EU players and US servers

Patrick

Fledgling Freddie
After reading FH and WHA forums i am seeing lots of EU players wanting to go over to the US servers even before the game goes live, i for one have pre ordered the CE and will not be going to the US servers. That said i hope the EU servers wont be dead/or full of immature gamers, that can potentially ruin a very promising game, due to the fact that most have chosen to play across the pond.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
The people that whine about GOA's service are much more vocal than those who are'nt that bothered/happy about it. Dont worry, EU will have plenty of players.

JohnnyBoy555

Fledgling Freddie
The ones that are going over to US servers because they think GOA will mess things up. Need to relax a bit.
They strike me as the sort of people who would be making a run for the parachute at the first sign of air turbulance.
Or ringing the police if next doors kids kicked their ball over the garden fence.

sp4nky

Fledgling Freddie
The ones that are going over to US servers because they think GOA will mess things up. Need to relax a bit.
They strike me as the sort of people who would be making a run for the parachute at the first sign of air turbulance.
Or ringing the police if next doors kids kicked their ball over the garden fence.

Take it you did not play on there Daoc servers then... They did a bad job of that.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Take it you did not play on there Daoc servers then... They did a bad job of that.

They did a perfectly reasonable job of the daoc servers. Not perfect, but who is (and what ever is).

sp4nky

Fledgling Freddie
lol a good job... servers where laggy not due to my overpowered pc, They still have not got the realm war on their site working.

Main thing that got on my T*ts was the fact that I had to go to unofficial forums and website to get any information about why a server/game was down.

Thats my main problem with them was lack of information on their site.

But I supose they might do a better job with the servers as they dont need to do language packs.

Im going to try eu and see how they do, can always move after.:clap:

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
lol a good job... servers where laggy not due to my overpowered pc, They still have not got the realm war on their site working.

Main thing that got on my T*ts was the fact that I had to go to unofficial forums and website to get any information about why a server/game was down.

Thats my main problem with them was lack of information on their site.

But I supose they might do a better job with the servers as they dont need to do language packs.

Im going to try eu and see how they do, can always move after.:clap:
Hope moving to Ireland will improve their support ;)

Patrick

Fledgling Freddie
They did a perfectly reasonable job of the daoc servers. Not perfect, but who is (and what ever is).

I agree, coming from a non hardcore player (not every free hour of my life playing) in DAoC i didnt see any major problems with it, ofc there was the occasional blip but there probably was in the US as well. Thats why i am a bit confused and annoyed at why people are just jumping to the US side straight away, meh... as long as i got me some order to :twak: i am cool with it
:cheers:

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
why do GOA have to follow mythics lead all the time? surely they could have came up with some idea for getting CE pre orders into the beta early themselfs?

can GOA not think for themselfs?

Derian

Fledgling Freddie
why do GOA have to follow mythics lead all the time? surely they could have came up with some idea for getting CE pre orders into the beta early themselfs?

From what i have seen so far no they can't. They just seem to be bumbling along behind Mythic trying to copy their service and making a huge balls up some of the time. Granted they have been doing well so far as from a few of the beta testers. It just seems alot of EU players are getting second class service over the NA players and they feel ripped off because of it.

Guess we will get what we get as they are not going to change their plans for 1 or 1000 players who shout out for it.

Patrick

Fledgling Freddie

Well WAR it is Mythics game so its their call i suppose

Arrandor

Regular Freddie
Like any positive and healthy service company, they should be on the front foot and demonstrably on top of things. So far I don't think that has not been the case.

The official GOA WAR site is pretty poor when it comes to web sites, especially their use of Flash, which has real issues for both the able and disabled customers, examples including no F5 refresh, you have to click two buttons, i.e. another menu option and then the one you want to refresh; only IE and Firefox support, and even then the Firefox support is bugged, i.e. the "Remember password" option doesn't remember your password; the lack of official updates to back up the unofficial updates posted on forums - great for the die hards like us, but not so great for someone new to the genre that is trying to understand what the hell is going on - if they want to grow the genre they MUST get this right!

That said the only thing that would make me play on the US servers is if GOA pulled out and there were no EU servers. Unfortunately it is that loyalty that keeps GOA in business, because if we really had a choice in the EU, i.e. GOA or XYZ I think GOA would be in trouble.

Liffster

Fledgling Freddie
After reading FH and WHA forums i am seeing lots of EU players wanting to go over to the US servers even before the game goes live, i for one have pre ordered the CE and will not be going to the US servers. That said i hope the EU servers wont be dead/or full of immature gamers, that can potentially ruin a very promising game, due to the fact that most have chosen to play across the pond.

I played EU DaoC from open beta, up until a few months into ToA. Its true GOA did screw up every now and again, and there was oftern talk about how people had it better on the US servers.

I dont think it will be as bad this time around from the overall feedback I have seen on the forums. I've spent most of this year playing EQ2 on pvp. Their pvp servers are based on the US west coast (pacific time). The vast majority of the player base is from the US, I'd guess 70% US/Canada, 20% Euro, 10% Australian/Oceana. I dont know where u get immature players from. Play a pvp ruleset mmo on a US based server and see true immaturity. Sure alot of the community was helpful and mature but it only takes a percentage of hummm :wanker: to spoil it for the rest of the player base. Id say the same too from playing Ultima Online on US servers pre DoaC.

That aside you will miss all the big rvr battles on US servers, as they wont even start to get lively until 10pm euro time. I remember losing alot of sleep in DaoC seeing out relic raids and seiges that went into the wee hours, do that on a US server and u will be playing past the time you need to be behind your desk at work!

A lesser issue is your ping will suffer playing on the other side of the pond, tho I dbout it would make a whole lot of diffrence.

These disadvantages simply arent worth having for what we percieve will be slightly better customer service from Mythic. Sure some euro players will roll on US, but I think the majority will want to see how GOA manages this time around.

Taleth

Fledgling Freddie
Seems a bit early to be jumping ship. From what I've see Goa are passing on what Mythic allow them to which can sometimes lead to confusion. Lets give them the the opportunity first :).

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
That said i hope the EU servers wont be dead/or full of immature gamers

In all honesty europe do indeed have ALOT of *****/immature people.. but I gurantee you USA has 100x more.

Euro > USA

Why?

1. Playing times of players match, none of this 5+ hours behind shit.
2. Might meet people near you that you can go out for a drink with and have a crack on.
3. Much friendlier community in general.
4. No rednecks.

On a downside it is hosted by GOA :( but that said they are under a modified contract with ea/mythic now so they have to maintain the EXACT same support as the USA servers.

Its a case of "Been there seen that" with daoc on the usa servers, war usa servers will be no different, full of stuck up twats.

Legean

Fledgling Freddie
GOA can think for themselves, barrels anyone?, the hu-har from america about that one was funny. Also, people bash GOA based on the belief the EU servers were that much worse than the US, thiking everything was rosie over there and hey didn't have 1 minute of unexpected downtime. Grass isn't always greener. Sure there were some huge problems, most notably the item crash, but over the entier time they ran the servers it was relativly small amount of time. I only hope the account management isn't in flash.

Frosty

Fledgling Freddie
All i have to say on the subject of usa vs ueor servers playing time.

If all euro played the us servers why would you have a problem playing.

would all the euro players suddenly change their sleep patterns :m00:

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
tbh, I can not agree that there is a mass exodust of EU players onto US servers. only a select few, who post the same things across multiple boards to try and get otehrs to follow them.

Beefeater1980

Fledgling Freddie
A couple of weeks here or there or the preview weekend aren't really all that important for a game we should all (one hopes) still be playing two years from now.

To my mind the important question is whether GOA is going to do a good job of administering and running the EU game. This is a broad task including keeping the servers up, responding to community concerns, maintaining informative and fun out-of-game content such as the Herald and website, and ensuring that EU customers' views are given due weight.

Some of us, including me, think that it's fair to ask this question because of some recent and well-publicised hiccups. I should emphasise that we mostly think that the answer will be a resounding 'yes' and that the only fair thing to do is to give GOA the benefit of the doubt. No-one sensible ought to be going to the US servers unless GOA's had a month or two of actually running the real thing and has messed it up. On the other hand, it would be nice to know how to go about this if only for the reassurance that our lifeboats are shipshape and will hold water, if they're needed - while still fervently hoping that they won't be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom