Rant Excel!

Should pastel shading be used in Excel sheets?

• Total voters

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok, so I am going to make this a poll to see if I am right (which I am, of course) about spreadsheets.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It depends on the colours I guess.

I vote for show us an example :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's all about traffic lights in pastal. Red, Orange Green

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
They should make the font the same colour as the box and use it to monitor positive results in a pandemi..

Oh looks like the probably have.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
This is good:

normal.JPG

This is an abomination!!

pastel.JPG

dysfunction

FH is my second home
This is good:

View attachment 42728

This is an abomination!!

View attachment 42729

No the abomination is the one you can't seem properly.
Also how do you signify different groups of which ones go together vs those that don't if you use monochrome? The little marker on the right is useful but makes it much harder to see instantly.

You can filter on colour so no need for the extra column...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Are we just talking pastel colours or any colours that are kind of close to each other? You want the colours to stand out and you want as much contrast as possible so I suppose I begrudgingly agree but even some colour is better than no colour. I don't work with spreadsheets but when I do data visualisation I spend a fair amount of time picking colours (and reacting to complaints from colour blind folk).

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The colours are for analysing the data to make it easier for review.

I wouldn't use shading in a report being published to management...

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
You're lucky, our place's CIO has just decided as we're a Google company we can get rid of our MS Office licenses, and use Google Docs instead.

That means using Google Sheets for presentations......

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
In my departments we have strict rules in spreadsheets used for external use (not for personal use)
- pastels blue or green used for headings and totals
- font only calibri 11 is allowed
- for analysis colours can be used but must be pastel and only in detailed back up

What iritates me more is the use of bright colours either for analysis OR for presentation both give me migraines - addtionally what is more horrible is the lack of titles and dates which I generally will reject before even looking at what has been supplied.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
You're lucky, our place's CIO has just decided as we're a Google company we can get rid of our MS Office licenses, and use Google Docs instead.

That means using Google Sheets for presentations......

Honestly I'd take that small downside for getting rid of the rest of the MS Office/365 suite.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It doesn't have to look good - it just has to be visually readable.
That's not what I'm referring to. The number of people who add a data layer in Excel by going "I'll make these ones Green, those Red, these Amber, some Purple" instead of capturing what most of the time is just "Y/N" data in the actual dataset they're working with is painful. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. Progress tracker spreadsheets are the absolute worst offenders for this.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's not what I'm referring to. The number of people who add a data layer in Excel by going "I'll make these ones Green, those Red, these Amber, some Purple" instead of capturing what most of the time is just "Y/N" data in the actual dataset they're working with is painful. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. Progress tracker spreadsheets are the absolute worst offenders for this.

Yep - 'Hey, let's sort this by status.... hang on, where is the 'sort by colour' option???'

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
There is a sort by colour option....

Is there really???? That's hilarious... features designed for the baying masses .... how does it work then... ascending is to the sequence of 'I can sing a rainbow' ? .... I'm sure it's fab for some, don't get me wrong, but blimey o'reilly!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Is there really???? That's hilarious... features designed for the baying masses .... how does it work then... ascending is to the sequence of 'I can sing a rainbow' ? .... I'm sure it's fab for some, don't get me wrong, but blimey o'reilly!

you sort it so each colour is grouped together. You have to select a colour to group together.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Haha you bunch of privileged wankers.

At my last school I setup a spreadsheet with some basic calculations and cells would turn colours for certain numbers.

They thought I was the second coming.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
If it helps display data, then fine. If it's part of the data, then that's a no no.

Story time... I once helped out one of the operations teams when I worked at RBS, they got sent a colour coded spreadsheet every day and it took 3 people 2-3 hours to action the red, orange and yellow items. The data was not sorted, and there was 30,000+ items on it, with up to 500 items needing action and they frequently missed stuff, which was then flagged for the next day. I built them a macro that took in colour of the cell, assigned a value 1-5, then sorted entire sheet by that value. The following day, there was an incident call, because for the first time ever, there was nothing missed, and they thought there was a systems outage.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
If it helps display data, then fine. If it's part of the data, then that's a no no.

Story time... I once helped out one of the operations teams when I worked at RBS, they got sent a colour coded spreadsheet every day and it took 3 people 2-3 hours to action the red, orange and yellow items. The data was not sorted, and there was 30,000+ items on it, with up to 500 items needing action and they frequently missed stuff, which was then flagged for the next day. I built them a macro that took in colour of the cell, assigned a value 1-5, then sorted entire sheet by that value. The following day, there was an incident call, because for the first time ever, there was nothing missed, and they thought there was a systems outage.

Sounds like the same people working for the government

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom