emotion in games

Phantomby

Loyal Freddie
Just a passing remark, i found this on the internet and it sparked a memory of an experience i had a couple of days ago when i went to the housing zone.

"Loss Of Shared Time In Phantasy Star Online

Robertson said that she had played the multiplayer PSO for some years, then had left it and moved on to other games. On hearing that the virtual world was to be shut down for good, she re-visited the world. Over time, her character had accrued power so was in no danger when re-entering the world, but the sight of desolation, empty spaces, the lack of camaraderie were palpable. Added to this was the knowledge that someone would flick a switch and the world not be there at all, just adding to the sorrow.

Roberson noted that this was an unusual feeling, as there was the mixture of a loss of real experience with the sense of losing something that in a sense was never really there at all - a quite unique video game experience
."

full article
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10561

basically as i visited the housing zone, what was once a heaving mass of houses has become a series of empty plots with the occasional house dotted about. It bought a sense of emptyness to what was once a thriving area. which was a little depressing (i didnt cry i promise:))

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Ive always said to my m8s that I will be the one dowsing the torches in Jordheim when Excal closes, and I probably will. Standing in my old guild house brings back fond memories when we packed out the first floor on our guild gatherings, or the top of Gna Faste Tower - another empty zone that used to be abundant with the sound of werewolves dying and crafters whittling away for hours upon end.

Sometimes even on here sentiment is shown by players when they remark about friends long gone, or days hunting in the old realms and frontiers.

Its akin to leaving school, whereas your day to day routine of walking through the gates to be greeted by friends, who now you have not seen since, have long passed. Replaced by antisocial working hours, family and even your gaming world. Time to time the thought comes "where are they now?"

But thats life, we make our mark on the world and shuffle on to pastures new before slipping off this mortal coil and joining the choir invisible, leaving behind the imortal words:

"Gone but not forgotten".

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
I know exactly what she means. Sad to log in to check my rent and see what used to be someone's house now a lot stone. I mean, it's only pixels...but they're pixels that represent something, that embody it. That's why I'd never sell an account of mine; I've got too much of me invested into that particular arrangement of pixels to want to have somebody else driving it around.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
old.Whoodoo said:
Ive always said to my m8s that I will be the one dowsing the torches in Jordheim when Excal closes, and I probably will.
I'll be standing next to you.

And I'm quietly confident that most of us will be running around together again in WAR.

kivik

Part of the furniture
Svartmetall said:
And I'm quietly confident that most of us will be running around together again in WAR.

I hope so too :)

And I feel exactly like above posters, I've also said I'll be the here until the end, when the servers close. Many would say this is just it's just a game, but it ain't, it's more than just a game... :)

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Agreed PvE does seem very dead, and is a slightly despressing feeling on the rare occasion I go to areas that once would have been busy, I know I wouldn't stay a week if I started the game now. On the other hand I'm not interested in PvE anymore beyond obtaining what I need for RvR, and as long as I feel RvR has enough players and diversity that I enjoy it I will keep playing.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
It is sad. I sometimes reactivate old game accounts from games past and feel bad that I'm the last person in a long dead guild, corp, clan or allegiance.
I suppose it's hard to appreciate for someone who hasn't made so many online friends which is why people who don't do as we do often disdain the time we spend "playing" - but we're a social creature, us humans, and what better way to meet people with similar interests than to log into a game that IS that similar interest? :) It's just bad when it ends because you lose friends and mourn for that loss.

Long live :
UO - Blades of Fury
Eve - Deathstar International
Asheron's Call - Faith Decryer
CS - Clan PFF
And so many more...:drink:

I'm with you about Warhammer. I mean, even if it's just a fad I can't see many of us DAoC or ex-DAoC players not wanting to at least try it. The only thing that concerns me is the US vs EU Warhammer divide. A great deal of us are going US but I know many will just buy the local version and I think that's sad in a way as we're going to be displaced from each other.

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Tbh, people who buy US accounts are nuts. half the population is playing at odd times wich means crappy raid times, maybe not meeting the other GG's.

A mate of mine played Merlin, said it was hell and only reason he started was because of beta account + beta friends. Ofc, he loved the game still but the odd gametimes was enough for him to decidice never to play like that again.

Thoose who buy US accounts for war will regret it in the long run.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
I doubt that's true if enough people play from the EU - if even half of the old DAoC pop (from just the English servers) played there it'd be fine.

Besides, I have to doubt the truth of that considering some first hand reports from guildies now playing or formerly playing in America - They said they never get problems with raids etc.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
I always thought I'd be the one hitting the switch on my way out, nice to see I wont be doing it alone ;) lotta fires to douse in jord(and tnn+cam for that matter...playing all 3 realms have been great these many years..and I doubt I'll be leaving anytime soon)

Small /salute from Dracus, Pos, Eilia, Zazz, Eveliss, Disao, Poseh, Draek, Zinix, Fishus and all my other alts.

Keep the faith!

ow and I'll prolly see you all in WAR anyway :D

/Dracus

Beovulf

Fledgling Freddie
Well there are certainly some strong feelings about the game which is nice to see. And although it is 'just' a game, on that game you forge freindships that last, you share experiences with other players where you think 'God that was fun.' Thats what makes this game special, the people that play it, who spend their time enjoying it and helping others to enjoy it. I for one will be sad to see everyone zerg to WAR (an yeah ill prob be there too) but if all else fails, take a really big fraps recording (like a day in you toons existence) and watch it over and over.

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
I will still remember the times in DAOC when I'm 100 years old, and tell stories to my grand grand kids.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I feel bad when I log into a old TS server that use to be striving which is now empty.

I think the idea of 'its just pixels' is stupid too. Some of us love this game with a passion. Passion smarks the emotions.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Dr_Evil said:
I will still remember the times in DAOC when I'm 100 years old, and tell stories to my grand grand kids.
Granpa: "Well kids, you see, when I was your age I have slain dragons, and fiersome warriors from far and strange lands"
Kids: "ooohhhwwww, with your own hands?"
Granpa: "Yes, certainly! I walked around in armor made of chained metal rings wielding a great broadsword."
Kids: "oooohwww! cool!! Where did you do that then"
Granpa: "well, I usually started with a nice ale, and then logged into prydwen..."
Kids: "Waddafak?? o_O"

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Got in a nostalgic mood now, damn you.

Did some searching around and found alot of cool stuff,

server stats from Prydwen

Excalibur

not updated in a long time as you can see :) a nice little trip back in time

also found a nice screenshot of a Blood Eagles guildmeeting, where my dwarf of doom is present! Probably at lvl 10-20 or so :)

But anyhow, will probably stay around for some time too :)

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
I doubt the people that are left will leave till something better comes along - think we all hope Warhammer will take us back to the hey days.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
RS|Phil said:
I doubt the people that are left will leave till something better comes along - think we all hope Warhammer will take us back to the hey days.
WAR won't be taking us back to anything, it'll be making new heydays all its own.

:D

Beovulf

Fledgling Freddie
Pretty much written in stone that everyones gonna adopt WAR as the new DAoC in their lives :fluffle: It's sad to think that DAoC wil be thrown to the wolves or neglected like the ginger nephew that nobody likes :p Ah well, time to dress up as a axe wielding servant of choas rather than a tranquil, servant of the Church of Albion. Mind you, 2007 is a long way off yet :(

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Speaking of, anyone done a Poll for which side people are choosing yet?

I'm loathe to start one... I see so many polls around here I'm beginning to think we're all Morris Dancers.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Old MMO's are like old girlfriends.

Sure, you remember all the good times, all the good intimite sweating times in the midnight hours, all the times you were drunk together and had that funny "incident", the times you laughed, the times you cried, the times you didn't quite understand eachother, but still managed to get along at the end of the day...ah yes...old girlfriends...

And then you remember what a f*cking b*tch she was and why you dumped her a** a long time before sunday.

Now you're happy with your new and IMPROVED girlfriend, with much better graphics and reality.

Teh Seel has spoketh the truth goddamnit.

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
aww the memories. :<
its strange, 10-20 years from now ppl men wont talk about what they did and not did in the army etc. No they will talk about wich mmo,server,realm,guild,class,rr etc they were playing in their first mmorpg ;(

the old days where allways the best but then again, in a year or two i bet one of us will look at this thread again and think. aww even back then it was still good but now i just play for habbit with the other 250ppl thats usualy online on the cluster, war did suck and most came back just no notice daoc was realy "dead" this time exept a few walking ghosts.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Wonder how much I'll cry IRL when DAoC goes down, heh. DAoC will die, but as said; won't be forgotten - will allways have the days when you're talking about it. (The RP chat Grandpa/Kids on other page) and even when talking about how much XXX game sucks compared to a game (e.g.) made 20 years ago (DAoC in 20 years time)

Not much we can really do other than see what happens; who knows - Maybe WAR will fail and they'll somehow uber-pimp DAoC back into the gaming worlds.

Bit sad to know that most (mine aswell) people's first MMO will just one day be gone; but as I said - not much can be done... Will most probably just sit at the PC looking at the login pages till I have to uninstall =(

*Sigh*

=(

Mythic need to give everyone free shirts tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom