Favourite beer/ale/bitter/lager or wine

Damini

Part of the furniture
Being a complete philistine, I wouldn't know the difference between bitter, ale, lager or any sub groupage of beer (have I missed any?) and it's only once in a blue moon that I ever drink beer, and that's usually only after we've run out of Strange Foreign Drink Lurking In The Back Of The Drinks Cabinet, and drain cleaner, but I know that beer is a very emotive subject for the male species.

So which beer is your staple? Which beer is your special occasion beer that you would heartily recommend other people try? Which beer makes you want to rip out your tongue and beat it against a toilet wall to purge the taste?

I'll try to remember the name of this new beer that my brother swears by, and Kenny has now developed a taste for...

Or alternatively, which wine? Is there a wine that is just absolutely spot on for those special occasions? Are you a red or a white person? I tried Captain Hook wine once, because it had a pirate on the label, and being shite at choosing wines I thought that would make it taste exotic and dangerous... It tasted like they'd forced an old pirate to wee in a bottle :( So that's one to avoid, though I doubt anyone else here is stupid enough to get pulled in by the OLD PIRATE WITH PARROT marketing ploy that so wonderfully lured me in.

Get recommending people!

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
San Miguel all the way \o/

When that's not available i'm open to drinking most other foreign lagers, quite like Staropragen or however it's spelt oO ... other than that...Carling, since it seems to be a staple lager of pubs right now :(

As for wine, can't drink the stuff these days, since i drank a box all by meself one night (had nothing better to do) and ended up over the bog for the rest of the night :(

Although Rosé is a nice change, and if i Really had to drink wine, it'd be that or a decent white, don't know the names, i'm as useful as you in that respect Oo.

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Love my Grolsch as a regular at-home beer, when out somewhere that stocks it Budvar is very nice.

Wine speaking a nice bottle of Californian Zinfadel suits me :)

Thirsty now.

Jimmae

One of Freddy's beloved
cumberland ale from t'pub

from a bottle/can, erm, blacksheep ale or old speckled hen

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I like Koninck, that's a yubbly beer :) I'm also one of the strange people who actually like the taste of guinniss but cba to spell it properly. I do try for 2o/o3 though ;) in summer I like the german double white beers. 4tehwin!!, and you get them in 0.5ltr glasses which is nice. normal beer would be grolsch. that's a proper beer I guess. accept no others heehee.
wine? I like nearly any reasonable pinot noir-esque vino. teh yum :)

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
San Miguel?!

Ack after spending 4 months in Spain you can't stand the stuff.
And its oten the only beer you can get there, unless you want to pay ridiculous prices for some imported beer.

When am at home i usally drink Grolsch or Carlsberg, and when i go the pub its Guinness all the way.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
A day like today, something very cold and light in colour from the fridge when getting in from work is great. Usually I buy whatever named lager is on offer from Tescos for this particular summer style drinkage.

It is usually either Stella, Grolsch or Carlsberg Export, in bottles. More often than not one of these is on offer at half price for 24 bottles.

In the pub however it is normally a pint of bitter, IPA, Tetleys or whatever is good at the time.

I am too old to be a drinking snob now, however I'm sure this thread will shortly descend into a list of unknown beers that people will name to try and sound cooler than the next man.

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
Being an Ale drinker, I tend to explore the vast choice on offer. So here's a small selection of my favourites...

1. Morland Speckled Hen - Probably most popular and widely recognised, a fine Afternoon Ale. Not been too heavily hit by its mass-production.
  2. Morland Hen's Tooth - A more refined Speckled Hen, really. Stronger at 6.4% so a little bit more bite.
  3. Fuller's London Pride - Quite heavy over 3/4 pints, but absolutely gorgous. Tasty.
  4. Fuller's Golden Pride - This is tres heavy. 8.4% - Can knock you over. - Not found in many places, sweet caramel beer.
  5. Adnams Broadside - 6.4% strongen. Suprisingly light for its weight, but a proper au natural oak noted taste.
  6. Fuller's ESB - A casual, easy supping.
  7. Theakston's Old Peculiar - Proper dark old beer.
  8. Pedigree - A relatively light and fruity beer.
  9. Hoegaarden - White Ale. The Summer drink, imo.

I'd say my favourite is London Pride, at the moment.

* This is the best thread in some time. Well done.

Vae

Resident Freddy
ESB, London Pride, Youngs Special are all standard nice beers :)

Bombardier, Fullers 1845, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Coniston Bluebird, Abbot Ale, Spitfire are just a few of the other decent drops about depending on how lucky you are :)

But in the glorious sunshine like today I don't think you can go beat a decent continental lager (e.g. Staropramen, Budvar, Diet Pils NOT piss water/fighting juice like Fosters, Carling or Stella) or White Beer (Weiss Bier) e.g. Lowenbrau, Hoegaarden etc

(Ok technically Stella is a Blond Beer but it doesn't mean I can't take the piss :p )

Hmmm I think I'm an old man in a young mans body :(

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I drink Leffe which is a trappist blond beer.

All trappist beers are fantastic though, had some caramel flavoured stuff the other day - yum.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Wife for that thirst quenching pint. 1664 or Leffe if it's just a chilled out drink.

I love red wine, we have to many to name in the house, but I suppose any Hardy's red floats my boat.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
Catsby (possibly unsurprisingly) drinks ales.

Catsby knows that ales are tricky, as everyone has a preference. However, Catsby strongly recommends "Champion Ale" which has a light fruity flavour.

Otherwise, he recommends going to a supermarket and buying one of everything!

echo

Fledgling Freddie
Hoegaarden is the ultimate in refreshing pints, but hits you where it hurts (your wallet).. After that, Flowers Original, Bombardier, or London Pride. Yum yum.

Had a pint of Flowers with my dinner today in the pub before work \o/

Damini

Part of the furniture
Anchor Steam, that's the beer that my brother swears by, and Kenny's taken a shine to. I *think* its an ale, it's sold in the section with the stubbly bottles with weird labels, so maybe Catsby or some other ale-ophile should give it a whirl.

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
echo said:
After that, Flowers Original, Bombardier, or London Pride. Yum yum.

Had a pint of Flowers with my dinner today in the pub before work \o/
Blimey didn't even know you could still get Flowers. Haven't seen in it pubs/supermarkets for years (or maybe i'm just being blind). Very nice :)

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
Typically pints of Kronenberg 1664, as it's the best lager in my local. Or perhaps Stella Artois in another pub. Czech beer is mostly all nice, as I found while visiting Prague, so for bottled stuff I'd tend to go for Budvar or Staropramen

echo

Fledgling Freddie
gremlin said:
Blimey didn't even know you could still get Flowers. Haven't seen in it pubs/supermarkets for years (or maybe i'm just being blind). Very nice :)

It's been in my local for as long as I've been going there, love it :D

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm where do I start

Guiness the best Irish stout

Any German beer but particularly the cloudy white or dark (dunkel) wheat beers such as those made by Erdinger or Franziskanner.

Any Belgian beer. My favourite (only cause thats all I can get hold of is Duvel, Hoegarrden and Leffe (the dark Leffe only)

The hard stuff:
Black Bush either with ice of a good quality Ginger beer
Tequilla with ice or as a Margharita.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I am very proud to be the first person to say Budweiser. Yes, I mean the american one, not that Czech piss with the rancid aftertaste. I remember a barman in St Andrews tried to scoff when I asked for Budweiser instead of Budwesier, giving me an intensive lecture about how the Czech version was far superior. I simply reminded him that the customer is always right, I think the American one is nicer making him wrong. He swiftly got me a gloriously chilled bottle of Bud. Budvar isn't the most rancid lager in the world however. That honour falls to Grolsch. It tastes like out of date Foster's, which gives me a clue as to where "We only let you drink it when it's ready" came from anyway.

Apart from Bud Tennent's and Foster's are supremely nice and drinkable, which is what I'm looking for in a lager, as it helps the cause of drinking more of it. I'm not a huge fan of ales, tho am partial to the odd pint of Guinness or bottle of Newcastle Brown. I don't go in for spirits or wines at all - they all taste pretty nasty. I'd much rather eat sweeties than drink now anyway. Staggering like a twat all night or dancing like a monkey - imo the monkeys have it.

Sigurd

Banned
Budweiser - the american version. Best damn thing to come out of america apart from the plane for England, and KFC - and easily the most refreshing beer I know of...

snake75

Fledgling Freddie
i totally agree darlin, Budweiser is the King of beers, stella is crap, kronenbourg is fine drank in paris, but bud is the best

wine.....red, Rosemount Jigsaw, cant get it in this goddamn country anymore, apparently the aussies dont even make it anymore, but it was shiraz mataro grenache...hmmmm

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Waggledance fer ale.

Don't really drink much else. My lust for beer and other forms of booze has dwindled in the last few years.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Brains SA is my bitter of choice. Otherwise i drink Tiger beer due to a lack of choice of anything good and wholesome out here, i refuse to drink Fosters. Tastes like piss.

I'd place Jack Daniels above all them tho, but you diddnt ask for whiskey :/

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I've been a Stella drinking for the past 5 years, ever since my old boss was usually too pissed to remember that I drank StrongBow (At that point) and continually bought me Stella.

Wines. I fell in love with a sweet White Wine from Tesco's that I think was their own. They either don't do it anymore or have changed the label. I have a very, very sweet tooth and this satisfyed by liver as well as my tooth.

I can't stand any kind of bitter. It's like drinking a carpet!

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
If i want to release some anger then Stella is the way to go, as for wine, anything Red and over 13% does the trick.

You trying to see wot gets a fella drunk ? :D

I've edited this 3 times now to get this post right, been on the stella tonight :( (not that i'm angry but it does make u see :m00: and other weird shit )

Vae

Resident Freddy
Anchor Steam? <Checks Good Beer guide>
Hmm closest I can find is Anchor Street Porter from the Crouch Vale brewery.
Checks web... Ah it's American that's why! Hmmm looks decent enough though which is more than you can say for a lot of American beers :)

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Guiness is my staple, but I usually like to see what the guest ale is like.

As xtro said, trappist beers (I call them posh belgian beers) are very nice and a bit strong. But xtro you have to admit leffe brown is fucking evil stuff. I bought some thinking I'd be right down my street...yeesh. I managed to struggle through one bottle of it.

As for wine I'm a sucker for spicy reds. Rioja and temranillo (not sure what the difference is). Also Malbec, chillian stuff and merlot.

All of my female friends absolutely adore matteus rose. There's adverts for it around. I'm fairly sure I've tasted it but I can't remember if I liked it.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
As xtro said, trappist beers (I call them posh belgian beers) are very nice and a bit strong

Belgian beer is great just dont go to Belgium for it, went there on a stag weekend, what a shithole and all the beer is crap, i think they export all the good stuff and keep the rat piss for the tourists :puke:

Hi, my name is Bob and i have a drink problem :drink: :twak: :fluffle:

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Ale ale ale all the way, Badger's Golden Champion is great summer stuff.

Hoegaarden does indeed rock, go for a Forbidden Fruit red brew though, just as refreshing but 8.5% and a lovely flavour.

My recent favourite tipples are Gulpener Korenwolf (hoegaarden drinkers will love this) and Paulaner weissbier (naturtrub). A spot of Asahi if it's hot too, best of all is an afternoon down at the cider farm though :).

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
snake75 said:
i totally agree darlin, Budweiser is the King of beers, stella is crap, kronenbourg is fine drank in paris, but bud is the best

wine.....red, Rosemount Jigsaw, cant get it in this goddamn country anymore, apparently the aussies dont even make it anymore, but it was shiraz mataro grenache...hmmmm
You best have fuckin still got my bottle of wine, that was a damn nice bottle of red!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom