FAO: People suffering from frequent crashes and LDs

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
I've been having quite a few problems the last few days with crashes and LDs while playing DAoC.

I searched through this forum and found quite a few threads by people having similar problems, with various pieces of advice and suggestions posted in response. I tried them all, with varying degrees of success, but nothing completely fixed the problem.

So, I trawled through various other online tech-help forums and eventually came up with a potential problem.

There is an issue with GeForce and Radeon graphics cards when used on motherboards with VIA chipsets, due to nVidia and ATI both setting their cards to a high PCI Latency in order to achieve high performance under benchmark testing. However, while this gives good benchmark results, it also hogs the PCI bus and prevents other PCI cards from gaining access when they need it. This means that you get crashes which appear to be caused by your Sound or Network cards (stuttering sound on crash, network disconnections, etc). Adjusting the PCI Latency so that your other cards have their fair chance at accessing the PCI bus may lose you a few fps, but it will also stabilise your system.

Click Here to download a PCI Latency Config tool

The assorted advice I have read suggests decreasing the PCI Latency on your graphics card to 104 or 128, and increasing your network cards, PCI Latency to 128

I altered my settings earlier, and have not had a single crash all night... even during the Hibs attempted siege on Caer Benowyc!

Hope this helps everyone else as much as it has helped me!

Gamah

Banned
nice find...hopefully will help out a few peeps..thx for the share \o/

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
ehm my gfx card is using an agp port. does pci latency rly affect those cards?

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Amiga said:
ehm my gfx card is using an agp port. does pci latency rly affect those cards?
Yes. The AGP port still uses the PCI bus to communicate.

crazymofo

Fledgling Freddie
:( same here nothing.. keep lding every 5 - 10 min.
this help a little.. but i still keep lding like mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom