Thanks for the link.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Sex wee.

I fucking *loved* Fallout 1 and 2.

Tactics though - meh.

Thanks for the link.

true
however, the guys doing it are the same lot that did Oblivion etc, so heres hoping :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
true
however, the guys doing it are the same lot that did Oblivion etc, so heres hoping :)

that they finally killed turn based. if turn based was good *every* game would have it. good story or not, i dont wanna wait around for the game fo finally figure out wtf its gonna do, and when its gonna do it.

wish turn based would hurry up and die already.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
if turn based was good *every* game would have it.

By the same non-logic, if real-time was good, every game would be in real-time. Since not every game is real-time, it's therefore 'not good'.

(If the colour blue was good, EVERYTHING would be blue!)

Edit: As for the trailer, it looks interesting but I'm still predictably doubtful as to whether they'll 'get it right'. The initial bit with the WW2 era music and the broken bus is great, very reminiscent of the atmosphere of the first 2 games, but the way it goes all typically macho and evil and DUN DUN DUUUUNNNN at the end is possibly a bad sign.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
By the same non-logic, if real-time was good, every game would be in real-time. Since not every game is real-time, it's therefore 'not good'.

point taken. but how many turn based only games are there compared to real-time games?

so my point is still more valid then yours :)

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Imagine Civilization converted wholesale into real-time, somehow - it would be terrible, and would have to be fundamentally reworked to function as a game. Turn-based games in general tend to allow for a lot more detail, strategy, micromanagement, that kind of thing. As there's no time pressure, there's much more room for maneuvre in terms of the depth of the simulation, which can be a great asset for an RPG.

So, eh. It'll be around as long as there are people making (single player) games, and there even exists a small niche of respectable multiplayer turn-based games - especially if we're talking 'games' in general, and include traditional board games, for example.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Arguably the best PC game ever made was UFO: Enemy Unknown which was a turn-based game.

Sim City is another good example.

These games are STILL popular games. As Louster says, there will always be a market for turn-based games as long as there are single player games.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
cant wait, was a bit skeptical when i heard it was going to be 3D but it is bethesda and am huge morrowind/oblivion fan hehe :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom