EQ or DAoC?

L

Lusse

Heyas all... im a EQ player that is thinking real hard about starting to play DAoC.

Anyone that feels like giving me some pros and cons?

L

Lanceloc

Sure thing. In EQ I had a paladin that I raised to level 16 which took me a couple of months! Maybe it was because I was a noob but I thought it was soooo boring just doing the same thing over and over (killing monsters and attempting to do impossible quests) that I quit the game.

In DAoC you get styles which make melee combat more interesting and Realm vs Realm combat which will forever keep you interested.

Graphics: EQ slightly better quality than DAoC.

e.g. no moving trees in DAoC, spell effects just as great in both, no visible weapon in first person view in DAoC unlike in EQ.

Sound: EQ has more ambient sounds but DAoC will be addressed soon.

Lastability: DAoC beats EQ hands down for me.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

I played EQ for a year before switching to DAOC at release.

Fundamentally, EQ beats DAOC on content and DAOC beats EQ on playability.

EQ Content:

Bigger game world
More mobs, quests and items
More high level content
More bits & pieces: trade skills, languages, etc
Greater variety of spells, etc
Better player-based market
Greater variety of servers

DAOC Playability:

Less downtime (regeneration, corpse runs, travel)
Faster levelling (less XP loss on death, more XP gained per kill)
Better interface
Better grouping tools
Better PvP implementation

I've pretty much moved to DAOC permanently as I've found it to be more fun, personally. Part of that was being able to come into a 'new' game rather than one that has been going for years (playing alongside other people's main characters instead of everyone's alts for a change).

If you haven't given DAOC a go then it's definitely worth a shot - it's a lot of fun.

B

Bootae

DaoC has a lot more to do than EQ, with decent PvP and the whole realm combat lark.

EQ has got more lands and areas, but essentially playign EQ is always exactly the same. Group, kill mobs, group, kill mobs, and so on. zzzzzzzzz

L

Lusse

hmm.. i dont get why everyone say that eq is just kill mob kill mob kill mob etc... first of all you can solo a whole lot, and second of all... isnt Daoc kill mob aswell?
I do like the realm vs realm thingy and thats one of teh things that makes me wanna play daoc. pvp on eq is fine enough... alltho not as good as in daoc i can imagine

O

old.Bralkein

Ok, all I can say here is be careful!

I quit EQ almost exactly a year ago, so I can't really comment on SoL, but what I do know is that while DAoC seems to mostly have dealt with a lot of EQ's old problems (whole days spent item camping, rampant twinking, hours of downtime... ahh, the memories...) I have already cancelled my DAoC account.

This is because DAoC isn't the right game for me. In EQ, Norrath really is frickin' huge, aint it? I mean I thought it was great, I used to go exploring, and visit places just for the hell of it and all that. So if you like the largeness of EQ, and the varied world, you might want to think twice about playing.

Also, there is the problem with atmosphere. I really (REALLY) liked EQ's atmosphere, it was so enveloping and warm... mmm... but DAoC seems (to me anyway) dead in comparison. There's hardly any music, and everything seems so... functional I guess.

So I think to summarise, if you like EQ because of the atmosphere, the immersion, the good ol' Norrath world, because of the ambience in the cities, then DAoC may not be for you. If you ever bought all the history books there and read them hungrily, if you ever actually explored the Temple of Cazic-Thule just because it intrigued you so, maybe you should stay away from DAoC.

But if you like EQ for the game, for the monster hunting, for the little scraps of PvP, for the crap that doesn't fall under what I mentioned above, then... yeah, go with DAoC, I'm sure you'll have a great time ;)

Anyway, even if you do decide to stick with EQ afterall, then still keep an eye on DAoC, cause they're changing it back. For me (I must stress I'm often a minority man), DAoC is already worn out, and how long has the Euro version been out?
:sleeping:

But I still leave a space in my heart for DAoC, because I believe that a redemption is possible. Gonna be keeping an eye on the patch notes on the Camelot Herald, that's for sure!

L

Lanceloc

I couldnt sleep so I went and paid for a months subs to EQ again to remind myself what it was like.

Here's what happened....

Using the Ruins of Kunark game disc it took me 45 minutes to install the game, download the patches, renew my old station name (username) and create a character (Wood Elf, Bard).

A little frustrating!

Then I get into the game and realise

a) How crap the gfx are compared to DAoC (I change my former opinion now)

b) The music loops every time I move or rotate (arrrrggh)

c) How crap the gfx are!!!

After /ooc stating my problem, some high level comes up to me and gives me 5 platinum and my first chant. Nice lady she was!

I think I'm gonna try n sort out my music for EQ and play it for a month just for some variety...we'll see what happens.

I doubt I'll extend that 1 months subs. Seriously. Its only £8 so what :p

Ahhh bugger it.

D

Danya

DAoC levelling is boring. I guess EQ levelling is boring but I can;t really comment. DAoC PvP is why I play it when it comes down to it, that and the community of players on the servers. RvR is very exciting and somewhat frantically paced as you can go from alive to dead in seconds... Whole battles can be won or lost on a single spell cast or resisted. It's great.
As for the players the community here seems to me very friendly for the most part. There are few players you can't just strike up a conversation with in group chat if a little bored. Helps make the levelling pass by a little quicker. ;)

O

old.Ayeye

Try also Ultima :)

I remember when I bought Eq on 20 march 99.
I played it for uhm... half hour then I went back to Ultima!
I retried after some months and played it for 10 days... then I went back to Ultima.
I re-retried it last year and I played it for 2 months... then I went back to ultima!
Then I bought Daoc this year and after about 3 years and half in Ultima, I decided Daoc was worth to try for some time and until now I enjoyed really much and I think to stay althouhg I will never delete my uo account!
Daoc IMOH is better compared to EQ bacause of RvR.
Eq is like playing at Ultima Online only in Trammel.
And also IMHO I think that everybody should try Ultima Online at least for a while: no game is so deep and complete like this one.

L

Lusse

good valid points.. I really love the hugeness of Norrath and Luclin (having both offcourse) and the graphics with SoL is superior to DAoC (according to many many many players) but I still like the idea of RvR.... And just to try something new.. Alltho i want to ding 60 with my monk aswell for when they release Planes of Power.. that will be some fun... but still no pvp... and I hate bluebiness :p

What about classes? ar they well balanced? Tradeskills?

O

old.Plebo

I played EQ for about 1 week, on or off. I found it pretty addictive and enjoyed playing initially. But at the end of the week I discovered that I was porgressing very slowly. I'd been killing mob after mob and still could barely afford any decent trousers, let alone a decent weapon. I realised that I would need to invest more hours in the game than I was prepared to give. I also thought that combat was very boring as you just pressed one key and then sat back and waited for it to be over.

At the end of the week, I decided to give DAoC Europe beta a try. I found that it was more appealing initially as the graphics were a lot nicer. I was also impressed by the combat styles which give the combat a bit more interest and skill (but its still very limited). I found that I levelled a lot quicker too. Levels are great psychological factors in games like these as they make you feel like you are progressing, although the reality is that with each level you don't notice a lot of difference. I also found the user interface and the quests more interesting in DAoC. I also feel that my progess, which is now slow at lvl33, is still tangible and I'm looking forward to more RvR. The DAoC gameworld does seem a lot smaller than the EQ one.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I found DAoC more accessible and enjoyable.

The classes in DAoC are not that well balanced as some are still known as being hard to play. You need to think very hard about what way you will be playing. Will you like to group all the time? Will you like to solo all the time? Is your goal to be uber in Realm vs Realm? Some classes find it hard to get into groups, others don't.

I've not done tradeskilling, but the impression I get is that it is very very slow and labourious. While some people may enjoy spending days of playing time at a forge, this just isn't my idea of fun. Why do it if others are prepared to do it! I can just buy items of them.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

DAoC levelling is boring. I guess EQ levelling is boring but I can;t really comment.

I can. Levelling in DAOC is soooo much quicker than EQ. It's probably the main reason to go for DAOC over EQ. I played for a year and, though I suffer from multiple-character syndrome and have a tendency to wander and do other things, my highest level character was only 23 and next highest was 16. In DAOC my highest level is 27 and my next highest is 14 (I've been playing since UK release - 2.5 months).

And Lanceloc, you might be interested to know that they've recently made some changes to EQ that make the first 10 levels much easier to get (no corpse runs, faster XP, more food & drink, etc). After 10 you'll be back to the same old rate of progress :).

L

Lanceloc

Trine,

Thanks for the info. Even though the gfx in Kunark (not SoL) are inferior to DAoC they are still good. Its just the textures look more blocky close up. The character models are better in DAoC.

Not sure why my music is looping. I found from a few posts on EQ boards that its a Win2k/XP issue.

One month retrial will let me give the contest better judgement anyway and I fully agree with the fact that EQ is much larger and gives a better sense of immersion than DAoC even though the gfx are a bit dated.

My advice then after several reconsiderations is to try DAoC in parallel to EQ. You get a months free anyway and the game box is £20 (less than typical prices of £35).

I dont like UO because its 2D and I've outgrown 2D (even if the depth of the game is huge).

Long live 3D!!!!!!

I want a Forgotten Realms, Middle Earth or Dragonlance MMORPG!!!!

F

Flimgoblin

Tradeskilling is really quite dull in and of itself...

If it wasn't for the many other crafters in camelot and the amusing adverts/conversations/odd bit of roleplay that happens I'd have given up a long time ago.

Still it'll be nice to be one of the (from what I've seen) few Mithril weaponcrafters in Albion/Excalibur when I get there.

There's probably quite a few that have got to siege weapons and moved on ... but currently there's only 2 or 3 other weaponcrafters over 400 in camelot at all often.

R

Riddler

all i can say is that its worth a try ;)

not much to add to the pro's and cons about daoc, its a great game if you dont rush to lvl 50...nuff said i guess

Users who are viewing this thread