure which one as it's not here with me.

I thought about making the contrast really high, but to be honest I prefer the grey tones and the way they fade into each other. It doesn't help that the original print Bridge was scanned from was heat damaged when mounting it. I was not happy as I don't even like mounting my work in the first place. :D

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
I know nothing of photography or art, but those are really really cool, but I don't know why, it's all very confusing indeed. nice work!
Those are exactly the kinda photo's/prints I would want in my house, if I ever got one.

TdC

multigrade? I seem to remember a multi-somthing heh. I know what you mean with the fading tones though. Have you ever experimented with staining your prints? One of the girls at ye olde photography school did a huge series on barite paper stained blue. She got the grade exactly right and it was magic!

I'm fully digital now, but tbh there is nothing that compares to development and darkroom work. It gets me all hot and bothered just thinking about it :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah indeed.
I'm afraid I can't consider darkroom stuff, I just simply can't afford it so I'll be strictly digital until I'm in full time work again. Until then I may take a couple of rolls of film but even just developing costs and getting no prints is stupid expensive.
I haven't really tried much stuff, all darkroom fiddling I did was at college.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Swift^ said:
is a General Digital Photographer
is Male
is a deviant since Apr 8, 2004, 8:11 AM
has 63 pageviews
is located in United Kingdom
is idle
is currently
is an MSN Messenger user; wazzerphuk@barrysworld.com

I thought you were a deviant for far longer than that,

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
swift what camera do you use? I keep seeing these pracktica or something on ebay for like 70 odd pounds for 6.6megapixels (interpolated) are they any good?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It says on the page :D

Digital I use a Canon EOS300D, analogue (which a lot of those shots are) a 1950s Praktica Super TL. So have no advice for you there. :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Lovely piccies there Swift. Do you know much about developing? A mate of mine has loads of gear he says I can borrow, only I've never touched developing before.

How easy is it to 'do it'?

Oh, and were you defocussing the images through the lens, or on the enlarger?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
jaba said:
swift what camera do you use? I keep seeing these pracktica or something on ebay for like 70 odd pounds for 6.6megapixels (interpolated) are they any good?

Number of pixels is no guide to quality. The size of the CCD and the quality of the camera are more important.

www.dpreview.com for all your needs.

If its 70 quid and 6mp, its going to be shite. Shame really, I just sold a 4.1mp sony camera for 100 squids that might have been ideal for ya.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
bugger that probably would have been perfect :( got any others going spare??

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
actually if anyone can recommend any for about £150, with decent feature set, good picture quality it wouldbe much appreciated..

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
That is a splendid page indeed, thanks Tom you the man. I like the look of the DSC-p93...sony thingy looks to do everything I want....now, where can I get it cheap! hehe.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Tom said:
Lovely piccies there Swift. Do you know much about developing? A mate of mine has loads of gear he says I can borrow, only I've never touched developing before.

How easy is it to 'do it'?

Developing from film all the way to print is a most satisfying process. It's also pretty damned easy, too. Grab your film, put it on to a spiral (this can be a lot of fun in total darkness, get used to how it works before you go into darkness), and whack it in the developer for the time your film requires (should be easy to find out: most films come with details). Agitate it for 10 seconds every minute roughly (to ensure chemicals spread evenly over all areas of film). Then bring it out of there, into the stop for a minute or two. This "stop" is exactly what it says on the tin, and stops the developing chemical from doing it's work. Once that brief spell is over, into the brilliantly named "fix" (yes, it does fix the image down so chemicals can no longer affect it) for 5-10 minutes. Then into a water wash for about 10 minutes, and then hang yer negs up to dry.

Once dry you can whack em into yer old enlarger, expose your paper to it and repeat developer-stop-fix process for your print. If you haven't used an enlarger before this will require the most learning and experimentation with. Then again it functions almost identically to a camera so principles should be easy to pick up and work with.

All in all: Very easy to do, but also very easy to accidentally get wrong. Especially first time you develop film, working in the pitch black is odd, and many people don't check the order of the chemical tubs before they go in: and accidently put the film in the stop first.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Tom said:

Oops, forgot to answer. I think it was a comnination of both. IIRC, I defocused primarily through the lens, and added the extra fuzz needed with an enlarger on a couple of the shots. With bars/fallen there was no extra defocusing with an enlarger.

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, darkrooms rule :)

I'm tempted to get a negative scanner to digitise some of my b+w negatives, couldn't really justify the outlay though :/

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
I thought darkrooms had funny red lights in? or is that just because I have seen it in films like that so many times? :confused:

Murray

Fledgling Freddie
I'll have to get out and take some shots with my new Sony DSC-P150, but it only came with a single 512MB card which I might have to complain about.

On second thoughts I never have been much of a photographer so may just sell it to fund my cocaine habit.

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
jaba said:
I thought darkrooms had funny red lights in? or is that just because I have seen it in films like that so many times? :confused:

You are correct, the photo paper isn't affected by the red light. So when you're enlarging the negative you can do that with the red light on. However the film is still affected by the light, so that must be developed in total darkness.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Black and white paper can be handled under red/amber safe lights. No film in the world can be exposed to any form of light undeveloped. And colour paper cannot be exposed to any light either, colour development also happens in total darkness.

PS Upped a couple of more shots today from yesterday morning.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Murray said:
I'll have to get out and take some shots with my new Sony DSC-P150, but it only came with a single 512MB card which I might have to complain about.

On second thoughts I never have been much of a photographer so may just sell it to fund my cocaine habit.

hahahahahahhah ha ha......man thats a good joke.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
512mb is enough for general usage. I can get about 60 large resolution high quality pics with a 256mb with my EOS300D. I need to get more cards when I can afford to, as I prefer to shoot over a whole day than lots of location based shoots.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Swift, he is taking the piss, in clowns thread in general, his camera didn't get delivered but was signed for by someone called murray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom