Favourite director(s)?

M

mank

Self explanatory, name away!

Martin Scorsese
David Fincher
Quentin Tarantino
Stanley Kubrick

I'm not sure whether to include Guy Ritchie, because regardless of what anyone might say Snatch and Lock Stock are pretty fucking good provided you don't expect deep and meaningful morales and the such. But then he made Swept Away which is a pile of shit apparently. mph.hfmhg.

A

adams901

In no particular order

Martin Scorsese
Micheal Mann
Quentin Tarantino
Francis Ford Coppola
Luc Besson

M

mank

I couldn't decide whether or not to include Luc Besson as I've only seen a couple of his films and Leon is the only real class one :/

toughy!

O

old.ignus

Ridley Scott
James Cameron
Peter Jackson
Francis Ford Coppola

T

Tom

Scorcese
Coppola
Mann
Tarantino
Zemeckis
Spielberg
Shaylaman

Not forgetting Kevin Kostner for Dances with Wolves (no, seriously)

J

Jonaldo

Hm not many that haven't already been mentioned :(

Joel Silver?
Steven Speilberg?

Not that I really care too much about direction, I usually just go to see films based on reviews and descriptions rather than just who's in it and who directed it.

D

djpringle

Francis Ford Coppola
John Woo
Sam Peckinpah
John Carpenter

A

adams901

Originally posted by mank
I couldn't decide whether or not to include Luc Besson as I've only seen a couple of his films and Leon is the only real class one :/

toughy!

I seen 3 of his films, all class in my humble opinion....Leon, Big Blue and Fifth Element.

OMG I forgot all about John Woo, Hardboiled was a great film. I also like the way he always manages to include 2 white doves in all his films.

S

Sir Frizz

Ridley Scott
James Cameron
Quentin Tarantino
Stanley Kubrick

and...

Spiegelbergen

S

Sir Frizz

Originally posted by old.ignus
Not forgetting Alfred Hitchcock

I dislike him. Thought the original Psycho and Vertigo were utter wank.

D

djpringle

Forgot about Hitchcock as well, liked him for Rear Window and North By Northwest.

X

xane

John Carpenter (Dark Star, Escape from NY/LA, Big Trouble in Little China, They Live, The Thing), not only directs/produces but writes, acts and composes for films.

S

Scouse

Used to like Speilberg but he's gone soft and mushy and completely lost the "killer touch" that he once had. Old age and comfortable living I guess......

Used to like the visual direction of John McTiernan. But he's shit nowadays....

Hitchcock was great - Psycho was shit IMHO - but Vertigo is a masterpiece, as is Rear Window and North by Northwest = teh win! :)

1tchy trigger

Originally posted by xane
John Carpenter (Dark Star, Escape from NY/LA, Big Trouble in Little China, They Live, The Thing), not only directs/produces but writes, acts and composes for films.

Carpenter is indeed teh daddy! You forgot to mention Halloween and Assualt on Precinct 13.

Has gone to pot a bit recently though - Escape from La was utter tripe, as was Ghosts of Mars, but I enjoyed Vampires so there is life in the old dog yet. Heard he might be working on Halloween 9 BTW.

M

mank

Originally posted by adams901
I seen 3 of his films, all class in my humble opinion....Leon, Big Blue and Fifth Element.

Not seen Big Blue but I watched Léon again last night and forgot how much I love that film. I'll stick Besson on my list again then :)

S

Scouse

Leon, whilst ace in it's own right, leaves me kindof thinking that they've missed the trick somewhat.

I think it's a one-trick pony movie - but it's got some of the best performances those actors are ever going to give - so any shortcomings in plot etc. are covered well.

And it's the one film I've seen Nathalie Portman in when I wouldn't shag her!

1tchy trigger

Oh come on - not even a sly poke when nobody's watching?

T

Tom

La Femme Nikita is better than any of those films.

J

Jonaldo

I forgot Kevin Smith! :rolleyes:

Liked all his films so far, even when they aren't funny sometimes they are just stupid enough to be good :)

L

leggy

Originally posted by Tom
La Femme Nikita is better than any of those films.

Nikita is good i'll give you that but unfortunately leon pisses all over it tbh.

M

.mef.

1.Quentin Tarantino
2.David Fincher
3.Martin Scorsese

T

Tom

Originally posted by leggy
Nikita is good i'll give you that but unfortunately leon pisses all over it tbh.

Yeah but Nikita is so tough it justs drinks it up.

L

leggy

Originally posted by Tom
Yeah but Nikita is so tough it justs drinks it up.

It's a completely different style of film. though. It's like saying fig rolls are better than kiwi fruit.

I liked them both but leon was much more emotionally intense. I felt nikita was a bit bland. Probably due to some of the wooden acting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom