fidsk, format & xp

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I just stuck a new (old) drive in my case (just for backup....not the os)...problem is...it was from a broken RAID & it needs a full-on format & fdisk - it is detected as an IDE drive on startup - but xp cant see it in the os (my computer).

My question....can I reformat this disk using xp or the xp install disk? Ordinarily, I would use a win98 boot floppy. Unfortunately, I have a fancy usb keyboard/mouse that doesn't work with the boot floppy, hence I need to move on & modernise the way I format disks...

Ta

Smurks

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
doesnt it show up in
Administrative tools -> Computer management -> diskmanagement ?

If the disk shows up there you can partition and format from there

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
edit: sibanac beats me to it :)

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
sibanac said:
doesnt it show up in
Administrative tools -> Computer management -> diskmanagement ?

If the disk shows up there you can partition and format from there

sadly, I dont have that option :( must be cheapo xp home ed :(

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Nope, its definitely in Home Edition too.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
smurkin said:
sadly, I dont have that option :( must be cheapo xp home ed :(
are you logged in with an admin account ?
You can also got to it thru settings-> conftrol panel -> Performance and Maintenance ->Administrative Tools->Computer management->Disk management

Kathal

Fledgling Freddie
Yep. I have it on my home edition.
Im logged in as admin.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
sibanac said:
are you logged in with an admin account ?
You can also got to it thru settings-> conftrol panel -> Performance and Maintenance ->Administrative Tools->Computer management->Disk management

Thanks...I'll try again. Yup, I have admin - problem is, I am near Manchester...no phone, no mobile & no DSL at home...so I'll print this post from work & try again tonight.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
smurkin said:
Thanks...I'll try again. Yup, I have admin - problem is, I am near Manchester...no phone, no mobile & no DSL at home...so I'll print this post from work & try again tonight.
Oh yeah sameone told me samething about that, how bad is it out there ?

Clown

Part of the furniture
There was a fire or something. They only just let in the engineers this morning, but couldn't say more.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Clown said:
There was a fire or something. They only just let in the engineers this morning, but couldn't say more.
The exchange is in the dis-used nuclear bunker underneath most of the city-centre (that's an official secret apparently :p) and a lot of lines were down. I've just got my ADSL back but I've had the phone always (I don't know why and I can't be arsed to ask). My work is in salford so we weren't affected. Worst hit seems to be businesses, or at least they're whineing the most.

They say they've got engineers working around the clock on the problem. They say they should get most it up by today but some people might have to wait until the 2nd.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Well, fellers...its 95% good...the advice on disk management seems to have worked a treat :) Phone is back on, as is dsl....no mobile yet, but hell, there's nothing like being without modern creature comforts for a couple of days to make you appreciate what you got (thank god the TV didn't die).

Thanks again :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom