FAO: IT gurus

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
I was thinking something in the lines of, OK, Mythic and GOA run different databases etc etc things we have heard in the past.

How is it then possible that one can play the game using the same client? (patching of course taken in consideration).

I got no idea about databases etc, but it would seem to me that if things are soo damn different, one would require an all together different client be able to play in the US servers, not just to update the EU one...

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Client just contains the game files, nothing else. EU and US both have different files (when patching) which just get added/removed.

Character stuff is stored in their databases, nothing else worth mentioning.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah but is it possible for the same client to communicate with different server setup in such an easy way? I got no clue, that's why I'm asking in the first place

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
i think GOA had to solve the problem of using the special character set needed in some european languages. If programmed well that won't need a lot of changed files in the game logic. Afaik most work GOA has on the patches is the actual translating. Kinda funny to translate US to English, for me its basically the same, i mean: who cares if you read centre or center.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The client isn't the same. When you patch from EU to US client you're replacing the DLL files which is the game client itself. It's things like the maps, textures, images which are usually the same.

The clients are similar from a users point of view (we get to play the same game), but they aren't identical.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Seeing as the Akitsuki server was recently clustered with the US servers, noone at Mythic can claim they can't cluster any other servers with theirs.
Whether is economically viable for them to do so is another matter entirely.

Probably the biggest headache they'd have though is untangling accounts that have chars on the other servers, such as camlann, classic and the german servers. That could get a right mess.

Danita

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Seeing as the Akitsuki server was recently clustered with the US servers, noone at Mythic can claim they can't cluster any other servers with theirs.

Probably the biggest headache they'd have though is untangling accounts that have chars on the other servers, such as camlann, classic and the german servers. That could get a right mess.

Danita

Asasuki was already run by Mythic in the first place

Eleasias

Can't get enough of FH

Danita

they used the excact same database for that server, only the interface was changed... completely different thing

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
The client isn't the same. When you patch from EU to US client you're replacing the DLL files which is the game client itself. It's things like the maps, textures, images which are usually the same.

The clients are similar from a users point of view (we get to play the same game), but they aren't identical.

They don't have to be identical. If the game wouldn't be so dead I could disassemble the files with code, change a few calls, assemble them again and prove that one can play with a GoA client on a Mythic server and vice versa.

Don't believe any bullshit that they spout before they don't tell you any basics, e.g. which database is used on the server and with what language/driver are the transactions done from the client.

From what I remeber the language strings on a GoA client are in a seperate folder, so I don't believe the hardcoded strings excuse too.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
They don't have to be identical. If the game wouldn't be so dead I could disassemble the files with code, change a few calls, assemble them again and prove that one can play with a GoA client on a Mythic server and vice versa.

Don't believe any bullshit that they spout before they don't tell you any basics, e.g. which database is used on the server and with what language/driver are the transactions done from the client.

From what I remeber the language strings on a GoA client are in a seperate folder, so I don't believe the hardcoded strings excuse too.

Same version - it'd probably work.

Different versions - it wouldn't.

Or it would work but the features would be fucked and the game buggy etc. Not much difference from usual then ! :d

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Same version - it'd probably work.

Different versions - it wouldn't.

Or it would work but the features would be fucked and the game buggy etc. Not much difference from usual then ! :d

It would work :) Reverse engineering game files to make them do what you wan't isn't impossible. Pretty sure you'd just need to apply some switches here and there to get it running properly. Hell, could just get rid of the whole patcher if wanted.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Think is that I see it like working on DAWs (Digital Audio Warkstations). Switching from Sonar to Cubase to Pro-Tools isn't extremely easy but it's not really that damn hard either, and all those programes are from completely different companies.

Obviously there are some steps that one has to do in order to migrate the files but it can easily be done. This is the same bloody game at the end of the day.

I'd really expect that a company would undertake the extra cost and effort to export the characters (and there should be a way to write up something that would do that automaticaly instead of having someone punching numbers all day long) just to keep it's clientele.

Oh well. Thanks for the replies guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom