Exams - good or bad?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
hate em, did so shit in my stats and chemistry today cos literally forgot all the equations and so forth.. i hate this feeling of like ive blown my chance :/

If you did the same exam boards as me then wtf at the first stats question re: the sheep-dog. I put it in the middle, my other mate put it at the top, my other mate put it in the bottom left corner and so on.

If you did the same chemistry as me...then...we are united as I did shit in that ;d

Everz

FH is my second home
If you did the same exam boards as me then wtf at the first stats question re: the sheep-dog. I put it in the middle, my other mate put it at the top, my other mate put it in the bottom left corner and so on.

If you did the same chemistry as me...then...we are united as I did shit in that ;d

Yup, i but in bottom left as there we no sheep there, chemistry i did total bollox on, what did you put for the saving the town from the liquid hydrocarbon?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Yup, i but in bottom left as there we no sheep there, chemistry i did total bollox on, what did you put for the saving the town from the liquid hydrocarbon?

Must be different paper.

Nothing in mine re: liquid hydrocarbon.

Everz

FH is my second home
Must be different paper.

Nothing in mine re: liquid hydrocarbon.

river pollutied with it, what would you do to stop it harming to the environment, water reserves and the town.. :/

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
river pollutied with it, what would you do to stop it harming to the environment, water reserves and the town.. :/

Nah. Mine was entirely different. Still fuckin hard mind you.

Hopefully i'll scrap teh C - if not - shit happens.

Everz

FH is my second home
Nah. Mine was entirely different. Still fuckin hard mind you.

Hopefully i'll scrap teh C - if not - shit happens.

yup, hoping for a B since i did good in the first paper and have an A* coursework in the bag.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
EXAMS: The State's way of categorising the underground dwelling chav scum from the educated minority

Mey

Part of the furniture
Why is it that i can discuss stuff and better my tutors in conversations involving Psychological research/theory, yet when it comes to an exam i do bollocks? Exams test very few parts of your understanding of the subject.

Why do you think the Navy gives you a three hour interview with your comanding officer as your "final exam", they don't care what you can write down they want to know what you'd do in a situation.

If exams and education are so good, why did so many employers state that they did not believe that the degree students/a-level students they had employed were ready for work.

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Are exams good or bad to have?

Discuss.

Well it for me they make sure that i know every thing im supposed to know. Grades just motivate me even more into understanding my subject.

whats the idea to have a proof that you can read up on a subject prior to the test? its not hard to spent 3-4 days reading up on what you've learned the last couple of month/years. doesnt prove anything.

The idea isnt to prove that you can read up to a subject, its there to make sure that you actually know what you have been taught. Plus you go through all the stuff youve learned prior to an examn which, in my case at least, makes the stuff clearer and makes it stick because i actually get through the stuff twice.

Exams prove nothing more than rote learning. Testing should be more practical involving oral presentation of material and discussion with peers/teachers. This is of course if we want to invoke a world of young thinkers who further the field of study, rather than simple mind numbingly stupid Zombies who know only what they have been told and have no real complex knowledge of the subject in which they are studying. Or how to even interact or engage with the material.

That REALLY depends on what you are doing. Some subjects are good for oral presentations. Some subjects actually NEED to be done on paper. Oral presentations are probably good if the subject is about understanding a certain thing, but written exams actually putting that theory into practice. Putting down thoughts structured on paper is quite important since you cant be running around the whole world telling people about you are are doing.

And if you really understand the subject you can show you have real and complex knowledge of the matter, then you can also solve the problems for the higher grades.

I don't have any dislike for either type of examn. Orals are good because i can communicte my knowledge in a way that makes me certain that the teachers know i understand the subject correctly. Written ones are good because they show i can actually do some work with that knowledge (and therefore posses that knowledge).

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
If exams and education are so good, why did so many employers state that they did not believe that the degree students/a-level students they had employed were ready for work.

Well of course they want experienced workers over inexperienced ones... How can that baffle you so much? :D

Mey

Part of the furniture
It doesn't baffle me, it shows me that education isn't prepearing people for the world of work.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
GCSE in Practical Lovemaking. Sign me up bub !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom