Fake mail: "WoW Insider: Honor system Launched!"

Stekkerdoos

Fledgling Freddie
Did anyone else got this mail ? I know of some more people of which I know they play WoW and received this mail.

I'm not planning to find out and prove the links in the mail were the reason, but the moment I clicked a link in this mail I had a whole lot of spy/adware on my PC.

A closer look made me realise my mistake. The reply adres wasn't a @blizzard.com adress, all links in the mail had the same url.

The mail looked quite professional and had me fooled that it wasnt official. What worries me most is how they got my email adres ? It doesn't look like a random sent mail to me.

Luckily the junk this all left on my PC wasnt hard to remove, I just reinstalled my PC because of some very nasty adware.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i got one too, looks like someone got naughty and has been selling email addresses

considering i got it sent to my "safe" email address im kinda worried (ive only used it to sign up to DAoC, WoW and gmail as far as i know)

thanks for the warning btw, was about to open it when i noticed this thread :)

Lubbock

Fledgling Freddie
I deleted without opening as i didnt care about the honor news, if it had been something interresting i would have clicked also, thx for war ning will keep my eyes open from now on :)

Yaemon

Fledgling Freddie
I got one aswell...the adress it was sent from was blizzard@effibases.com.. got another message from them 2005-03-03 concerning a "survey" where you could win a one year sub of WoW.

Opin

Fledgling Freddie
I read about this on the offical boards and apparently someone got his beta key sent from that domain, so most likely legit. Pretty stupid of them useing a thirdparty like that tho.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
All the urls link to the official Bliz site so I think it's real....

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Its from a third party french email distribution company, makes sense, mass mailing to 600k people takes a lot of hardware/bandwidth. The links go via the third party URL so they can track who clicks on what, I work for an email marketing company and we do much the same thing.

The cost of the bandwidth to send a HTML email to over half a million people would be in the 1000's, slightly beyond the budget of most hackers.

Stekkerdoos

Fledgling Freddie
Now I'm very confused. Firstly, I was conviced I got the spy/adware from one of the links in the mail. I hardly ever have spyware or similar junk on my pc and suddenly I had a lot of it and Im quite sure I didn't had any other webpages open. I tried the links in the mail again and now nothing happened. Guess I was wrong after all, but then again, "Better safe than sorry".

Secondly, today I received a similar mail. This time from the blizzard.com domain with the subject "World of Warcraft Insider #1" instead of "WoW Insider: Honor System Launches";

All the urls in the mail were different and so was some of the news. Now this seems more like a mail from Blizzard.

For the people that deleted their mail but still want to see it: You can also find it here http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/insider/wowinsider01.html

I still find this a bit strange. My apologies if I caused some panic anywhere.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Probably because you signed up for the US newsletter too? If it was from Bliz europe it would be on the wow-europe.com domain, blizzard.com is for the US. Maybe you signed up for the US beta?

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
One from US Insider and the other because of my WoW account.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
hehe i deleted anyway, and also sent an email back asking to be removed from list :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom