Fantasy Books?

Meeks

Fledgling Freddie
Just finished reading book 10 of "Wheel of Time",

So, please come with suggestions on other great fantasy books/series i can read while waiting for book 11 ;)

Pippic

Fledgling Freddie
u reading non translated wheel of time? when they translate to swedish they split em into two... didnt know how manny there where, so 10 or 20 in swe?

Edit: oh and maybe u should try robin hobb, or if u like unserious stuff pratchett(sp?) discworld owns ;)

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Weis & Hickman: Dragonlance Chronics & Legends. After those The Deathgate Cycle (all of them)

The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings trilogy and Silmarillion, in that order. After that maybe The Unfinished Tales of Tolkien + everything else he wrote :)

That should keep you entertained for a while. :)

Meeks

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the tips

Have read all the works of tolkien, but will check out the other stuff :)

And there are 10 english books in wheel of time, and still not close to an end.
They split them up in norway too, but i always stick to the original language as long as it is english.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Might want to take a look at David Eddings Belgariad and Malloreon series (5 books each). I know some people really dont like him but i find the books very entertaining.

Ofc R.A. Salvatores books about Drizzt DoUrden (totally 12+ books). They are really, really good (imo).

As Lumikki said, Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance series... its probobly one of the best ive read.

Terry Pratchets trilogy; Truckers, Diggers, Flyers is also really really good... altho not so much fantasy...

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
George RR Martin, Song of Ice and Fire > all
Steven Erikson, Malazan Book of the fallen rocks too.

Eddings and Dragonlance are like fantasy light

Spellsinger

Fledgling Freddie
George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire (cant get any better then this)
Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth
Robert A Newcomb - Chronicles of Blood and Stone
Robbin Hobb - Assasins Trilogy
Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel's

In that Order :)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
terry pratchett cant praise his stuff always makes me laugh just cos of a well worded joke, his humour is twisted but not dark its very enjoyable reading once i get into one of his books i have a real hard time putting it down again

if i had to suggest a book of his id prob choose soul music not heavy on laughs but a really good story

if ya wanna laugh get the wee free men :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ian Irwine - The View From the Mirror (4 books)
Sara Douglass - The Crucible (3 books)

Tilda

Spellsinger said:
George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire (cant get any better then this)
Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth
Robert A Newcomb - Chronicles of Blood and Stone
Robbin Hobb - Assasins Trilogy
Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel's
The Assasins Trilogy is ace, i read them over my summer holiday.

Any Anne McCaffrey books in the dragon flight series, they all rock.
/edit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/sim-explorer/explore-items/-/0553103008/0/101/1/book/session/ref=pd_sexpl_x_b_ss/102-7712093-2080939

Another random book: Magician by Raymond E. Feist its a read on the LotR scale, but with more wizards and cool stuff, i liked it a lot :D

Tilda

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Forgot to mention, part of the Dragonlance serie, The Soulforge and Brothers in Arms... they are amazing, read them after Chronics and Legends. Also check out Dragonlance: The Next Generation. It's more like a novel book, exellent nevertheless :)

There's also the Dragonlance Fifth Age, but I don't think they are that good, the story goes all weird and strange.

One more thing, Dragonlance: The Doom Brigade is good, it's a separate story.

:)

Sigurd

Banned
A Song of Ice and Fire series... starting with A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin is the best series I've read other than Tolkien's work and the Discworld series. It feels a lot more real than any other fantasy whilst retaining a fantasy universe you can escape into. The characters are original, interesting and realistic... flawed as in real life. Blows the Wheel of Time series away, although the latter does still drag you into the plot. Magician I've just finished - it's worth a read but you'll need a lot of patience - doesn't get good for quite some time. A more lightweight fantasy, I'm reading the first sequel now out of lack of anything else to read more than anything.

Tilda

Sigurd, I loved it in Magician when Pug was in the arena, was sooo cool :D

Dekker

Fledgling Freddie
A bit different and not strictly fantasy in the normal sense but...

China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Quality book

Eroa

Banned
Pippic said:
u reading non translated wheel of time? when they translate to swedish they split em into two... didnt know how manny there where, so 10 or 20 in swe?

Edit: oh and maybe u should try robin hobb, or if u like unserious stuff pratchett(sp?) discworld owns ;)

Is 10 in english out so far.

mts

Fledgling Freddie
Sigurd said:
A Song of Ice and Fire series... starting with A Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin is the best series I've read other than Tolkien's work and the Discworld series. It feels a lot more real than any other fantasy whilst retaining a fantasy universe you can escape into. The characters are original, interesting and realistic... flawed as in real life. Blows the Wheel of Time series away, although the latter does still drag you into the plot. Magician I've just finished - it's worth a read but you'll need a lot of patience - doesn't get good for quite some time. A more lightweight fantasy, I'm reading the first sequel now out of lack of anything else to read more than anything.

Quoted for truth.

I've read alot of the better and worse fantasy out there and I think that mister Martin has something good going. Let's just hope he doesn't go the Jordan money escape route and drag the entire thing out.

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Meeks said:
Just finished reading book 10 of "Wheel of Time",

So, please come with suggestions on other great fantasy books/series i can read while waiting for book 11 ;)

I'm on book 9 at the mo :). All of Eddings books are very good (Belgeriad and Mallorean are my faves) and Terry Brooks has some good ones too. I have a copy of the Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A Salvatore which the wife is reading at the moment and she strongly recommends.

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not the kinda person that reads books on a regular basis or knows much about books. But I been reading Wi'tch Fire, already read the 2nd in the series Wi'tch Storm, and I just cant get enough of them, they great books imo. But like I said I prolly dont know the difference between a good book and a good haddock.

Pippic

Fledgling Freddie
Eroa said:
Is 10 in english out so far.

ffs seriously? i started reading the series from the beginning about a month back. third time i read it from start. i thought i had given that bastard jordan enough time to end it ffs... no matter how much this pisses me of i know ill keep reading it til my eyes bleed tho ;o

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Tilda said:
If you like the Riftwar books, I'd highly recommend the Feist & Wurts Daughter of the empire trilogy, its the riftwar from the Tsuranni view basically but much better than the feist books (imo)

Don't think anyone's mentioned one of the greatest living fantasy authers yet, David Gemmell. The Shannow & Parmenion books are essential reading for any fantasy fan, but nearly all his books are great.

Some older (but still amazing) fantasy try Jack Vance, or Gene Wolfe's Book of the new sun

Fana said:
Ian Irwine - The View From the Mirror (4 books)
You might recognize a name in this ;x. 2nd and 4th books are the best imo but the series is worth reading.

Also good:
Bernard Cornwell - winter king series, brutally realistic take on the Arthurian legend.
The 3 Robin Hobb trilogies, 1st & 3rd are brilliant but the Liveship books dragged a little
Janny Wurts - War of light and shadow series, not to everyone's taste; very fast paced actiony fantasy.
Michael Moorcock books - I'd recommend Elric and the runestaff series.
Fritz Leiber -1st Book of Lankhmar, classic Sword & sorcery fare.
Terry goodkind - Wizards 1st rule; the series deteriorates the further you go but its still worth reading.
Early Eddings is decent if simplistic but avoid anything after and including Althalus

I could go on all night so I better stop myself there :p

Sigurd

Banned
Tilda said:

Certainly one of the high points of the book... it's almost like it's written by two different people, parts of it made me want to give up and read something else, other parts were pretty decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom