FAO: KanonFodda / anyone else with a dedicated gaming server

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
can you advise me on the in's and out's of renting such a server. who's a good GSP and what would be a good price?

is it a better idea to rent a dedicated server and install a game myself?

do tell, thanks in advance :)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
ZhG use Game2xs.
We currently have a DoD server, CS:S and CS CZ all on a single, dedicated box. We also have a teamspeak server on there too.

The cost is.......a fair bit, I can try and find out if you like matey.

G2XS started off well a couple of years back, but lately, theyve been a bit shit tbh. I know our server man has had no oen of problems with them.

Was that helpfull?? :(

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
.Wilier. said:
ZhG use Game2xs.
We currently have a DoD server, CS:S and CS CZ all on a single, dedicated box. We also have a teamspeak server on there too.

The cost is.......a fair bit, I can try and find out if you like matey.

G2XS started off well a couple of years back, but lately, theyve been a bit shit tbh. I know our server man has had no oen of problems with them.

Was that helpfull?? :(

Wouldnt recommend G2XS - in fact I believe ZhG are looking at other providers.

TdC

well, currently there are 20 or 30 workmates and extras (ie kids, neighbors, etc) who play CoD together on a box at the end of someone's ADSL line. the guy who hosts it wants rid of due to various reasons and besides that, adsl isn't the most optimum way to do these things.

the only thing we really want is to have full access to the box, or at least as much access that we can install mods and maps and things that we'd like :)

I'm a bit torn between renting a dedicated linux box and installing the software myself and renting a dedicated gaming server with games preinstalled (if that even exists heh)

Will

/bin/su
I used to use UKShells gaming servers. Its just a shell account, and you install and configure everything. I'm not sure how competatively they are priced though, I used to get a better deal for sponsorship. :)

Edit : sounds like what you want.

Edit 2 : But I think they've stopped providing them...and they cost a lot if they aren't capped.

TdC

are you on a server with 200 other accounts or is the whole thing yours? the idea is to run a CoD server with some mods...

edit: oh, ok, I see :(

Will

/bin/su
If its just CoD, you'd be cheaper finding a deal for a standard server.

TdC

I dunno. I'll give it a google :)

Will

/bin/su
I think Clan Green used to use gameservers.net - they are based in Belgium, but seemed to ping very well to the UK.

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
damn, I had a load of gameserver links, but got rid of them when I got my new work laptop :(

the company I used to use was http://www.4netplayers.de

German website, so was a pain for me, but the service was absolutely excellent, I usually got a response to emails within 2-3 hours from their support people. Web admin is nice, works well

that worked out to £50 per month for the server, with untold games installed. This came with teamspeak as well. yo ucan only run one game at a time, but you have a huge choice. I really do recommend these people :D

as for others, I'll try and find some of the other sites I came accross.

/edit:

not sure on these, just random goodlage
http://clanserver.gamigo.de/
http://gaming.multiplay.co.uk/
http://www.gameserver4u.de/

TdC

wootness! I'll have a wee look :)

TdC

hmm I think it'll be 4netplayers. with 32 of us there will be a monthly cost for a 1 game dedicated server of 2.25eur and with 22 the cost will drop to 2.15eur pppm. brilliant stuff imo.

TdC

much obliged mister KF :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
http://www.servercity.co.uk/ will rent you a pretty decent machine with plenty of bandwidth for a ton a month, and between the load of you thats not too bad. You get 100mb dedicated line and about a 100gb or transfer, this is in the UK mind you, so you might be better off renting somewhere in holland (your dutch, yea?)

TdC

half dutch aye :)

the people we may run with are based in germany and ping more or less ok (iirc it was something like 30ms. that's better than your average DSL line here tbh :)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
and this is for a CoD server? hmmmmmm *intersted in kicking TdC's ass*

TdC

*bare all to Wilier*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom