Excalibur vs Camlann

N

[NP]Tiki

Hey ho,

Just started on the camlann server and i have to say im of mixed minds about it but it has some fundermental advantages over the god knows how much PvsP time i spent on Excalibur.

The PvsP/exp'ing system on excalibur is far to Linear in gameplay.

Level 1 - you make a template for your character
><><><> who cares about the bit inbetween
Level 50 - you have the items and done the scripted quests.

Highlights here and there during the exp periods of wondering whether i too like the others that had could infiltrate the enermy realms. The ease of exp grp's was a gr8 factor being slung together with strangers and still be able to make a few bubs at the worst of times...

The downside to camlann is that exp is extremly hard to get unless you orgainsed it before the server came up :(

Emain was fun initaly fun, but got very boring.....

taking keeps - tick (meant pretty much nothing)
taking relics - tick (could be fun but couldent stand the rants after)
Grp ganking - tick (hummm too many to count)
solo ganking - best bit prolly but still when your limited to emain for you kicks your eyes glaze over and turn a shade of hiberian green

mmg
amg

Mythic basically made the PvsP emelment very very limited, uber guards getting pulled from atk to mmg etc.. etc...

Uber guard what are they about? Why couldent i get to that level? no story behind them except their well uber, yes i do know why their there but the fact they cant be beaten and somthing come of that ruins that aspect...

Camlann is hard and getting ganked alot can cause alotta mental pain, but it does open the game up to alot more possibilties. both politically and gameplay wise :p hibs, mids and the scum all mixed into one is great Infil vs infil, chanter vs chanter....

No more mass complaining of one class that happens to be in another realm.

exping now is more of a frightning challenge than a chore :)

Many will disagree with want ive said but i really can see why so many have left for this new server.

anyone agree? Or at least can see some sense of what ive said :)

Atleast 60-70% of the middy 50's thought this

E

Envenom2

i think pvp server is great i got a lvl 16 minstrel and its coming along nicely

S

Sortbane

Hell, I love that server, the only thing that annoys me is that I got some catching up to do with the rest of the guild, but that's entirely my fault for having a RL the few days after Camlann opened ;)

Anyways, PvP makes XP'ing something exciting and now it's not only mobs to look for aggro.. or the little feeling when you're level 10 and you're walking past a guild group and suddenly notice that the guild standing there are purple and War Legendz :)

/em is staying on camlann for a while atleast..

K

kameh

Seriously not interested in PvP server at all. I think that it'll go the same way as the US ones with population decline and people returning to excalibur shortly.

O

Olgark

Played it last night to level 2 and found that I might as well go and play quake if I wanted to play on this server. There is no order just chaos, with everyone killing each other all the time.

I would of much rather of liked it to of been more like UO with guild wars than a free for all once you atain level 10. Or a role play server.

O

old.LandShark

My only complaint about Camlann is the vast number of chanters.
Pet needs nerfing, end-of-whine :p

B

belth

Originally posted by old.LandShark
My only complaint about Camlann is the vast number of chanters.
Pet needs nerfing, end-of-whine :p

It's a fun pet really, killed a few red chanters with it :p Doubt I'll play much on Cam anymore, it's getting boring running around killing (and getting killed) people for money cause like 1 in 10 gives exp, don't even think about the regular exping places cause they're all camped and you get ganked post 10. Ofcourse there's the fun part when a purple ganks you just for the thrill of it, to show how 1337 they are. Maybe things are a bit different at higher levels, but I've no intention of rushing the last 2 bubs to 11.

O

old.LandShark

Looka the people who expected to solo and are getting ganked...
What you are doing is, effectively, this: walking around emain at level 30 solo and expecting not to die constantly.
I see plenty of purples, reds and oranges but I don't get ganked that much because, by using the power of thought, I avoid walking straight across prydwen bridge like a ninny. :>

D

-Dreama-

Hell, I love that server, the only thing that annoys me is that I got some catching up to do with the rest of the guild, but that's entirely my fault for having a RL the few days after Camlann opened

Sad when haveing an RL is punishable.

K

kirennia

Originally posted by [NP]Tiki
Hey ho,

The PvsP/exp'ing system on excalibur is far to Linear in gameplay.

Level 1 - you make a template for your character
><><><> who cares about the bit inbetween
Level 50 - you have the items and done the scripted quests.

Am I the only one who doesn't think that taking your time exping is a good thing? Not just because I did it 'back in the old days' but because it helps you to learn your character...the number of new tricks and methods I learnt in pve helped me to become a better rvr player I feel. I think we have all had run ins with people who dont know how to play their char and for example str buff wizzies or ae mezzed mobs...I personally enjoyed exploring the realm too, learning new places to exp and taking friends there too, it shouldnt b just about the getting to 50. I guess thats where the normal servers differ from pvp...
Normal = exploration and learning (well its badly designed but thats how it should be, not pwrlvling)
pvs.p = experienced or not, free-for-all none the less and a case of whoever has the biggest guild ;-)

pvp has a very good novelty value but I cant see it drawing too many eyes for too long tbh.

Maybe a bit off topic and ya, you have put few good points up but this is my overview of the servers.

K

kameh

yup, cant see how they'll learn thier characters from being part of the gank squads:rolleyes:

K

Khalen

Well PvP is quite fun indeed. I've gotten to know a lot about other realms also. Avoid common places or be PKed ain't that hard. The only times I've been PKed was when our group was xping and was just resting (one time by high purples other time by more then we had in group). Getting equipment is the hardest thing.
I'm 35 now :) The way we xped was just plain zerging high mobs with large groups and without even decent armor and weapons :) Very funny to see and do.

B

belth

It's plain obvious that the Zerg has evolved in to smaller squads on Camlann, which in turn means anyone not part of one of the multiple zergs is going to have rough time.

What happened when I dinged 10? Was exping with 3 others, blam some bluecon attacks me (only lvl10 in group, rest close to ding) and gets wiped out by the group. Ok, that's 4vs1, easy. I go to TNN to train, port to Camelot cause I know some nice spots to exp at which are somewhat secluded (didn't see anyone at them when passing thru). First thing that happens is I walk out of Camelot and get insta-attacked by a yellow chanter. /release and go back, get ganked by a gray chanter who dies quite fast - to be immediately one-shotted by a purple unguilded ANON friar. The first chanter I see a bit later and kill him and his guildmate, revenge is sweet. This cycle goes on for couple hours, no-one gains anything. After successfully "escaping" Cotswold, I spot an orange infiltrator who is worth a reward, for once, so I kill her and she yells "fuck you!" before dying. Nice mentality, I had seen her killmsgs earlier, so... Same thing as Cotswold happens all around Prydwen Keep, Bridge and Plains border.

Short and to the point - don't bother with Camlann unless you've got a steady group or a tight guild. Solo isn't worth it, unless you do like me and don't intend to achieve anything there.

F

Flimgoblin

I quite enjoy PvE in the right group etc.

far more time for chat/cameraderie when killing monsters than when zerging (or in PvP)

taking keeps can be good for that too - lots of sitting time till the enemy arrives anyway :)

Q

quinthar

For players of PvP doesnt it concern you somwhat that players are at the 45+ lvl already?

Its not so bad with Xcal you lvl till yer brave enough to take on RvR and yer pretty safe doing it, yet on PvP yer fair game lvling now..

I wonder how many will give it up before they reach 20.

Me thinks the biggest guild = teh win

N

[NP]Tiki

Originally posted by belth
Short and to the point - don't bother with Camlann unless you've got a steady group or a tight guild. Solo isn't worth it, unless you do like me and don't intend to achieve anything there.

Hummmmmm yes in some ways, but i wanst let back into my guild on PvsP because i was slow in getting sorted on the PvsP server.

dont bother soloing as you will get ganked its true, but if like me you dont give up and started a guild with quite a few people from excalibur that was in the same situtation as myself. Were doing quite well leveling now and our team hasnt been ganked for the last day and a bit.

levels 10 - 20 are the hardest, purely for the fact theres so many little peeps that get to level 10 and think

"omg lets get my uber level 10 - 12 grp going and let gank 24/7"

get to a slightly higher level and hummmmmm well they dont stand much chance.

Yea on the other hand you might say Ahhhh but then your the target for the higher levels! Hummm tbh they havent soon themseleves yet. To busy having guild wars and taking keeps?

Originally posted by quinthar
I wonder how many will give it up before they reach 20

Me thinks the biggest guild = teh win
[/B]

Yeah i think alot will give it up before level 20, mostly the people who have about 8 rerolled characters all at levels 6.8, which is a good thing.

still at least i dont have to look at emain for the rest of my daoc days *yawn

teh biggest guild might win, but unlike the "set" excalibur server people can join and come and go as they plz with guilds as opposed to the fixed realms.

Also dont you think theres a little bit more "political gameplay" with that point you just made. Most people dont like comming second place and everyone cheers for the underdogs.

Users who are viewing this thread