Everquest...

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Anyone here playing Everquest at the moment ? Is it worth trying out with all of its expansions xD We are a few people wondering :confused:

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
It's pvetastic!

I tried it about a year ago ... if you think DAoC is hard for new players to get started in Everquest is way worse. Everybody is doing high end pve grind/raids.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Get a trial version and figure it out =p I used to play EQ, and I still think its the best MMO ever.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
i done eq2 on US servers and threw the fucking thing in the bin. its a disgrace of a game. only good bit was collecting butterlies.

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
Aye EQ is one of the best games of all time, but if you had been there from the beginning and quit, returning later is rather difficult as 1. it will cost mega bucks for all expansions and 2. you are so far behind.

I played back at the beginning it was great, but with the free 10 day trial a few weeks ago i just couldn't get back into it. The interface is so complicated compared to what it used to be.

Now there is like 10+ expansions i quit just after Planes of Power (that was the fourth) was released :p Ahh i miss the good ole days in ToV and the strategies people came up with were amazing. Timing had to be perfect ;)

Back to question, yes its worth a shot if you are patient and dont mind pve'ing by yourself. Until your high lvl anyway.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
EQ is actually looking very good as well for a game of its age. They've done wonders with that game. The EQ world itself is extremely big as well. You can probably fit both WoW and DAoC in the EQ world.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Penlid said:
Aye EQ is one of the best games of all time, but if you had been there from the beginning and quit, returning later is rather difficult as 1. it will cost mega bucks for all expansions and 2. you are so far behind.

I played back at the beginning it was great, but with the free 10 day trial a few weeks ago i just couldn't get back into it. The interface is so complicated compared to what it used to be.

Now there is like 10+ expansions i quit just after Planes of Power (that was the fourth) was released :p Ahh i miss the good ole days in ToV and the strategies people came up with were amazing. Timing had to be perfect ;)

Back to question, yes its worth a shot if you are patient and dont mind pve'ing by yourself. Until your high lvl anyway.

Agreed, best game I have ever played. I played for 5 years from beta (waaay back in 99') I stopped just after Gates of Discord which was the 8th expansion iirc. If you do start playing and get a high level char the sense of achivement you get from beating the hardest bosses, more so than beating a good group in daoc imo. Back in the days of Temple of Veeshan, Ssraeshza Temple, Vex Thal, The Sleepers Tomb and of course the PoP encounters man took us some months to work through to Quarm, the tactics you needed to use were extremely complex clerics needed to be perfect, tank rotation had to be perfect, it was an amazingly tactical game.
Man so many good memories from reading this thread makes me want to reactivate :D

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
I can remember when Sleepers weapons were the best around, sucked that when someone killed the sleeper it never repopped :< AoW (Avatar of War)was the highest threat around the time i quit.

What server were you on Cozak?

Cozak

Part of the furniture
I played Zebuxoruk main and Xegony occasionly, yeah it was a pain in the ass when people woke the sleeper.. no more primal velium :(

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Thats what I loved about EQ, over DAoC. Those truly epic things. Like Sleeper. I mean, how long did it take until someone killed Golestandt in DAoC. Or finished up the entire Tuscaran Glacier etc? I recall it took like a year or two before someone even come close to killing Sleeper.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
DavidH said:
Thats what I loved about EQ, over DAoC. Those truly epic things. Like Sleeper. I mean, how long did it take until someone killed Golestandt in DAoC. Or finished up the entire Tuscaran Glacier etc? I recall it took like a year or two before someone even come close to killing Sleeper.

and how long until hib dragon was killed?
or Olcasgean in Galladadoria?

hmmm. i was there for both times we took em down on exc/hib for first time, dont compare underpowered mobs in 1 game to a challenge in another.

Afran

Part of the furniture
fettoken said:
Anyone here playing Everquest at the moment ? Is it worth trying out with all of its expansions xD We are a few people wondering :confused:

Hullo oldy Snewk :)

<-- Afrandor/Mitsurugi if you remember me from old Barrows times =o

People actually play EQ? :) I thought it was basically dead compared to mmo's like WoW.

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
There are more people playing EQ than DAOC in fact there are around 200,000 people still playing EQ :)

To Cozak i played on the Rathe server :p

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I tried out the trial, Escape to Norrath or whatever it was named. First of all, i found the interface disturbing. Everything felt choppy and just beta-ish. And why the frigging hell do they make you start underground, i hate caves n´shitt at low levels tbh.

But, is it because its some B-version of the real thing that makes everything suck as bad as it does ? Seeing as the installation only took up 300mb of hdd space.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
damn this thread! :p downloading trial now, wish i had not sold my old account :(

edit: nerf 4hrs 30mins patch time now >< :D

Cozak

Part of the furniture
my patcher is going nuts, last time i checked it was on 4hours 20mins or so now it is on 15mins :p no complaints but its wierd hehe

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Cozak said:
my patcher is going nuts, last time i checked it was on 4hours 20mins or so now it is on 15mins :p no complaints but its wierd hehe
Yep, mine was at like 5 hours at first, now its down to 1 hour 10 min.
But yeh, I'm not complaining either =P

Cozak

Part of the furniture
heads up for ya, if you extracted the original file to desktop and ran it from there after i had finished patching my desktop was FULL of crappy files it installs it to your desktop :eek7:

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Cozak said:
heads up for ya, if you extracted the original file to desktop and ran it from there after i had finished patching my desktop was FULL of crappy files it installs it to your desktop :eek7:
I figured something like that would happen so I extracted it into another folder.
Silly install file though >< Oh well. =P

Cozak

Part of the furniture
well... mine is fuxxed none of the servers are showing up on the server listing :(

Afran

Part of the furniture
Penlid said:
There are more people playing EQ than DAOC in fact there are around 200,000 people still playing EQ :)

To Cozak i played on the Rathe server :p

I'd certainly not compare any MMO to DAoC nowadays tbh, especially when it comes to population :p

Afran

Part of the furniture
fettoken said:
why the frigging hell do they make you start underground, i hate caves n´shitt at low levels tbh.

I take it from what you said your character starts out in a small area of caves and you have to complete certain quests or reach level X to venture anywhere else? If that's the case, that's what I like about the 'grind' to higher-levels in an mmo, exploring the game over time is a part of developing your char :)

Guess I'll download it tonight or something!

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Afran said:
I'd certainly not compare any MMO to DAoC nowadays tbh, especially when it comes to population :p
Word :p I bet even freeshards on UO has more players than DAoC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom