File sharing has no effect on CD sales

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Bah!! Just typed out a long, eloquent and generally excellent post about this and IE crashed when I hit "submit". Really cba to type it all out again, condensed version incoming:

Another interesting article on the Reg today - a couple of American academics have done some statistical analysis/research showing that filesharing has little to no effect on album sales and that basically the recording industry is, as we all suspected anyway, talking out of it's arse and blaming consumers for it's own failings.

<Insert a couple of paragraphs of witty insight and well-structured slating of the recording industry including a few choice insults reliant on anthropomorphising the worldwide recording industry as a single entity with one big anal passage>

Thanks.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Man that was so witty and well structured it hurt! I like condensed posts where I can make up what I want to ...in my mind....still good point well made, they are lying bastards!

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
jaba said:
Man that was so witty and well structured it hurt! I like condensed posts where I can make up what I want to ...in my mind....still good point well made, they are lying bastards!

the article is actually well structured and does try to be objective. Basically its saying that there is statistical proof that filesharing doesnt hurt sales much if it doesnt even help it out.
Anyway it isnt completly certain, but most likely filesharing isnt the true cause for the music industry losing money (the academics think that in worst case it could be responsible for 1.5% of the less cds sold).

Allthough granny's post isnt that well based, she things she mentioned are true (unless the register is making those US academics up or those academics are wrong). Anyway actually reading the link might have prevent you from making a stupid post.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Record companies need to be more concerned with realising the fall in sales is in direct ratio with the rising amount of pop-produced bullshit.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Driwen said:
the article is actually well structured and does try to be objective. Basically its saying that there is statistical proof that filesharing doesnt hurt sales much if it doesnt even help it out.
Anyway it isnt completly certain, but most likely filesharing isnt the true cause for the music industry losing money (the academics think that in worst case it could be responsible for 1.5% of the less cds sold).

Allthough granny's post isnt that well based, she things she mentioned are true (unless the register is making those US academics up or those academics are wrong). Anyway actually reading the link might have prevent you from making a stupid post.

I think you missed the point of that Driwen... the "well-structured" stuff was me being ironically annoyed at losing my original post because IE crashed when I submitted it :)

And I'm a he, not a she :p

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Maybe if there was something worth buying, the record sales would rise.

:shrug:

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Driwen said:

Sorry mine wasnt meant as a flame, just he was saying how his was a well structured written thing before it had died, so I was imagining how it would have been written, and complimenting him on the writing I had created in my mind, no offences intended, probably wasnt very clear on that, sorry!
:D

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I have to admit, despite downloading a lot of music, I probably still buy the same amount of CDs as I always have. I'll buy CDs of bands that I'm loyal to and enjoy downloading new bands material to see if it's any good. If it is I'll go and buy it for £9 from play, although I'd wish they'd give me some kind of special edition incentive, like they do with DVDs.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
granny said:
I think you missed the point of that Driwen... the "well-structured" stuff was me being ironically annoyed at losing my original post because IE crashed when I submitted it :)

yeah but the article is sort of part of your post and that is well structured.

And I'm a he, not a she :p
Think I actually knew that, but the name granny confuses me every time :p.

ah and sorry for that Jaba read as a flame (me having grown up on daoc boards means I tend to read posts as badly meant as with daoc they usually are) (sees himself getting hung up as daoc scum :p).

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
You would be the first DAOC player that is hung tbh.

:D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Filesharing..pfft...go out and buy a cd!

"But i can't afford new CD's all the time 'cause i'm a student!"

Get a job!

Lazy, cheap sons of pirates... :D

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Muse - Absolution only just came out today.

Despite the fact i've downloaded most of the tracks from it i still fully intend to buy it.

I have, unfortunatly, some s-club 7 tunes on my HDD as well, they dont make me want to go out and buy their CDs.

Go figure

EvilMonkeh

Fledgling Freddie
the article says "one extra copy was sold on average for every 150 downloads." but how do they know how many they would have sold, had there not been any downloads...

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
My brother lives in Canada and his wife sent me a link to this tonight. Judge Konrad Von Finkenstein? No wonder....
But an interesting development although I have no doubt it will remain unique to Canada.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Some of the figures quoted by the record industry spokesman are laughably biased.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Hence why my thoughts of the RIAA are that its pretty much shooting itself in the foot for it.

If they actually released some half decent stuff as opposed to the hoardes of bollocks music coming out atm, the sales may actually increase, but them being closed minded twats, they refuse to believe it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Most of the music released over the last 40 years is utter shite. Thats why you never hear of it again. Its the little gems that come along every so often, and help define a generation, that give us our rose tinted spectacles.

Instead of bleating on about p2p, they should be bludgeoning their government to do something about piracy in the far east, which is probably where most of the money is lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom