TV Fighting on the frontline

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Anyone else watching this on Channel 4?

Amazing documentary about our boys fighting in Afghanistan. Really making me think about what they are going through. (Not wanting to get into the validity of us being there, they are only after all following orders, which is what they are trained to do)

Well worth a watch. This week is about the choppers, the Apache and Chinook.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
The one on BBC3 a few months ago was quite good too, well worth a watch.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Fucking amazing, frightening and sad at thr same time, that show will speed up us pulling out and never going there again, what a pathetic waste of young lives on both sides

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Fucking amazing, frightening and sad at thr same time, that show will speed up us pulling out and never going there again, what a pathetic waste of young lives on both sides

thought we would have learned that after the russians got their arses kicked in there ..

dont think anyone can win in that country

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I found it a bit odd how they go on about the Taliban being cowards and not giving a fair fight while they fly around in their £50m helicopters, annihilating them from a far with missiles.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
thought we would have learned that after the russians got their arses kicked in there ..

dont think anyone can win in that country

Probably because the yanks gave the Taliban guns? :p

Now we're fighting american guns

Yay.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Probably because the yanks gave the Taliban guns? :p

Now we're fighting american guns

Yay.

Mostly Russian weapons. My brother has been in that hell hole twice, and most of the guns, mines, RPGs etc. are either Russian or Chinese. The mine my brother drove onto was Russian

Chosen

Resident Freddy
I found it a bit odd how they go on about the Taliban being cowards and not giving a fair fight while they fly around in their £50m helicopters, annihilating them from a far with missiles.

Most of us found Taliban to be cowards down there, because of their way of warfare. But that is without thinking in a bigger perspective. Ss of now I know that Taliban got little chance to fight back if not for the IEDs. Our weapons reach is far beyond theirs, which gives us a huge advantage.

Nothing is fair in war, and you do whatever you can to survive. This saying even tho I lost a friend and team member there to a IED.

What I find cowardly with Taliban tho, is their way of using civilians to hide themself. Which have caused many more civilian deaths then necessary.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Hiding with civilians, or using civilians is cowardly. Otherwise, i'd be speaking russian right now if cheating, lying and stealing your way through a war wasn't a legitimate tactic.

I should know, we invented the style :p

CorNokZ

This documentary came out while my brother was in Afghanistan and I didn't watch it until he was back safe. My gf was dying to see it and I told her that she should, but it would be without me and when I finally did see it I chose to do it alone. Gives a good all-round view on things. If you get the chance you should see it, but take into consideration that there are some really strong scenes

Armadillo Official Trailer HD - YouTube

Gwadien

Mostly Russian weapons. My brother has been in that hell hole twice, and most of the guns, mines, RPGs etc. are either Russian or Chinese. The mine my brother drove onto was Russian

Yeah, well, the Americans gave the Taliban money, to buy guns - which beat the Ruskies, The Ruskies did a runner, leaving guns behind, so the Taliban just had a free upgrade:p

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Why the fook are infantry walking around anyway?
With no protection whatsoever from a bomb except caution, it beggars belief to think of what's going on out of sight, even the Apache pilot gave a sarcastic smile about 'maybe' doing illegal stuff.
But most soldiers come home unharmed, every one who gets blown up should get 5 million quid in the bank straight off, it would focus the generals attention a bit more I think.

CorNokZ

Cause down in 'The Green Zone' you are not able to drive around in heavy armored vehicles. If you were to drive around in a jeep of some sort 'He' would have a much easier chance to take you out with IEDs. Foot patrols are very careful where they step, looking for things that seem unusual or different, never walking the same paths etc etc. But in a vehicle you are very limited in which paths to go, you can't seek cover as well in case of enemy fire and you won't be able to notice a tripwire etc. before it is too late.

The Danish soldiers have support from 'High Ground' with tanks, moters and so forth. So it is not like they are walking around like targets, they actually know exactly what they are doing

soze

I am a FH squatter
Plus you can't win the hearts and minds of the people if you just hide in a APC while the bad guys rob them blind.

I do believe there is a way to win this war but not an acceptable way. At the moment a Taliban can run round the corner and drop his gun and he is all of a sudden off limits. Its the way it has to be to stop innocent people being killed. But it gives them an easy out if they get too close to being killed. I also read that spotters directing mortar fire were not allowed to be shoot because they were not holding a weapon.

CorNokZ

They are allowed to be shot, and they do get shot. Atleast the Danish soldiers take them out

Gwadien

Plus you can't win the hearts and minds of the people if you just hide in a APC while the bad guys rob them blind.

I do believe there is a way to win this war but not an acceptable way. At the moment a Taliban can run round the corner and drop his gun and he is all of a sudden off limits. Its the way it has to be to stop innocent people being killed. But it gives them an easy out if they get too close to being killed. I also read that spotters directing mortar fire were not allowed to be shoot because they were not holding a weapon.

Too right - People want the war over and done with but because of the small amounts of bad press that the armed forces get (Mainly American) means that all these rules have to be implemented, they watch them lay IED's in the ground, but there's nothing they can do about it because of the process of giving orders etc.

CorNokZ

If they see someone carrying a weapon, placing an IED or scouting they are in their rights to engage without breaking the 'Rules of Engagement'

soze

I am a FH squatter
If they see someone carrying a weapon, placing an IED or scouting they are in their rights to engage without breaking the 'Rules of Engagement'

Re carrying a weapon, the problem comes with losing them and then seeing them again with no weapon, you know if the guy who was shooting at you but as he is now unarmed if you shoot its your arse. I have never been to war this is mainly what I have got from the Ross Kemp type shows and reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom