Feckin Sony

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Here's a word of warning for anyone considering buying a Vaio desktop - don't.

I've just knackered one of the internal power leads from my PSU to my harddisk (its a long and painful story - let's just say I shouldn't be allowed inside a PC as I'm a fuckwit and leave it at that :)). I can probably fix the problem by using a splitter off another connector, but I'm nervous about causing more damage; sooo, I called Sony about getting a replacement PSU (because guess what, they use proprietary ones, reason number one not to buy Sony). They charged my £12 just to take the call, because I'm 3 months out of warranty :eek7: (reason 2), and they won't sell me a PSU! They insist it has to come back to them for repair (reason 3). Finally they won't tell me what it will cost until after they've seen it, but it could be between £100 and £300! (reason 4).

As soon as its fixed I'm flogging it on eBay and buying a shuttle.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Fell into the fancy looks before engaging your brain eh :p

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Crikey, sounds like Dell ;) Happy as I've been with their products, their support does often leave a lot to be desired. Again, certain proprietary parts, non-freephone support numbers (compounded by painful email support), and an unwillingness to divulge repair prices without contacting a service technician and booking it in first.

Hope it all gets sorted

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Which desktop did you have? The VAIO desktop range is rather gorgeous in design terms for the most part :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Jonty said:
P.S. Which desktop did you have? The VAIO desktop range is rather gorgeous in design terms for the most part :)

Oh, its a lovely PC - PCV-RZ422P - 3GHz, decent RAM, 2 DVD writers, tv tuner, loads of memory card options etc. it looks the dogs and its really quiet, but I foolishly didn't check on the power expandability for the latest graphics cards (I was also in 'couldn't be arsed building it myself' mode). You live and learn...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Ooo, nice system :) Hope it gets sorted, but even if you do end up building a Shuttle, I'm sure everyone will be on hand to offer their two penneth worth :D

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom