FFA maps

O

old.DaNig

Any chance of a change of maps on the second FFA server plz? :)

I think the maps on the first FFA server are fine (dm2,ztndm3,dm3,ukcldm2,e4m3), tho peeps do seem to drop on dm3, ukcldm2 and e4m3 if there aren't many players, but with 8 players u get a v good game.

As for the second FFA server, how about a selection of small maps so if there are only 2 peeps on there they can at least duel it out until other peeps join instead of dropping when larger maps come around. Maps like ukckldm4 are a waste of time here even with 8 players I think.

I actually saw some peeps on the second FFA server after midnight tonight for the first time, and smaller maps might encourage more peeps to join and actually stay on ;)

O

old.Relix

I third it.

Even tho I spent 1/2hr downloading all of those damn maps :-P

Btw, dm3 sucks for ffa, e4m3 rawkz :)

H

HangTime

ztndm3 ztndm6 aerowalk bless ztndm5 contamin dm4ish a2
all small-ish hi octane maps suited for up to 6 players in ffa

of course when the custom ffa server was up 1yr ago, no one played there cos of the lame maps, and it was taken down. All these great changes for bw qw servers were discussed ~4-6months ago when ceno was doing more work on kteams.... and nothing has happened. Im no expert on server configurations but i cant image it would take more than 15mins to change the map rotation on an ffa server... edit the config and shift a few maps across the network mebbe.

<rant>
I think we have to accept the fact that now Q3 is out and BW has hit the big time commercially, qw is regarded as dead as far as the majority is concerned. The game which to some extent made BW what it is today is now way down the list of priorities. Zany mods for q2 q3 ut cs etc have new servers thrown at them every day, we are stuck with a clapped out league server which chokes at peak times on league nites (eg mcw when all 3 servers in use). I cant find the server specs on the new site but i think im rite in saying Barry.barrysworld.com is something like a dual p2-266 with EDO ram. obviously BW has to provide most of the new kit to games with a bigger following, but giving some crackpot/joke mod like freeze tag/catch the chicken (however fun these may be) spanking new kit and regularly updated map cycles - while qw's league server is the oldest bit of kit on the network - doesnt fill me with enthusiasm about BW commitment to qw.
</rant>

ok so i was a bit carried away there, i think what im trying to say is; dont hold ure breath w.r.t. map changes :)

O

old.DaNig

Tbh, I get a bit sick of hearing of new mods for q3/cs etc and then reading about spankin new servers goin up straight away myself. I just couldn't give a shit about the latest games personally. I don't need to play summit coz it's new or coz every1 else is playin it, I just love my qw ffs :)

Btw, if anyone there is listening, the maps HT suggested are fine with me.

O

old.DaNig

I see noone at BW is even bothering ro reply to these posts about the second FFA server maps, just as other requests regarding QW servers have gone unanswered. Doesn't any1 there at BW give a shit about anything other than the latest games/mods ffs?

C

cenobite

Just thought I would jump into this thread. Before I comment let me say that I *DO NOT* work for BarrysWorld. Anyway, now thats out of the way on with other things. Most of what I say is based on either informed speculation or insider information ;o

The kit that QW boxes use is new kit as well. I presume this because the old kit took up too much space for the power the box provided. Bear in mind they are charged by weight/space so more power you can pack in a box the better. There are two QW liasons within BW. I suggest your first port of call is to contact them. OOps I am one of them :eek: The other being a BW employee Lecter.

As has been pointed out QW is well down the list of priorities and to some extents rightly so. Right in that QW will not bring any new people to BW. Wrong in that if BW do not support the existing games that created them, then they are showing themselves up to be a faceless corporate entity. Which in turn would make the 'By gamers for gamers' slogan utter bullshit. The question that remains is this :

'By gamers for gamers?'
or
'By gamers only for ££££'

Now before you email me asking me to do X Y Z let me say this first. I recently went through the KTeam configs of which I know a little about ;o and sent new configs to BW. This was to upgrade to KT2.2 as well as adding in some extra config options such as vote kick blah etc..

I do *not* know if, as yet, these have been implimented so kindly let me know in here if KT2.2 is on the servers. If it is then I can put in a new config for the FFA servers to sort this out. If not then who knows what to do.

I myself played Quake since the beginning and accept that people can still want to play it and want to make sure that people can play it. Hence the reason I took over KTeams from Kemikal. Although it sounds a bit trite and <sic> I do care if you peepers can play QW ok and I will try and sort it out. But ultimately only being someone who helps with configs at BW I can only do so much.

H

HangTime

no the servers havent been upgraded to kt2.2 (and qizmo hasnt been sorted either btw)

while in the wider scheme of things it is true, saying that "QW will not bring any new people to BW" isnt entirely correct. there have been quite a few qw clans formed in the past year, and it isnt only the same old faces with a new tag. QW isnt just old farts, it does also have a newbie commumity. of the current ~20 active clans, i doubt u would recognise half of them (never mind the new names in older clans). Ex-qw players like Sujoy and Bif seem to think that nobody new will come thru the ranks since they quit the game. They seem quite suprised to see demos of modern players they havent heard of displaying far more skill than the stars of yesteryear.

Personally i think its commendable that ceno still finds the time to spend developing for qw now he doesnt play it ne more. Perhaps the problem lies in that Dr Chris just has too much to do managing all the servers, and naturally his priorities lie with other games. Meanwhile the qw cfgs lie in the corner gathering dust ;(

O

old.DaNig

Hope the peeps at BW get round to putting the new KTeams configs on after you've spent time making changes Cenobite.

Btw Hangtime, what's this prob with the qizmo servers you've mentioned a couple of times?

B

bigfoot

I don't deal with server stuff for QW (i simply kick people who are using bots), i've emailed Chris pointing him here and asking about putting through the changes you proposed.

I gave up QW primarily due to work as i had to concentrate on Q3/UT so i guess i was kind of forced into it in a way, but not that begrudgingly as the game had started to bore me a little (remember when i stopped playing QW my clan had just finished 2nd in the UKCL Cup, 2nd in the MCW and had just won the MCW Cup). Q3/UT and CS offered new challenges, and i do not regret for one minute giving up QW when i finally did after a little attempt to get back into it.

BarrysWorld continues to support QW as much as it can. We are not investing massively into new hardware for it, although there are plans to move all the QW servers onto 1 new box and remove what you quite rightly say is an old machine. Not sure when this is due to happen. If we were, as you say, in it for the £££ we would have killed all our QW servers a long time ago as they currently take up space which could much easier (and more cost-effectively) be used for other games/servers. We continue to host the UKCL/UKPL/MCW and run 2 very popular TF servers and perhaps in the near future a TF league. I've not had any complaints from derv or matsui about the servers, if there were problems they should have contacted me.

I am of the opinion that if people want to play QW then great, but having 20 active clans does not contribute a vibrant community. Of course you are going to get people coming through who are reasonably good, they have had the past 9 months or so to get to that level. I haven't seen a QW demo this year other than an old one from a Fusion lan, so how i can be "quite suprised to see demos of modern players they havent heard of displaying far more skill than the stars of yesteryear." i'm not sure.

Also its true that some of these people won't have been heard of by us ex-qw'ers, because now that most of the good players have gone there will be more scope for average players to progress or make a name for themselves. Yes you do get some of the old stars still playing, but its mostly limited to a few diehards who haven't found a better game which suits their frag needs. It will come as little surprise I personally thought QW was great in its time, but that time was a while ago now imo.

As far as i am aware we still support QW more than most, if not all, UK based GSPs. We were of course the first non-Wireplay GSP to take on QW in a big way, and i guess ceno does what he does because he has always been a part of QW @ BarrysWorld, from its early days with the MCW.

Ultimately you are right, more resources go on other games. This is however because other games have more players.

B

bennyboy

Hi folks,

Sorry for the delay on the KTeam configs - I'll be implementing them today, so please bear with me if there are any niggles.

Next... FFA configs... let me know what you want, I'll discuss it with the liaisons and hopefully we can get more use out of the second server.

Yours most apologetically,

BennyBoy

H

HangTime

Bif:

"If we were, as you say, in it for the £££"
i think ceno was just using that for his argument :) i never said that

the thing about demos was in relation to a thread on XSR, where sujoy was discussing aim in qw/q3. In the heat of my argument i included your name cos of the earlier point, some things that were said w.r.t. the merits of continuing the UKCL now that most of the 'legendary' clans no longer play qw :) i dont blame anyone for moving on from qw, thats their decision, what i dont like is when they start criticising those that still like to play it and saying stuff like 'qw is dead, move on' (and no i am not claiming this to be a direct quote :) )

Users who are viewing this thread