Exclusive: Activision Blizzard insider says....

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Latest rumours fluttering about, seems to have gained more credit among the MMO sites than previous rumours however so it might be more plausible? they did approach Blizzard to ask if it was true and they didn't deny it... they didn't say it was true either, one thing they did say though is the Starcraft Universe Warframe thing wasn't true.

By Tae Kim

tumblr_inline_niy2btyCDe1sl009c.png

Image Source: Activision Blizzard

Activision Blizzard’s next Hearthstone expansion is slated for April and the game has passed the 75 million players milestone, according to an employee of the video-game publisher. Overwatch’s business model is still in flux and the next Starcraft 2 game is already done and ready to go; the release date is still not settled but likely to come in the second quarter, the source tells Yahoo Finance.

The Activision Blizzard insider, who could not be named due to the company’s policy on talking to the press, revealed significant details about the company’s current game pipeline.

The insider says Hearthstone numbers “are off the charts.” The next expansion is due to come out soon and will be more PvE focused. The team is also experimenting with a 2 vs. 2 version. Stunningly Hearthstone has more than tripled the last publicly released players number of more than 20 million.

Regarding Overwatch, the insider says the business model is still in flux. They are trying to decide between a free-to-play or expansion type focused model. No matter what, you will initially be able to play the game for free, but how you pay for heroes is still to be decided. The development team is pushing to launch the game this year, but senior executives are skeptical it can be done by then according to the source. There is a tiny chance for a December release, but it’s more likely to come out in early 2016 at this stage.

Hearthstone’s success is beyond even the most optimistic expectations and should be a buffer against the continued year-over-year secular decline of the Call of Duty and Skylanders franchises.

Other key details from the insider:

• Executives have “low expectations” for Heroes of the Storm. The insider thinks many of the senior staff on the Heroes of the Storm team will be laid off.
  • The next Starcraft 2 game is already done and ready to go. The release date is still not settled. The current time window ranges from April to June.
  • The World of Warcraft team has “quadrupled” its art outsourcing, which has been a bottleneck in the past. The next expansion is almost “feature complete.”
  • The insider says the members of the Diablo III team have been moved to a new project set in the Starcraft universe. The game will be similar to Warframe and contain gameplay aspects from Left4Dead, DayZ, Smite, and other MOBAs. It is in early pre-production, which means late 2016 or later.
When asked for comment Activision Blizzard said the focus right now of the Diablo III team “is on continuing to support the game with patch content. We generally don’t comment on rumors or speculation, but I do want to make sure it’s clear that they’re not working on a secret project in the StarCraft universe.”

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
If Hearthstone truly has passed 75,000,000 they'll be fucking raking the money in with combine harvesters.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I think even more money than that.

75,000,000 users I meant, not $75,000,000 :p

Let's assume 50,000,000 of that 75,000,000 bought 15 card packs each - that's £13.99

£699,500,000

yea.... enough said :p lol

You know for a fact people are buying anywhere up to 100-200 packs at new expansion launches, the revenue generation from Hearthstone must be off the scale.

Again assuming this is all true - WoW and Hearthstone are now Blizzards dual golden gooses.

what says you @old.Tohtori @old.Osy

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Meh. That'd be an astonishing attach rate.

Could be there's 65million players like me - I boot it up once in a while, play a few hands, remember why it's essentially boring then look at my actal card/board games and invite friends round for beer/food and games :)

But still. Boot it up now and again. It's free after all...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Played for a bit, realised it was shit and stopped. Would be nice if I could play it on my phone but for some reason Bliz don't want me to.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Played for a bit, realised it was shit and stopped. Would be nice if I could play it on my phone but for some reason Bliz don't want me to.

Yeah. I bodge installed it on my S3 this week and whilst it ran it wasn't stable. Then they updated it.

Plus, I can see their point - it requires a bigger screen tbh.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It does in its current form but it wouldn't take a massive amount to scale it down for phones, I have a 1080 screen on mine.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I still play, albeit not as much as before. Ranking and some arena.

I splurged 50 euros for packs once, never again.

I'm glad it's working out for Blizz, maybe they will start innovating again, instead of improving on old proven designs.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I think their new FPS will be a nice cash cow as well, when you look at how Valve managed to milk TF2 - Overwatch has loads of potential to be that third golden goose for Blizzard.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I had high hopes for their new MMO but they are going in a different direction, while their games are extremely polished they all just seem to lack something for me. Partly I think its the way they make everything ranked, seasoned extra. Sort of feel if you don't play it loads you somehow lose out.

Will wait and see about Overwatch, it looks like it could be a lot of fun if they do it right.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
75,000,000 users I meant, not $75,000,000 :p

Let's assume 50,000,000 of that 75,000,000 bought 15 card packs each - that's £13.99

£699,500,000

yea.... enough said :p lol

Fact is though 95%-99% of F2P players don't pay at all and the games rely on whales(such as Total biscuit and other streamers pouring thousands into it).

The amount is probably higher though as the average whale spenditure is from 200 to 300 ;)

Which is nice since it means more stuff for players and more cash for Blizz.

I'd really want some other Starcraft universe thing to pop up. Even if they tried remaking ghost.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Looking forward to Overwatch myself but after playing TF2 a lot i'm not holding my breath, that said it could surprise me completely and be nothing like TF2 but from the footage they've shown so far its just TF2 + Portal rolled into one.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah i'll be sure to try out and try to like Overwatch. Never got into TF so won't have any connections(etc) there. That's the problem i got with HotS, got dota2 so it seems a bit "pointless" :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
No, no, i'm not one of those people who analyze the funny image and offer suggestions :p

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
It's still boggling my mind how that paladin let him wrack 40 armour up :p that's just... /facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom