Extension wiring need help PLEASE!

D

danger

LoL bit of a wierd one this but.... as my line is due to be ADSL enabled monday and as both my computers are upstairs and my master phone socket downstairs I need to do some extension wiring....

Until recently I had a second phone line purely for internet access... with it's main master box right by my computer....

Now I figured I could just rewire the cable going from my grey BT round thing out front, into the master box of my main phone line.... (the master box is just inside so the cable would reach)

Now I disconnected the cable from the BT grey circular box thing (probably not allowed to do that but hey :) [Hmm had to use wire cutters] ) and I tryed wiring it up.... I have 4 wires in it.... an orange, white, green and a black previously the orange and white were wired up to wires in the grey circular thing ....

I bought a slave box to replace the master box on what used to be a second line but is now going to be an extension and I've tryed wiring Orange to 1 and White to 6 in my master box and the same in the slave box... i've also tryed them on 3 and 4 but I can't get a dial tone from the extension....

Can anyone please help I've been tearing my hair out for hours over this!!

The BT engineer told me I just needed to wire to 1 and 6 :(

D

Deadmanwalking

what modem are u getting for the ADSL? Router internal card or a USB stingray jobbo?

The reason i ask is if its a router just have that downstairs and put a piece of cat 5 cable up to the comp room

D

danger

router.... but that would defeat the point as it would be incredibly unsightly 2 have 2 Cat5 cables trailing up the stairs and to have a router by the phone!!!!!!

It's ok though I've sorted it now :D

Y

~YuckFou~

My main BT box (where it comes into the house) is downstairs.
My ADSL socket is where one of my ordinary extensions was upstairs. Just have them install the socket upstairs afaik.

B

-b5-lunatic

hmmmm .....my line comes in2 my house in the loft , all i did was rip out the main socket down stairs ......place it upstairs connect the cable 2 the junction box in the loft .....then run another line back down 4 the phone
cant hear it .......dont get picked up ......hehe

Users who are viewing this thread