Far Cry 2

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
is very, very, VERY good

only things counting against it :

SecureROM (i think it is, may need to double check) some poeple dont like
and apparently there is ingame advertising. i havent noticed any yet, but there is product placement (hi Jeep)

beyond that, it is an epic game, very nice engine. well worth a look if its your thing, Game are selling it for 25 quid, or its in Steam for you download types

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've seen adverts for it and it looks awesome. Can't decide to get it for the PC or PS3.

Nate

FH is my second home
Aye my bro got it the other day, had a lot of trouble with the serial code. The 8 turned out to be an S, I really dislike games that have these limited number of installs. If I come back to it a number of years later(like you do with retro games) I'll not be able to play it if I've already had it installed on a few computers :(

Mabs

I've seen adverts for it and it looks awesome. Can't decide to get it for the PC or PS3.

it has the safe houses thing, you clear a safe house, you can rest and save there
i dont know if thats all you get on the console ?
pc does have a quicksave aswell, seems out of place, so not sure.

and what spec is your pc ?you want a really spangly one to get the most out of it, so...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
3 GHz Core 2 duo 'Wolfdale', Radeon 4850, 2 GB ram (soon to be upped to 4 though).

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Got it in steam, not hugely impressed, will give it a real go in the week though, all it seems so far is go to point x and kill someone. Though it is nice to plan an ambush and such I cant see it having much life in it.

Stalker revisited so far.

Looks lovely though :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm really enjoying it so far, and was seriously considering paying for it, but the securom thing kills it. Fuck it, I'll stick with the download until they remove that shit. Why the fuck should I pay for something that's more restrictive.*

*I'm aware I've moaned about this incessantly but I DON'T CARE! :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
wait, what?

Look up SecureROM, they limit the amount of installs you can do, once they are used up you have to buy it again. Its supposed to somehow stop piracy, when in fact it encourages it. There is absolutely no real reason for doing it except to piss people off.

It shows how lazy the publishers are in their battle against piracy, they bitch and moan and come out with random numbers for piracy figures and blanket punish everyone. Usually it takes 2-3 days for a pirate copy of a game to come out without the secerom bollocks. I always download the pirate version along with buying the real version, burn it onto a disk and keep it, that way I have the game forever and have also paid for it, thus supporting the PC game industry and making sure I have my product for life.

Mabs

Look up SecureROM, they limit the amount of installs you can do, once they are used up you have to buy it again. Its supposed to somehow stop piracy, when in fact it encourages it. There is absolutely no real reason for doing it except to piss people off.

It shows how lazy the publishers are in their battle against piracy, they bitch and moan and come out with random numbers for piracy figures and blanket punish everyone. Usually it takes 2-3 days for a pirate copy of a game to come out without the secerom bollocks. I always download the pirate version along with buying the real version, burn it onto a disk and keep it, that way I have the game forever and have also paid for it, thus supporting the PC game industry and making sure I have my product for life.

actually its not, you can remove them and stuff, its a bit wierd. you can also get it reactivated , its like windows, you use it X times, then they get suspicious, you have to ring a (usual premium) number and talk to some guy in mumbai who resets the usage on that key

its still a pain in the tits tho, however!

how many people, honestly, reinstall a game 6 or more times ?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It entirely depends on the game. I don't even want to guess how many times I've reinstalled Grim Fandango.

Mabs

It entirely depends on the game. I don't even want to guess how many times I've reinstalled Grim Fandango.

thats fair enough

personally if its an ace game i will leave it on hdd indefinately, so even stuff i play loads, ive only ever installed 3 or 4 times, mostly for new hdd or on a format :)

Nate

FH is my second home
Well I'm installing it now on my computer, and my brother has it on his one. If we both decided to reformat our hard-drives we'd have trouble installing again on one machine I guess. I don't like that by playing on a PC you have a lot more of this stuff to deal with then on a console. Do consoles have anything like this?

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Just started playing it on the PC today, its alright, fun combat, shiny graphics, 24 hour day/night cycle, very free-form etc, but for all that so far there hasnt really been any one thing that has impressed me as much as, say, crysis did.

I expect it'll be fun to play through but nothing much beyond that :) Oh, and that secureROM limited install bollocks can fuck right off!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
had some reading up about it and it isnt THAT bad. still shit if the HDD crash tho...

According to ShackNews, Far Cry 2 will install SecuROM:

Ubisoft forum manager bukowski113 posted the deatils on the game's official forum:

# You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.
# Uninstalling the game "refunds" an activation. This process is called "revoke", so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.
# You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)
# Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.
# Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you'll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

Far Cry 2 Uses SecuROM DRM - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Again... it all smacks of fucking pointlessness when I can download it and have NONE of these problems. Where's the incentive to pay for the product? I think they'll find they'll make more money with a carrot than a stick. There's no doubt I'd be paying for this if they didn't have this bullshit attached.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Well all that protection has long been bypassed, which is just as well tbh.
Bought it on Steam myself - and paid for it twice due to a cockup with their system at the time of purchase, still waiting for a refund.
I'm half tempted to get a refund on the entire thing tbh, so far I'm not enjoying it - but my taste might just be changing due to getting old.
Not just that - the Steam version is *also* SecuRom riddled. The game was installed the night before last (Friday night). I had my first SecuRom flavoured problem today, a rare bluescreen and lock which traced back to Securom's failure to do something or other.
And why a Steam game needs that sort of protection I don't know - it annoyed me enough having TrackMania riddled with Starforce. These people blatantly need locking up. And lets face it, should I have bought the game with physical media at the shop, I'd have naughty-naughtied it to avoid putting the ruddy disk in all the time.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Played three hours on it today - supposedly played through "8% of the game", I'm starting to warm to it I think.

Some of the missions are a bit samey; alot of 'go there, do that', but I really like alot of the features this game has - having a 'buddy' come and available to help you out every now and again is a nice touch, and the firefights can get kinda interesting when you get out into different area's.

There's something about the game I like. I wish the enemies were a little tougher at times, but other than that it's pretty good fun I think.

It suffers from what all sandbox games suffer from I think, the whole "hmm what now?" thing where you kinda lose motivation to do anything - a lack of purpose or sense of urgency. I do think that its worth it though once you get into it a bit.

Its not easy to say exactly what it is that I like about the game, I just do :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'm starting to hate it more and more tbh.

Still suffering from the fullscreen bug Crysis has on this sytem (and many others.)
They can make a beautiful looking game run nice and smooth but not a simple 2D mouse cursor.
I know it's only for the sake of the game but "twist a random wrench here 5 times to fix this vehicle" - I know it's not Sim Mechanic but christ - bring back the trojans!
And now I keep dying, I think of malaria. I have to get to Mikes Bar to get the remedy/pills but I die before getting there. Nice. That's probably something I have to figure out though.
Better yet, in figuring out the above, one time the car I had previously fixed was still, as it should be, running. Every time after, I had to re-fix the car.
All this and I'm only 10 minutes in.
Yet last week I replayed through Half Life 1 in it's entirety and had no loss of motivation to carry on - only to force myself to quit to eventually get into bed :)
Sorry, but PCGamer are showing their true colours by giving games like this scores like 94%. Suckers for a nice graphic :|

Mabs

when you use your malaria pills, you get an icon bottom left, you take out the pot, shake one into hand, swallow it. if your look into the pot and its empty, you need to get some more - head for a upright fist icon - church etc, and run some passports to a safe house and get some more medicine, it should tell you on objectives when you are running out aswell if you arent on a mission

and i love finding little odd things that are really nice touches. had an assassination mission, sidled up to the spot, hid in the shrubbery, scoped out the building, got the C Gustav rocket launcher out, fired it.. Mission Complete.. ok time to..er...shit!.. the backblast from the gustav had set the field on fire, i died rather rapidly

its well worth taking time out to do the missions for the gun shop blokey, to unlock stuff aswell, tho about 1/3 of the weaps wont unlock till your in the 2nd area after the "transition"

out of interest did anyone use anything other than the first bloke offered ?
wondering if it has any effect on the buddies you get :/

im 54% through atm , just passed into second area, and its got quite mindfucky, which is nice

Aada

Part of the furniture
Going to get this for the 360 so i don't have all the PC crap you get with PC games :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
like better textures and longer draw distances? :p

Amok

Fledgling Freddie
There are various implementations of secuROM and, in fairness, Far Cry 2 is fairly reasonable in theory - 5 installs, uninstalling frees a licence.

BUT... however they implement it, secuROM is inherrently bad. Why?

1) It installs itself without asking. When you install the game it installs secuROM. No software should be allowed to install on my PC without my express consent.

2) It doesn't have an uninstaller. Once it's on, you need a reasonably good knowledge of PCs (or windows at least) to get it off.

3) And this is the killer. Most software runs in 'ring 3' (think of a ring as being a tier of security layers on your PC, ring 3 usually applications, rings 2 and 1), the idea being that in ring 3 it doesn't have direct access to anything it shouldn't do and, if it fails, it doesn't take the whole PC with it. SecuROM runs in ring 0. This is the 'kernel', the heart of the operating system. Software with access to the kernel can access and control anything the operating system can.

No application should be able to access the kernel, let alone one I didn't ask to be installed and can't remove.

I bought it and downloaded a crack so I could install it without secuROM... Go figure.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
I've started playing this today, i'm quite impressed to be honest.

I initially thought it was lacking something, but i realised that was in the way i was playing it. Now i'm not running around trigger happy and being a bit more thoughtful to my approaches etc it's improved the gameplay no end.

For example i was going to safe houses, guns blazing. Sure it worked, with a few scratches - job done. But not really satisfying. So the next one I snuck up on it, threw a molotov at a nearby shrub and watched as the baddies burned alive in their cosy hut - much better :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
There are various implementations of secuROM and, in fairness, Far Cry 2 is fairly reasonable in theory - 5 installs, uninstalling frees a licence.

BUT... however they implement it, secuROM is inherrently bad. Why?

1) It installs itself without asking. When you install the game it installs secuROM. No software should be allowed to install on my PC without my express consent.

2) It doesn't have an uninstaller. Once it's on, you need a reasonably good knowledge of PCs (or windows at least) to get it off.

3) And this is the killer. Most software runs in 'ring 3' (think of a ring as being a tier of security layers on your PC, ring 3 usually applications, rings 2 and 1), the idea being that in ring 3 it doesn't have direct access to anything it shouldn't do and, if it fails, it doesn't take the whole PC with it. SecuROM runs in ring 0. This is the 'kernel', the heart of the operating system. Software with access to the kernel can access and control anything the operating system can.

No application should be able to access the kernel, let alone one I didn't ask to be installed and can't remove.

I bought it and downloaded a crack so I could install it without secuROM... Go figure.

i think they changed the ring 0 issue with the 7.x versions. atleast it says something about that on the wiki about secuROM.

/edit:
SecuROM 7.x, if run under a non-admin user account, installs its own service called UAService7.exe, which works in ring 3 of the computer's operating system.

no idea what that actually is tho :)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
i think they changed the ring 0 issue with the 7.x versions. atleast it says something about that on the wiki about secuROM.

/edit:

no idea what that actually is tho :)

Could be some secret goverment organisation that infiltrates computers for all we know :D (the Ring 0 / 3 or whatever)

Oh, anyone else got the taste for blowing things up a whole convoy with 3 packs of explosives, makes some insane explosions.

Poag

m00?
Completed the game twice now. Doing as many side missions the first time as a could, the second time...just going nuts with the grenade launcher.

For those near the end, I chose the diamonds both times, if you choose the "other" option let me know the result :)

With the diamonds you survive, take the civies over the boarder and end up talking too Ruben

I found the ending quite compleing as its not some rosey happy clappy ending, but quite true too the current world.

For my second fun run through I elected too cheat, turned on unlimited ammo and went too town. Had a HUGE shoot out in Pala with mg249 on the roof in the center and arm loads of grenades and ammo....game is worth it just for that "see how long you can survive".

How many of you killed the British and SA guys when you got the chance and sided with the Russian?
I did :p

Kryten

Old Cow.
Out of idle interest, other than the unlockable missionswhat are the other cheats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom