Euro resident players to pay VAT on subs

O

old.Shalamar

Cut form the front page of planetside homepage...

To comply with changes in the law in the European Union, Sony Online Entertainment game Subscribers who are residents of EU countries will be charged VAT equal to 17.5% of the subscription fees.

S

Spinky

Very soon we'll be buying things for a tenner and paying £100 tax on them, brilliant that, we love it, pleasepleaseplease tax us more because it's obvious that we must bloody well love it.

moo edit because mostly I can etc.

I love you too, g'night

P

[PS]Mung

That's odd.
17.5% is the UK VAT rate
In Germany it's 16%
Denmark 25%
France 19.6%
Netherlands 19%
Sweeden 25%
Ireleand 21%

So some people are better off than others.
Makes you wonder how they came to decide on that 17.5% figure.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

It used to be 15% but they whacked it up in one of those "we're not raising income tax" budgets. 'Tis the way of things.

Can't say I'm too surprised.

E

Embattle

The 17.5% rate on goods has been around for ages, it has been extended to online goods to make more money and also to make it fair on Uk retailers.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Spinky
Very soon we'll be buying things for a tenner and paying £100 tax on them, brilliant that, we love it, pleasepleaseplease tax us more because it's obvious that we must bloody well love it.

I fail to see what the problem with paying vat on a purchase is?

T

Teh Krypt

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass
I fail to see what the problem with paying vat on a purchase is?

Tony Blair sucks :(

E

Esoteric

Tbh think we should get out of the EU.......... more politcians really isn't a good thing. Besides if it wasn't for maggie thatcher we'd still be paying them and not receiving anything.

G

Gewny

Hmm I am swedsih and therefore very used to paying tax. 17.5% wont do that much in real money, its still comes down to if I enjoy the game or not...

E

Esoteric

Actually thinking about it this is already an expensive mmo, with the tax whacked ontop will be prob $15 a month thats swg but I bet those paying swg will get whacked with $15+17.5% = ouch.

I think planetside will be better side of £10 a month now and tbh I think a limit for any mmo should be that £10 anymore is just a silly rip off.

<starts thinking about dusting off old cs>

G

Gabrial

Who do we actually pay? I mean, is it an american company or a UK franchise?

I can only guess its a european franchise as I dont pay VAT on goods I order from the states normally.

S

Spinky

If it's a European franchise I'd very much like the ability to pay via Switch then :S

E

Esoteric

Hmm I just thought if you change the country to don't know or something they won't know your in the eu and since the cc could be different and they ask for a new address you can get away with not paying it??

Nop doesn't work, cancelled subs tho. Decided $12.99 + 17.5% too much for a quick blast and 1 server thats randomly buggy.

W

Will

Since the company is registered offshore, it didn't need to pay VAT on web purchases. However, the law has been recently changed, partially due to Freeserve's complaints that it gave AOL an unfair advantage. However, they couldn't be arsed waiting, and are now registered offshore too now, afaik.

N

ning

it's a UE tax to protect European frims (and to hurt US internet firms). It's a tax only for foreigh (=out of UE) firms.
Just a step in the economical war between UE and US.
Good tax for us european ! :)

"EU Internet sales tax law comes into force

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A new law forcing non-EU firms to collect value-added tax (VAT) on goods sold over the Internet to customers in the 15-nation bloc has come into force, officials said.

The law has sparked complaints from some companies outside the European Union, although those inside the bloc which have been charging VAT up to now have complained that competitors abroad had an advantage.

European Commission officials said the change on Tuesday was likely to affect U.S. Internet firms such as service provider AOL and online auctioneer e-Bay.

One official said rival British firms such as service provider Freeserve had complained that they were suffering because U.S. firms were not obliged to collect VAT. "

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030701/80/e3lot.html

M

=M<P=Xerxes

But who suffers,? We do! Thanks to the suits in goverment. So now they can afford expencive wines and go to posh resurants On our bloody money.

Users who are viewing this thread