EvE online, but with mechs...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
PERPETUUM

if you liked EvE you will like this because its pretty much a copy and paste without a hint of uniqueness other then on the ground and with mechs.

if i didn't know better i'd have thought these guys hacked CCP and just downloaded the code into their own servers and renamed it :)

i like the idea but they have nothing in this game bar mechs that doesn't scream EvE.

character creation is exactly the same, skill progression is real time but with a slight difference. you gain skillpoints to spend, even when you are offline, rather then needing to wait for the skills to complete, and you can only progress one character at a time per account as the skillpoint pool is account wide.

there's 3 factions, one is basically amarr, one is caldari and the last is minmatar in terms of what weapons they prefer.

even the way you kit out your mech is a complete and utter rip off.

i cant see anywhere where they have tried to make something different to EvE. they just took everything from EvE, removed the spaceships and added mechs.

man i'm getting pissed off just writing this. i can't take rip offs, and this one is the worst of them all...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Horrible levelling progression, its what put me off Eve, I found I was offline waiting to learn skills more than I was online using those skills. Decided if CCP wanted me offline so much I would just cancel my subscription.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Horrible levelling progression, its what put me off Eve, I found I was offline waiting to learn skills more than I was online using those skills. Decided if CCP wanted me offline so much I would just cancel my subscription.

That was probably the problem, waiting to level up ;)

Skills are learn&forget really, gameplay time is more towards levelling your wallet, your faction, corp standing, or getting into fights and such.

Anyhoo, that game doesn't look too much EVE, it has takena lot from it, but that's a good thing really.

Could be good, will have to keep an eye on it. It will msot likely crash&bun, which is a shame as EVE would work a lot better with mechs.

Mechs are personal.
Ships are not.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
That was probably the problem, waiting to level up ;)

Skills are learn&forget really, gameplay time is more towards levelling your wallet, your faction, corp standing, or getting into fights and such.

Anyhoo, that game doesn't look too much EVE, it has takena lot from it, but that's a good thing really.

Could be good, will have to keep an eye on it. It will msot likely crash&bun, which is a shame as EVE would work a lot better with mechs.

Mechs are personal.
Ships are not.

the problem tho is that hey target the exact same people that's currently playing EvE, and while some players will "hop over the fence", most EvE players will not because they have spent such an enormous time getting their EvE character(s) to where they are they just don't see the point starting a new MMO that is pretty much exactly the same, but with mechs.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
stupid edit timer...

No, it doesn't LOOK alot like EvE graphically, but dig around a bit in the game and there's no mistake what game they played when they came up with the idea for this game.

the UI is pretty much the same, just laid out slightly differently, how you fit your mechs are also pretty much exactly the same, and so is the way you train skills, even tho perpetuum does it slightly more casual friendly then EvE, but you still have to wait the same amount of time before you can use X skill..

heres a spot on quote about the items you can equip. wait a moment this is like eve - General Discussion - Perpetuum Online - MMORPG.com Forums

I'm not arguing that two games sharing similarities are the result of one ripping off the other. I'm arguing that all the items listed on this page have an identical corresponding item in EVE. And when I say identical I don't mean just "does the same thing", or "does some of the same things", or "has a function which is shared with some item in EVE".

I mean that the game mechanics they affect are the same, the scope of what they manipulate is the same, the resources needed to equip them are the same. If they had perhaps thought up ideas for equipment that is similar to EVE, but has some kind of difference or variation, then I could see an argument that they are not a rip-off.

For example, they could've implemented area of effect repair items, or items that one drops on the ground which repair players in your group, or heck they could've come up with completely different requirements on how you obtain and use these repair items. Rather than plagiarizing EVE's system of high, medium, and low power slots, they could've thought of their own dichotomies on what themes and mechanics are assigned to what equipment slots. They could also have thought up a different system to limit what items you can equip on a robot at once, rather than copying EVE's CPU and Powergrid mechanics.

and

yes there are a variety of mechanics common to many mmos. However, games distinguish themselves by having varying ways to obtain these mechanics, and having them obtained in different combinations. Perpetuum did not do this. It's not as though they said, "let's have a heal spell that makes sense in a sci-fi setting", they said "let's have a heal spell that's obtained by equipping a Remote Armor Repair item to a high-power slot just like in EVE".

and then the devs come out on their interviews and say this:

RPS: I have to ask about the similarities to Eve Online – how much of an influence has CCP’s game been on Perpetuum?

Gergely: Ah, the usual question. To the surprise of many people, the Perpetuum dev team is mostly quite unfamiliar with EVE. The vision of the two games is very similar though – a complex, persistent, sandbox world based on the real one – and this is where the similarities come from. There are a list of “must have” features for a game like Perpetuum where we want the players to do everything themselves – features like material gathering, production, market, a guild system, etc. Without these features either game would be incomplete, and the fact that both have them means that there are some aspects that are similar. But if you look at the setting you can’t really compare the games at all.

Interview: Perpetuum Online | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

i mean, seriously?

start comparing the two games and you will find that there really isn't THAT much that actually differs between the two other then that one game use mechs, the other use spaceships.

yes, perpetuum does SOME things differently, but not differently enough to fool anyone that they are "mostly unfamiliar with EvE online"...

Now don't get me wrong, EvE does need competition, but is it really that hard to come up with slightly original solutions?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Doesn't really matter though, if it's like EVE but with mechs, to a similar degree of "good gameplay", then it's already different in one big aspect; mechs feel a lot more personal then spaceships.

It's not like EVE isn't ripping of XYZ too and the item names/what they do/etc aren't new either.

If it's a good game, it doesn't matter one iota if it rips every work of Mark Twain or not.

If you go by "This game is sh*t because it rips of X", you wouldn't be playing any game at all :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
By the way, it most likely will be a sh*t mech game(sadly), but IF it was an exact copy of EVE, but with mechs, mech based battle(movement for one) etc etc, build your own base whatnot; it would be cool.

Maybe these guys -should- copy EVE as much as they can, the system works for a persistent CHANGING world.

They should get their fingers out of their collective arses and make a Battletech MMO already.

Marc

FH is my second home
It will be shit. There is only one sci fi MMORPG and thats eve and given that EVE is so far ahead of every other sci fi mmorpg and any mmorpg for that matter, this one will fall by the wayside too.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It's not like EVE isn't ripping of XYZ too and the item names/what they do/etc aren't new either.

To be honest i can't think of a single game that was anywhere near similar to EvE when that game released.

Jumpgate?

But the issue isnt that the devs of perpetuum is copying EvE, the issue is that they are copy and pasting alot more then half their stuff from EvE...

IIRC you have been playing EvE to and from for quite a while. Did you try perpetuum when it was in beta and saw just what the hell they did?

If not then i recommend that you do once the headstart ends on the 25th. :)

The game is apparently free to download and only cost $10 a month in sub.

So it's fairly painless just to take a peak and then walk away again.

/edit: look at the screenshots from June, even the agent mission screen is the same :)
http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Media:Screenshots

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom