erm....

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well, I'll give it a go:

I'm looking for some Rim Locks for my internal doors. I've been posting in quite a few places, but most people here are good with digital cameras and things, so I might get a good response.

If you don't already know, a Rim Lock (an old one) is the big black/brass box that you would find on the room side of an old door. like this one It would normally have a rounded brass/bakelite/wood handle, and possibly a keyhole (although most would just have a sliding catch).

DSC03344.JPG
DSC03345.JPG
DSC03346.JPG
DSC03347.JPG
DSC03348.JPG
DSC03349.JPG

I only have 1 catcher left (the bit that goes on the door jamb), everything else is long gone. My neighbours have no examples to show me.

Anyhow, if you have these kinds of locks on your doors, could you post me a piccie so I can get an idea of what locks are common? Chances are if I find what mine looked like, I can find replacements. I'm going to check with some more neighbours from the other side of the road.

BTW I think the brass doorknobs are original, they are on every door in the house, and look a bit beaten up, so chances are the rim locks themselves were quite smooth on the back, to allow the knobs to fit nicely.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
No Rim Lock will keep you safe from Wij.

<< Voice of experience.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Your fingers are like sausages Tommeh.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Not entirely sure where you, or indeed that site, got the word "rimlock" from.
It's actually known as a "sash lock", you can get them with or without the deadlock (the completely square locking block).

You specifically seem to need external sashlocks : really any local locky should be able to do these for you : I can't quite see where you should have an difficulty. I know it's hard to specifically get old locks, and I know the internal sashlocks (the ones you chop into the doors) are easy to get, im sure both my usual lockies have these on display.

Do you specifically need old style ones to keep in character with the property? Or do you just need something that will serve the same/similar purpose?

Let me know, I spend a lot of time ordering and fitting locks and know a few suppliers that should be able to help

Regards

Kryt

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thanks Kryten, I wasn't aware there was a difference (the url I posted shows internal locks, not external ones). Most people call them rim locks (on the interweb anyway)

I'm really after some old ones, but if I can't get them, then new ones may have to do. Its just that new ones will look...er....new.......and thats not really going to look right. They must suit the character of the house, which is why I'm so keen to see other examples (if anyone has them).

I'm quite fortunate in that the internal doors are still there, I can at least get an idea of the dimensions from the screw holes and handle holes that remain.

EXAMPLE

steel_rim_lock.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hi again

Kryten, the link below shows you examples of the type of locks I'm after. They fit on the back of the door, and only require a small hole drilling for the square rod that connects the doorknobs together. They mount externally.

http://www.periodhouseshops.com/acatalog/Period_House_Shop_Locks_24.html

My locks would have most likely been brass, the thing is, I just don't know, which is why I want to see examples, dammit! :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
whoo hoo!

new%20locks.jpg

Not bad for 20 squid each. Dunno how old they are, but easily more than 50 years.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
looks like a Yale lock to me without the knobs on :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom