Fakelagging

O

old.TGC Snow

I've heard a lot of talk recently about ppl using fakelag to lag past sentry guns, or past defenders.

Firstly, is this really that effective a way of attacking, and secondly, is it cheating? Any opinions?

Perhaps valve should add a server command to disable fakelagging?

O

old.RooT

i dont think it is cheating because when they "fakelag"
they sit still for a few secs just spam them.....

O

old.[BC]Afx

I dont personally think its fakelagging cos like root says that(set too high)would just make u stay still..i think,However i have read about a command(not sure which) that allows you to limit the amount of info your client sends to the server causing you to effectively teleport..In the oppositions eyes.
Anyone who uses it is totally lame but at the same time people should be VERY sure before accusing cos they may just have a bad connection,As always if you think someone is doing it then record a demo :)

O

old.Gimp

Ban Whores!

Shame valve have successfully managed to mess up the majority of demo recordings, consistency error my arse. I've found a way round it, dunno what the command does to the server tho.

O

old.Anatoly

I didn't think it was possible to 'lag' past SG's, because the server decides whether the SG hit's you (or have they changed that now?) and it always 'knows' where you are.
Even if you do have have a poor connection the server is not going to let your machine say 'well actually the player is here, you just missed him moving' is it?
Since the last patch (or mayber the one before) I have noticed that fast classes do seem to be more able to run past SG's so maybe they have changed the code slightly but I don't remember reading any official announcement about it anywhere.

I do remember reading something in a readme with one of the patches that said they had fixed the fakelag cheat, I haven't tried it to see if it worked (I could never get it to work in the first place very well). Plus the most fakelag you could generate would be 350ms (the default setting for lag comepensation) so if you are on a modem this is reduced to ~200 ms because you already have 150 lag, so your timing would have to be shit hot with regard to pressing your fakelag button especially since it takes a fraction of second to kick in.

If anyone can reliably do the fakelag cheat I would like to hear about it but I think it is so unlikely that it's not worth worrying about.

As for changing the amount of data sent to the server (lv_cmdupdate or something like that) it is the same argument as with the SG, the server has the final say on where you are, which it works out from the commands it receives from you. So if you send it less info then it will just move you more jerkily, which may give the impression of teleporting but would be horrible to play. I suppose you could set a button to switch your update rate (like fakelag cheat) but it would make movement a pain and I can't see that it would really be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom