Exercise ECA

ECA

I am a FH squatter
So in the name of progress, science and the future of millions of ECA sperm I am wanting to get back into shape and lose a few stone.

Currently I'm about 18 stone maybe 18 and a half.

I'm also 6'5" so I'm not exactly short - on the BMI chart the mark that splits my height between normal and overeight is 15 stone, also the weight I need to achieve if I want to go skydiving. ( On my list of fun stuff to do ).

My diet is pretty good, I eat fish twice a week at least, sometimes three times ( homemade haddock kebabs+herbs w/ rice, salmon and sauteed potatoes and occasionally some tuna or some random fish that looked tasty ). Chicken 2-3 times and beef/ham/something roasted once a week.

I don't eat any junk food, nor drink any soft drinks ( ok I lie, some diet lemonade or sugar free coke/fanta occasionally, less than one bottle per week though ).
I eat noodles or a ham/bacon sarnie for lunch ( two rounds - I guess I should cut it down to one ) and a grapefruit for brekky.

Exercise currently is lots, absolutely fantastic, I trek downstairs and to my computer in the morning and the same at night, with occasional trips to the kitchen.

I just fixed up my bike today and pumped out an hour - this is something I want to be doing everyday or every other day.

So what else should I do to get fit?

Gym membership is out, it just doesn't motivate me.

Should I be doing situps/etc to improve my body tone? What about upper body strength - something I've always lacked how can I improve with say 20-30 mins daily?

PS: Please nag me at least weekly for updates. :-]

Trancor

Fledgling Freddie
Start with walking a bit, biking may sound good but you may get bored/knackered by it after a few days. Check that you're not eating to much (big portions of good food are just as bad as small portions of fried bad food). But don't take what I say to seriously I'm a fat git who loves a few beers and a massive kebab every now and then. :touch:

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I lost 5st on the stop eating lunch you fat ****! diet. Works wonders.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Trancor said:
Start with walking a bit, biking may sound good but you may get bored/knackered by it after a few days. Check that you're not eating to much (big portions of good food are just as bad as small portions of fried bad food). But don't take what I say to seriously I'm a fat git who loves a few beers and a massive kebab every now and then. :touch:

I do have bigger portions than I should for dinner, and I can probably cut my lunch in half - I know getting my intake down is just as important as getting my exercise levels up.

Thanks for the link leggy, giving it a read now.

Also for exercise I'm taking my mp3 player out and I felt fine doing an hour, plus its a scenic route so its pretty nice, I think it would be tough to get bored of that.

Any worthwhile exercise stuff I could buy to use at home?

Trancor

Fledgling Freddie
Best and probably cheapest exercise equipment was a long ribbon of tensioned rubber. Great for resistance training, used in physio treatments a lot, and has the bonus of not taking up much space. Can't remember the exact name of it but very versatile to use. Plus I expect you've got a fair few rubber things lying about ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
BMI is a load of shite.

I can recommend the cycling. Don't expect miracles though. Use Google Earth to find good routes nearby, I use it to track canal routes and measure distances. My next 'big ride' is about 40 miles on the Huddersfield canal from Manchester.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Tom said:
BMI is a load of shite.

I can recommend the cycling. Don't expect miracles though. Use Google Earth to find good routes nearby, I use it to track canal routes and measure distances. My next 'big ride' is about 40 miles on the Huddersfield canal from Manchester.

I live by the seaside so finding a nice scenic route = cycle to sea, go north/go south.

My other option is to cycle alongside the river.

So really I have three decent routes.

I know BMI is shit if you have a lot of muscle mass but tis not bad for average people ;)

How do you track distances via google earth? I was thinking about that when I was cycling today.

Will

/bin/su
Mountain biking for teh win!!!

Exercise wasn't really my thing until I got my first bike for commuting to work, and then decided to get a mountain bike to see what all the fuss was about. A combination of exercise, adrenalin release, and great views works much better for me than a gym class. I race singlespeeds nowadays (one gear), I'm into it in a fairly serious way.

And BMI says that I'm dead. Well, nowadays its 17.8, but I'm fit and healthy.

leggy

Probably Scottish
We can always count on Throd to tell you how it is :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
ECA said:
How do you track distances via google earth? I was thinking about that when I was cycling today.

Tools > Measure > Path

left click to create points on the path, hold left button down to drag map.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I would say at your height that 15 stone is a bit light in all honesty, I am aiming for 15 and a half stone and I am shorter than you(just). Last time I was that weight people thought I had AIDS or cancer, apparently I looked ill.

I have lost half a stone in the last couple of weeks by doing what Nath suggested and biking.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Eat less, Exercise more. That's really it unless you have a genuine medical reason for being overweight (very very very rare).

One thing though, don't fixate on the weight. I'm 5'10 and 12stone. I think that puts me in the overweight category of most charts, but at the moment I have a 28" waist. You might have seen a gratuitous bicep pic in the Regular Freddies Pics thread.

I keep in shape by not eating too much shite, and not eating massive portions of anything. My job doesn't require me to, I could sit at a desk all day, but there is the opportunity to muck in with some very physical work. Hanging exhausts and moving car batteries, springs to mind.

I don't have a lot of time to exercise outside work, so I look on doing those jobs as my exercise while I'm at work, almost killing 2 birds.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Gumbo said:
One thing though, don't fixate on the weight. I'm 5'10 and 12stone. I think that puts me in the overweight category of most charts, but at the moment I have a 28" waist. You might have seen a gratuitous bicep pic in the Regular Freddies Pics thread.

Pffft I would still beat you in an arm wrestle :eek:

;)

What Gumbo says is right though ECA, your weight depends on your build. I am quite big built so I can weigh more than someone who is smaller built but same height....or something....you know what I mean.

A lad who I know is 6 foot 8 and weighs 14 and a half stone, needless to say he disappears when he walks past a lamp post.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ok, i'm gonna need a young priest and an old priest...oh...exERcise...gotcha.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Reet plan of action for today is going out on my bike for an hour now, then going to go into town and pickup some scales so I can find out exactly how much I weigh ( important if I want to go skydiving :p ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom