FFXI or DaoC?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Odd, i've been playing 2 months and am currently at lvl 62 with my mainjob and subjob at 35.

Indirect RvR is already implemented via conquest and expeditionary forces.

PvP will make it much more interesting ^^

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
ST^ said:
Uhhh yeah Dill... join a Japanese group and have no idea what they're talking about, how they're going to play, how you're supposed to be playing... it rarely works.

It usually tends to be much easier than trying to group with a bunch of spoilt, whiney, fat, 13 year old yanks trying to look big on the internet though.

Jugvayne

Can't get enough of FH
I've found it alot harder to actually get into FFXI than daoc, it seems ffxi is just so much bigger and more daunting. :eek7:

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
ST^ said:
No, its not.

It definitely was from where I was sitting. All I got from Japanese groups was lots of levels. All I got from yanky groups was lots of deaths, group splits, abusive PMs and general annoyance.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
I've not grouped with any Japs yet, but I've only heard good things about Jap groups. I've grouped with plenty of Americans and it's generally lots of downtime/afk's, hanging about waiting, argueing and/or looking up Renkei's and then trying to explain how to macro them :rolleyes:

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Dillinja said:
It definitely was from where I was sitting. All I got from Japanese groups was lots of levels. All I got from yanky groups was lots of deaths, group splits, abusive PMs and general annoyance.

At what level? 10-12? Try it a bit higher when it matters if people know what everyone is doing or not. There are also sucky jap groups, as there are sucky american groups.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
We solved the grouping issues with making a regular exp group, everyone know what to do and when, resulting in very few deaths, 2-3 step Renkeis as often as possible, etc. If nothing else, it is loads of fun since you can actually chat with your group instead of:

Pickup Group said:
... silence...
... silence...
zzz: pull faster xD
... silence...
xxx was just killed.
yyy was just killed.
zzz: ok, my refridgerator just went boom!, cya!

If you're going to do this though; Make sure your group will work against all mobs, for your own sake. ( /em just got in-level with the rest of the group as a BLM )

Jerelyn

One of Freddy's beloved
DAoC >>>> FFXI imho

DAoC: :cheers:

easy controlling.
easy qbar.
able to strafe left/right
nice fast funny lvling.
then rvr which can be fun.
nice and easy crafting.
easy interface.
zergs!! (yes they can be fun imo).
funny little easy-finding-around-in-with-a-map-world.
spec your character as you like, gimped or pwnage.
camp/group xp bonus!
lvl 50!
your own house and consigment merchant, and various trainers planted around.
8 char slots.
easy trading between chars.
"resting" HP and power while moving.

FFXI: :puke:

badass annoying controlling which is almost impossible to do with a mouse.
only keyboard controlling, with weird non costumable setup.
not able to strafe left/right
no easy Qbar (everything to be macroed first).
bad bad BAD interface.
waaaaay too big world. :(
only one "spec" (getting "skillups:" "your club skill rises 0.2!").
takes too damn long to lvl.
no rvr/pvp (yet).
crafting is horrible and slow
2hour ability (!!!!) which sucks ass bigtime.
lvl 75
Moogle (is your friend) (ugly, overhappy teletubby-wannabe).
1 char (2nd is to be payed for(!!) )
mooglehouse.
subjobs where you can takeover skils from mainjob, and the other way around.
only able to rest hp and mp while sitting down.
Auctionhouse (8 item consigment merchant).
trading between character over a distance.
Renkei (or Skillchain, based on TP)

edit: OOOH!! forgot fishing in FFXI! that is perhaps the most interesting feature in that game!

have any questions? ask away.

-Jerelyn

this was MY opinion, i guess my BF has a totally other opinion, since he's playing ffxi 24/7 nowadays.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Jerelyn said:
DAoC >>>> FFXI imho

easy controlling. it indeed lets you customise your keyboard, which is indeed good.
easy qbar. to organise yes, but its a bigger pain to use with just 10 avaible slots and changing to another qbar being harder to do than in FFXI (where you have 20 slots per qbar with use of alt and ctrl)
nice fast funny lvling. leveling in daoc was imo worse than FFXI and generally daoc's pve isnt really found to be thrilling and FFXI's has been said by most people to be better than daoc's one
then rvr which can be fun. true RvR is a great asset to daoc
nice and easy crafting. crafting in both games is easy and is mostly found boring and you are bound to one craft when you choose it in daoc, which isnt the case in ffxi
easy interface.
zergs!! (yes they can be fun imo). zerg vs zerg is fun, but one of daoc's greatest problem is that if you are really outnumbered it isnt fun to be on the dead side
funny little easy-finding-around-in-with-a-map-world. really dont get what you are talking about
spec your character as you like, gimped or pwnage. you can spec your character in FFXI by the use of what weapons to use and what subjob and generally in daoc it isnt good to spec your class gimped as it will trully decrease amount of invites you get into pve groups and RvR (if you only group with guild that isnt a real prob). however in both games you can customize your character
camp/group xp bonus! and you got xp chains in FFXI
lvl 50!
your own house and consigment merchant, and various trainers planted around. plants that you can grow and you dont need trainers in ffxi (well every 10 levels you need to visit your craftguild, but that is just as often as you need to visit your craftingguild in daoc )
8 char slots. which you will need as you can only play one class on a character
easy trading between chars. just as easy as it is in FFXI though (and transfering money is even easier in FFXI (as you dont have to spam the money to get to 900 gold)
"resting" HP and power while moving. hp goes really slowly and power is ok and it only works well if you are moving to another site for exping you would need to rest. However both can be done with regens (spells/songs iirc)in FXI aswell
you sound HOORRIBLY bias.
FFXI:

badass annoying controlling which is alnost impossible to do with a mouse. im actually managing fine with the controlls, but there it is indeed mostly keyboard related and non consumtable
keyboard with weird non cosumable setup.
no easy Qbar (everything to be macroed first). but then you can put /wait commands in it and have list of 5 commands you can put under one macro, so you can be warned when a short timered ability is ready again or can with press of one macro you activate several abilities (really handy for sneak+trick as thief and probably many other abilities)
bad bad BAD interface.
waaaaay too big world. b] the world is hardly as big as daoc is(it certainly gets smaller when you get chocobos and even smaller when you ask/get teleport[/b]
only one "spec" (getting "skillups:" "your club skill rises 0.2!"). lol you do know that you could level other weapons when you are own weapon is capped on mobs while exping or just hit weak mobs till it is reasonable level and start leveling (or use the weapon with one of the other classes). I myself have club at lvl 40 and sword at 45 (could have had another weapon at 30 as I level more than one class
takes too damn long to lvl. actually leveling for me went faster than it did in daoc, if you are above level 10 you better off grouping and you do need to get good groups though
no rvr/pvp (yet). got conquest system though if you like to compete against others, but yes no killing of players
crafting is horrible and slow fishing is slow, but getting to legendary takes ages in daoc so getting to 70 (which is the cap in most or 90 for fishing) isnt so strong that it takes long. Also you cant make anything useful(well 95% of your orders will be for lvl 51 stuff) until you are legendary in daoc, which isnt the case certainly not for fishing nor cooking and there are enough people at all levels to need all level stuff
2hour ability (!!!!) which sucks ass bigtime. a suicide ability where you lose no exp, hitting criticals on every hit, dodging every hit thats done on you or curing everyone to full in your group those are sucky??
lvl 75
Moogle (is your friend) (ugly, overhappy teletubby-wannabe). agree the moogle isnt really special but it can be funny at times
1 char (2nd is to be payed for(!!) ) with the ability to play every class in the game on just one character though and you only pay 1 dollar for the 2nd one (13 dollars iirc for the 1st char)
mooglehouse. which doesnt cost you any money compared to housing in daoc(but is also less customable
subjobs where you can takeover skils from mainjob, and the other way around. uhm you can have as many jobs as you want, you can only play one at a time though. Subjob system is where you get some of the stats+hp+mp and abilities of the class(and spells) you chose as subjob
only able to rest hp and mp while sitting down. you can hardly get hp back while standing, so you usually want to sit for that aswell
Auctionhouse (8 item consigment merchant). its 7 ;) and it doesnt require you to pay up 4 plat to get it
trading between character over a distance. it would be better to mention it as that you can send items to peoples mog house, where they can choose to accept, throw it away or send it back (which means you can always give a person money or items or trade with them and they dont even have to be online)
Renkei (or Skillchain, based on TP) which makes pve fights way more challenging and certainly when you use manaburst (better check this for an explanation)

have any questions? ask away. yes off course ill ask someone who doesnt know about mana burst, doesnt know that the AH has only 7 items and probably never got above level 17 (so no subjob, no chocobo's and only seen a very small amount of the game).

-Jerelyn

Also you can become a lumberjack (you can cut your own wood) in FFXI.

DAOC is a nice game, but FFXI is hardly as bad you make it sound and almost all your negative points in FFXI is due to bias.

FFXI does have slightly harder control with the keyboard, but i dont have much problem with it now (but I always used the keyboard for 80% of my actions in daoc). you do need a group on later levels to exp, but this is also a good point as it makes the game groupbased.
Now besides pve'ing you can be busy with getting your country to win the conquest for that week (by setting up Expeditionary Forces to certain zones), doing quests/missions (which are actually fun to do (with movies)). Also you dont need to delete your character, because you have got the wrong weapon or wrong class. Allthough you do need to level up the class again, you will still know the learned skills and could switch back to them when you need to (friend needs help or you want to use that weapon again). Also there are maps in game, so you dont need to go some website to look at the map (allthough you might want to get a map that shows you what maps are connected to eachother or you could ask in your linkshell(s) (the FFXI variant of /gu more or less) or a friend.

My view is prolly biased aswell, but my post was mainly aimed at setting some of the stuff Jerelyn said straight. I still think FFXI is a nice game, but if you are really into RvR then this isnt the game for you (atleast not yet (not exactly sure what the PvP patch will bring us)).

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Going to add comments in-quote. But seeing how this is your opinion, you'll flame away and bitch as usual when someone says something that you don't agree with.

Jerelyn said:
DAoC >>>> FFXI imho

easy controlling. - could it be that you're used to the controls after approx 2 years?
easy qbar. - but inflexible
able to strafe left/right - wow, such a feature. You can strafe in FFXI too, using the lockon-feature.
nice fast funny lvling. - funny leveling? nowhere near ffxi in comparison there, you tried what, 7-8 levels?
then rvr which can be fun. - yep, that's the point of Daoc. Be bored for 50 levels and then you can have some real fun.
nice and easy crafting. - Actually, crafting in FFXI is far superior to daoc. Daoc is in the stoneage in comparison.
easy interface. - could it be that you're used to it after approx 2 years?
zergs!! (yes they can be fun imo). - This falls under RvR section, doesn't really count.
funny little easy-finding-around-in-with-a-map-world. - But you have no in-game map, FFXI have that. Also, could it be that you're used to the maps after approx 2 years? Daoc actually has a larger map btw, so you're dead wrong too :p
spec your character as you like, gimped or pwnage. - But you are stuck to jobs or have to pay to respec. In FFXI you can have all jobs on one char, and all weaponskills etc.
camp/group xp bonus! - errr, so? You get exp-chain bonus, but I guess you never saw that soloing.
lvl 50! - Ya, 50 levels you have to endure to finally get something fun. Lvl 50 was the highest level in FFXI in the beginning too.
your own house and consigment merchant, and various trainers planted around. - for a cost, in FFXI your house is free and yes, you can furniture it as you please.
8 char slots. - so? in FFXI you don't need more char slots.
easy trading between chars. - FFXI has this also, it also have a delivery box system which means you can trade to your alts ( if you have any ) or send stuff to friends that aren't online right now ( or out hunting ).
"resting" HP and power while moving. - You can do this in FFXI too by using food. ( another fun aspect in FFXI )

FFXI: :puke: - you're not biased at all, are you?

badass annoying controlling which is almost impossible to do with a mouse. - Could it be that you haven't played the game enough? The controls are lovely in comparison once you're used to it. Ditch the mouse and have some fun instead.
only keyboard controlling, with weird non costumable setup. - It is customable, did you bother to find out if it was?
not able to strafe left/right - You are able to strafe in combat using the lock-on feature.
no easy Qbar (everything to be macroed first). - Which is TONS more flexible. You're able to, for instance, swap equipment around with macros. You can also do more than one thing in each macro.
bad bad BAD interface. - Not really, no? Could it be that you're not used to it?
waaaaay too big world. :( - What's bad about this? It's not like you have to be all over the place. It gives variation. There is also ways to get to the other places very fast.
only one "spec" (getting "skillups:" "your club skill rises 0.2!"). - So you get better at what you do, how's that a bad thing? Seeing as how you can swap weapons to a staff and get skillups for that too, and then later in game being able to swap at your wish, using the best weapon for the occassion; How is Daoc better with 'If I use an axe my entire life, I'll be a master at hammers when I'm 50!' ?
takes too damn long to lvl. - Not if you learn how to play.
no rvr/pvp (yet). - It's not built around PvP. It has tons of lovely quests and missions with an actual on-going storyline, cutscenes etc instead. That's the point of FFXI. It's a role-playing game ( you know, the RPG part of MMORPG ), not an FPS ( or 3PS ) like daoc.
crafting is horrible and slow - It is lovely if you find one that suits you. And ofc know how for instance the auction house works and where to find the guild shops.
2hour ability (!!!!) which sucks ass bigtime. - May I ask what class you played? There are tons of 2hour abilities ( Monk's Hundred Fists comes to mind ). And yes, it can be used every 2 hours as a lifeline for the group. Those 2 hours are real time as well, you don't have to be logged in for the timer to count, unlike daoc.
lvl 75 - Is the latest level cap, with tons of new stuff added every time they raise the level cap to entertain the high-level folks. Once again, getting max level isn't the point in FFXI, unlike daoc. The fun is in the journey, it doesn't begin once you reach the maximum level.
Moogle (is your friend) (ugly, overhappy teletubby-wannabe). - You haven't played any of the old Final Fantasy games, have you?
1 char (2nd is to be payed for(!!) ) - Once again, you don't really need more than one char. You can be all classes, get all weapon'specs', all crafts on one character. You don't have to redo the quests over and over just because you need more characters. ( Ancestral Secrets 10 times each time, for 5 characters is what made me 'quit' daoc. )
mooglehouse. - Ah yes, your free house as mentioned above. Personal vault keeper, gardening etc. ( another quite fun feature of FFXI )
subjobs where you can takeover skils from mainjob, and the other way around. - You never quite got the point of them, did you?
only able to rest hp and mp while sitting down. - Not true, use food or magic and it will work. Once again, how high level did you attain?
Auctionhouse (8 item consigment merchant). - 7 items, one of the best features of FFXI.
trading between character over a distance. - Delivery box system, another great feature. You can also send stuff to your own house from here.
Renkei (or Skillchain, based on TP) - Extremely fun feature if you take the time to learn fully about it.

edit: OOOH!! forgot fishing in FFXI! that is perhaps the most interesting feature in that game! - You also forgot Logging ( lumber jack ), Mining, Excavation and Harvesting - not to mention Gardening.

have any questions? ask away. - But ask anyone else than:

-Jerelyn

this was MY opinion, i guess my BF has a totally other opinion, since he's playing ffxi 24/7 nowadays.

I'm sorry to say it Jerelyn, but I don't think people should ask people that haven't really played the game about what it's like.

It's quite obvious you didn't like FFXI, and getting various points of view is always good for those thinking about ordering the game. But taking the piss at features, and at the same time being wrong about them, isn't really helpful. That's why I tried setting the record straight here, it's not a personal attack against you; It's defending a game that I like very much. ( and yes, I do like some aspects of Daoc still ).

You also forgot to mention that you can get a Chocobo. That's like getting a horse at a horse merchant, and then being able to ride it wherever you want ( except into towns ). But once again, I'm pretty sure you never got to that level.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Oh, and I forgot this part; which is so true and bares repeating :)

ECA said:
Indirect RvR is already implemented via conquest and expeditionary forces.

PvP will make it much more interesting ^^

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
FFXI is great :) - The lack of full on PvP promotes a very friendly atmosphere, and the very group-centered gameplay is muchos fun :D

In FFXI, you can take things at your own pace. You can do what you want, when you want, without any worries what so ever. I'm taking a break from FFXI at the moment, because I want to spend more time the missus and the family, but I'm not worried, because I know that when I come back there will always be someone to group with, thanks to subjobs :)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Jerelyn said:
DAoC >>>> FFXI imho

FFXI: :puke:

badass annoying controlling which is almost impossible to do with a mouse.
only keyboard controlling, with weird non costumable setup.
not able to strafe left/right
no easy Qbar (everything to be macroed first).
bad bad BAD interface.
waaaaay too big world. :(
only one "spec" (getting "skillups:" "your club skill rises 0.2!").
takes too damn long to lvl.
no rvr/pvp (yet).
crafting is horrible and slow
2hour ability (!!!!) which sucks ass bigtime.
lvl 75
Moogle (is your friend) (ugly, overhappy teletubby-wannabe).
1 char (2nd is to be payed for(!!) )
mooglehouse.
subjobs where you can takeover skils from mainjob, and the other way around.
only able to rest hp and mp while sitting down.
Auctionhouse (8 item consigment merchant).
trading between character over a distance.
Renkei (or Skillchain, based on TP)

lol I could rip this apart so easily. The control system rocks as long as you aren't a retard, as does the macro system. The interface is a kabillion times better than daocs.

A big world is a bad thing these days? What you smoking?

Extra chars cost... about £0.14 per week... ouch :(

You can gain HP/MP with bards, food, spells, etc.

Strafing? You can run left/right without the camera changing its view, its not far from strafing, and you can in battle.

>>only one "spec" (getting "skillups:" "your club skill rises 0.2!").
Not quite sure what the problem here is?

Leveling doesnt take long, getting groups does.

etc etc etc, you dont know what you're talking about tbh :(

Jerelyn

One of Freddy's beloved
Driwen, you are right in many of your views. so are you, ST^.
and if you wanna "rip apart" my opinion about FFXI then be my guest, you still can't cange it.
that i've still not learnt alot of features from FFXI, doesn't change the fact that it's not "my game"
i STILL think it's not as good as some of you says.
and seeing i'm not a powergamer (no offence intended) i cba spending alot of time on a game that i don't like much. i'm talking first hand experience here..
get me right here, there are a lot of nice features in FFXI, and a lot bad features in DAoC. i was just expressing my FIRSTHAND experience with FFXI. The game is so much harder to get "into" than daoc. NWN for example was much easier than FFXI.

Driwen: i have a.. eh.. lvl 12 fighter and 8 whitemage. i think, can't remember.
Each man his opinion

-Jerelyn

thank you for your replies to my post btw, opened my eyes ;)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Jerelyn said:
and seeing i'm not a powergamer (no offence intended) i cba spending alot of time on a game that i don't like much.
That is ofcourse true, however - the need for actual powergaming is far far less in FFXI than Daoc.

I feel much more relaxed when playing FFXI. You can log on, play for about 20-30 minutes if you want and then log. There's plenty of stuff to do, in your own pace :)

Nalistah said:
if u like PvE and only PvE, buy FFXI :m00:
If you think that FFXI is only about PvE, and especially if you're thinking PvE in Daoc terms, then you haven't really played FFXI; You couldn't be more wrong. Stop generalizing and spreading that crap as if it was the truth.

FFXI is a cooperative game ( mostly anyway ). It doesn't appeal to the "wtfpwnj00!" teens that plague daoc. ( or atleast they quit very soon ) And for that I thank whatever higher powers made it so. :worthy:

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Jerelyn said:
Driwen, you are right in many of your views. so are you, ST^.
and if you wanna "rip apart" my opinion about FFXI then be my guest, you still can't cange it.
that i've still not learnt alot of features from FFXI, doesn't change the fact that it's not "my game"
i STILL think it's not as good as some of you says.
and seeing i'm not a powergamer (no offence intended) i cba spending alot of time on a game that i don't like much. i'm talking first hand experience here..
get me right here, there are a lot of nice features in FFXI, and a lot bad features in DAoC. i was just expressing my FIRSTHAND experience with FFXI. The game is so much harder to get "into" than daoc. NWN for example was much easier than FFXI.

Driwen: i have a.. eh.. lvl 12 fighter and 8 whitemage. i think, can't remember.
Each man his opinion

-Jerelyn

thank you for your replies to my post btw, opened my eyes ;)

I can understand its can be your opinion, but you presented them way more as truth and thats why 3 people responded to it rather fiercely. Your opinions might influence people to decide not to try this game, while you leave out some of the facts and twist some of them (easy interface of daoc versus real hard of FFXI, I have no problem with FFXI's interface after playing a month). You left out the good system (or atleast poorly explained) of being able to share classes, didnt truly explain the renkei system (probably because you dont understand it).
You basically ditched anything about FFXI and enllightened almost every part about daoc. With a lvl 12 and lvl 8 you know probably only 5 to 7% of the game and you didnt include this in your post aswell. You know VERY little about FFXI as you havent played it for more than 24 hours most likely, but people might have read your post as if you had played it for a few weeks and then stopped. You might already know its not your game, but it might be best next time to tell people that you have had a very limited amount of experience with the game, before you give a review.

and have to agree with whisp about powergaming, in daoc, because of RvR there exists a way heavier need to keep up with the powergamers than there exists in ffxi. There will always be people who are lower level and people who are higher level than you, so no real need to rush through the levels.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Whisperess said:
That is ofcourse true, however - the need for actual powergaming is far far less in FFXI than Daoc.

I feel much more relaxed when playing FFXI. You can log on, play for about 20-30 minutes if you want and then log. There's plenty of stuff to do, in your own pace :)

If you think that FFXI is only about PvE, and especially if you're thinking PvE in Daoc terms, then you haven't really played FFXI; You couldn't be more wrong. Stop generalizing and spreading that crap as if it was the truth.

FFXI is a cooperative game ( mostly anyway ). It doesn't appeal to the "wtfpwnj00!" teens that plague daoc. ( or atleast they quit very soon ) And for that I thank whatever higher powers made it so. :worthy:

:worthy: :worthy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom