Feedback Re. DAOC mods

Novamir

One of Freddy's beloved
Hi, is there a chance that daoc mods could please get a review of what counts as being helpful/necessary, and what counts as totally butchering a forum please? Ziva has always been a bit silly but over the last few weeks sharma for one seems to be locking threads for fun and Jupitus(?) appears to really dislike most people and is punishing them for something.(Exc RvR discussions)

I agree that sometimes topics which are about something completely different should be locked, but there is a certain community of people that post on the RvR discussions on exc and most of the recently locked threads i feel shouldnt have been, as there were discussions and so on. One of the problems with locking loads mean that even the slightest chance that something will get locked means that idiots post thinsg like IBTL and so on, which automatically means a thread would be locked.

Totally apart from the current mods, how about getting mods for each forum that are part of each community, and know the 'feel' of the forum? Some threads are made for a joke yes, but who really cares for post count? If its obvious spam topic of course it should be locked but i wish the mods sometimes had more of a sense of humour/decency for others. I don't wish to be called a mod-basher or anything but i think mods should not rule a forum, just trim here and there instead.

thanks

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've always admitted that I don't entirely understand DAoC affairs so I'll refer this thread to Ted & Deebs for ya.

Regards
Rob / MYstIC G

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
2 cents:

The DAOC-assigned mods have a tough job to do with the number of flaming type posts, particularly at the moment with the advent of TOA. We also have Adari as an assigned mod exclusively for the notorious eOT area. I feel they do an excellent job, but on some occasions people start getting out of order with them and that is where I will always step in and back them up. If I seem to be harsh around the DAOC areas then please try to also consider the time and effort I put into sticking and unsticking the current tidal wave of ML raid threads before passing judgement on whether I hate the DAOC community...

eOT in particular is where I will back up Adari on his request, and things get out of hand and he asks me for help he gets it. It's as simple as that.

DAOC forums already have assigned mods who are a part of their community. If people act civilly towards one another, and try to resolve ingame issues with other ingame or via reporting them on RightNow rather than name and shame or flame threads then I see no reason for change.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
sometimes it seems sharma closes threads for the thrill of it.

i noticed some even wonder how hes a mod, with hacking the servers n all.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
tris- said:
i noticed some even wonder how hes a mod, with hacking the servers n all.

I spoke to Kemor in advance of Sharma becoming a mod and he confirmed that he has no bad marks in the book with GOA and they were happy for him to take the role on. All mods are different as it comes down to their own take on any situation, and as far as I can tell Sharma does just as good a job as the others.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
no bad marks? sharma admitted to doin it :p.

anyway though, it is just imo that he closes threads for no reason. its not up to me who does what.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I agree with Novamir. The way the DAOC forums are being run currently is a joke.

Ziva

Fluffy
Novamir said:
Ziva has always been a bit silly
Erm... thanks... dunno what i deserved that for since i never ever received a pm from you saying you felt i locked a topic that shouldn't have been locked.

As i said when i started modding, if anyone feels a topic is closed by me for non valid reasons they can send me a pm with reasons on why they feel it should be unlocked. I'm not perfect and i'm not at all afraid to admit my mistakes.

However, i did close a few topics lately and you know why? Cause some people seem to use these forums to vent their anger and frustrations by taking their little flamewars out of game causing other people to think bad of them for non valid reasons. Yes.. this usually fucks up threads that could have been nice discussions but thank the people who ruined it. Only reason i lock is to prevent them from getting worse resulting in banning users.

Anyway, if you care to explain where i went wrong for you feel free to pm me. Untill then for me you are "just another mod baiter" i'm afraid.

Novamir

One of Freddy's beloved
believe me i am not a mod baiter, but i do have a problem with mods that feel they need to make themselves known. i would much prefer that threads were left to 'die' rather than be locked- since usually by the end of some argumentative thread, people start being silly/make up. it's all online stuff really, but i hope you get my idea.

from my personal experience, PMing daoc mods (except Damini actually) about locking threads gets abuse back or no reply - or did on the old BW forums anyway. all i wanted from the thread was to let Ted and Deebs know that many feel the daoc mods are being lock-happy at the moment. and btw i don't want the daoc forums anywhere else. (not like it's up to me though ;))

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
the same old story. "we need a mod to control things". Mods are assigned, and then the cry of "Mods are to harsh" springs up.

Mods lifes are never easy :( Hats off to them for the effort tho (even Jup ;) :) )

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I wasn't complaining as such, was making more of an observation really.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Has been noted and taken on board.

I will not be removing the DAOC forums so all my regular forum users, pack it in or else I will have to slap ya :p

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Deebs said:
Has been noted and taken on board.

I will not be removing the DAOC forums so all my regular forum users, pack it in or else I will have to slap ya :p

*bends over*

:kissit:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom