Email Privacy

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Just after some information, I have tried searching on Google but cannot see what I am after.

I have just discovered that where I work, the accountant actually receives a copy of everyones emails. She has actually admitted to reading peoples personal emails just for something to do. So my question is this actually legal? if not how can I prevent her from doing this?

Cheers

Stephen

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Quite sure it isn't legal. Cheeky cow, admitted it as well.

:eek:

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I know, although it has been some fun since I found out, by sending emails to my friends telling them I think I am gay :p

But seriously help me :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
there was a thread about this some time ago iirc. it's not allowed, unless it's explicitly mentioned in your contract?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
edit: seems the length of time since i read it has caused me to talk bull shit. so here is the accurate info -

Human rights in the workplace

Many of the principles of the Human Rights Act are designed to protect you as a worker within the workplace.

For example, you have the right to a private and family life. So an employer who discriminates against a gay worker, for example, may be violating that worker’s right to a private life.

Your employer has the right to monitor communications within the workplace as long as you’re aware of the monitoring before it takes place. Monitoring can cover:

* emails
* internet access
* telephone calls
* data
* images

You have the right to see any information held about you (for example, emails or CCTV footage).

Your right to a private life means you have the right to some privacy in the workplace. You can’t be monitored everywhere. If your employer doesn’t respect this, they’ll be breaching human rights law (as well as UK law).

maybe easier just to phone these guys about it -

You can call the Acas helpline on 08457 47 47 47 from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday.

im unsure if the accounts clerk comes under 'monitoring' or 'nosey twat'

TdC

but wait, doesn't actually persuing the monitored content require just cause? the monitor admitted reading the stuff because she was bored as fuck. Cal's boss should put the nosy fuck to work imo. the monitor, not Cal heh :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
It's a fun one this. There's still a lot of legal debate about this due to conflicts between the Human Rights Act (which gives you a right to privacy in your private dealings, including at work), and the Regulation of Investigatory Power Act (which gives your employer the right to monitor you).

Basically current legal consensus is it's legal if:

- You are told about it
- You are constantly reminded about it
- It's mentioned in Policies which you've agreed to comply with
- Employees are generally aware that it's happening

Otherwise, it's distinctly illegal. Worse, if the person doing the monitoring is
reading peoples personal emails just for something to do
that's distinctly illegal (no legitimate reason to do so, and therefore a violation of privacy), so should be reported and disciplinairy procedures, and/or criminal prosecution, should take place.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Draylor said:
Read your contract etc, chances are your employer has the right to do anything they choose with emails.

We've had threads about this before: sadly I cant recall enough of the details to actually search for it, but I expect someone can.

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=170535&highlight=privacy there is at least one. Warning: from what I remember half the replies were utterly retarded.

Actually most companys will provide Acceptable Use Policies for Internet and Email which is then seperate from the contract, this allows the company to change and react to incidents without needing to re-write everyones contracts.

The email policy will normally class appropriate and inappropriate usage of the system, and details monitoring and procedures (i.e. all mail will be read by a senior member of staff)

From what I remember, DPA 1998 (monitoring of employees) mentions that the company must notify the employee prior to any monitoring taking place, in written form (verbal is a big nono when it comes to it)

Check your email policy and confirm if it states that every email will be read, if not then approach your manager with your concerns.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Insane said:
Actually most companys will provide Acceptable Use Policies for Internet and Email
And theyll all have different names for them, thus "contract etc" covering all such fluff. Heh

TdC

no. your subs to hot yaoi sites are common knowlege, and often talked about.

G

theres mostly a comuting secirury policy that you signed as wel las your main contract of employment which sasy the nazi's can read your emails and see what goat pron sites you visit, they most likely haev your credit card details as well if you have bought anything at work. Ask to see the IT policy and look at your contract to see if they havwe included a big brother clause. If not, sue them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom