FAO History/Politics geeks

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Doing some work on Disraeli & Gladstone, and I just thought, were they the start of this modern-day political stance of criticising the other party, instead of showing the positives of your own?

/discuss.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Don't remember much about it tbh although I was reading about them incidentally when reading up on our recentish monarchs a couple of months ago. I'll swat up and get back to you :)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Don't remember much about it tbh although I was reading about them incidentally when reading up on our recentish monarchs a couple of months ago. I'll swat up and get back to you :)

Although I hate my history course that I'm doing atm, it's quite interesting, just these pair, what they got up to, how much they hated each other in the world of politics...

When Disraeli died, he wanted a private funeral, as he was old, and didn't enjoy getting loads of publicity, Gladstone was PM when he died, and he ordered a state funeral - how bitchy?

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Doing some work on Disraeli & Gladstone, and I just thought, were they the start of this modern-day political stance of criticising the other party, instead of showing the positives of your own?

/discuss.

From what I vaguely remember no, the diss the other party propaganda had been going on since the days of Charles Fox and the Tory v Whigs in the 1700s. It may be, however, that Disraeli and Gladstone took it to a more personal level. I certainly don't remember doing anything while doing my A level history of British Politics which seemed to imply these two were the first to introduce the politics of criticism rather than promotion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom