Elder Scroll IV: Oblivion Screenshots

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Damn cool game, i didn't play the one before (Morrowind?) so i'm not that sure about skills etc. but hopefully get the hang of things soon. I decided to make a custom class, I've picked no magic skills as main attributes though - That a bad idea? (I heard it might be).

What classes / custom classes are you guys playing?

- Penguin

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
I picked the Assassin premade class, quite fun with sneaking around :) Although got quite crap magicpool, next char is gonna be a caster/brawler hybrid :D

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
I made a custom stealth class, picked invisibility ability too - Great fun. Want to join the Thieves guild next,

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Seems like either some warrior or stealther type are the popular choices, but no doubt you can have fun with any of the classes or custom classes you choose.

Btw paralyze poison on weapon when sneaking behind is the way to go :) Preferrable paralyze with a damage health attribute, quite hard to get ingredients it seems... only made it last 1sec so far. But quite fun to see the enemy freeze and slump down :D
Also got The Lover birthsign so can paralyze enemies for much longer. Quite good when I'm fighting a humanoid boss ;)

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Made myself a woodelf assassin, and I totally disregarded the main questline :) Instead I murdered someone and joined a dark cult of assassins, totally awesome, like a completely different game. ( Also have a nord knight im playing through the main questline with.) Its just great how you dont have to do anything you dont want to do.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
having great fun with it :)

one toon is tank type, going through the main story line
secondry toon is currently guildmaster of the thieves guild , and quite far (i think) through the assasins guild quests
poisoning bows is so much fun.. silence is most useful thing ive found so far, stops people casting while u shoot them :twak:

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Best game in a good while, and I couldn't stand Morrowind/Baldur's Gate; so it's not just for people who liked those games.

Currently playing an:
assassin/thief vampire. :p

Tilda

Is it fun being a vampire? ie, do you have to go eat peoples throats or does it fuck up your game?
I have it on order!

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
I have been playing it for a few days now, its an amazing thing they have made, but it has one huge flaw which I think has pretty much killed it for me now at level 10 ish. There is no real point to levelling, you may as well just stick at level 1 because every time you gain a level, so does the rest of the world. You can be champion of the arena at level 1 then get killed by a wolf at level 10.

I realised this when I thought - "No I wont go in that Oblivion gate yet, i'll explore a bit first and get a level", it made no difference whatsoever. You can, quite feasably grind your way up a few levels in a town (sneaking, alchemy, acrobatics), then walk along a path, meet a 'newly levelled' bandit wearing the next level of armor up and just upgrade your own pretty much instantly.

It makes running those Forts, Camps, Caves etc pretty obsolite as you never really find anything of value even from very hard locked chests. The only real way to get that piece of 'uber' armor is to level up then pluck it from a local highwayman.

I understand why they have done it, it means you can explore the whole world and never find anything that you cant really 'handle' you'll never find anything thats too high level for you which makes the whole map accessable right from the get off. But it kills any feeling of advancment, you will never reach any kind of 'god status' because the rest of the world will become god right along side you. You'll never have better weapons or armor than your opponents because they get upgrades at the same time you do.

You can change your playstyle so you always get +5 modifiers to stats each level but I really dont want to have to stop using my bow and switch to sword because I have already guaranteed a +5 agility and need the +5 strength, it ruins it.

I think this is a major gripe with a lot of people, i'm sure some mods will come out in due time that alter the way this works. I think I might leave it till they come out because at the moment its frustrating to play.. I'll stop ranting now ;)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Tilda said:
Is it fun being a vampire? ie, do you have to go eat peoples throats or does it fuck up your game?
I have it on order!
Well, Bethesda have the entire vampire thingy a bit backwards (the longer you go without feeding, the stronger you become).

So, I've modded my Oblivion with a mod named "BetterVampires" that basically "fix it" so that it's actually a lot of fun. Yes, I have to go "feed" once every night or such if I want to keep the vampire abilities.

Taking damage from "sun light" is a bit bugged (you don't have to actually be out in the sun as long as you're outside - even if you're definately in shade) - so that can be annoying, but as long as you do your work during night time (avoid insta travelling, it's just not healthy as a vampire) it's all fun. :)

Some of the Vampire abilities are a huge benefit as an assassin/thief.

Now, if only I can mod the mod so that it doesn't turn my female into something male looking (complexion at lowest makes it a semi-male face) at random saves :/

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Yea Gef it's abit of a drawback. Found it silly u could be arena champ at lvl 1 since maindude scales with ur lvl. And also at lvl 15+ and so on ish bandits and highwaymen start to show up in mithril/glass/daedric armor and weaps. glass weapons as early as 15ish iirc. Kinda silly to think they need to become bandits when they got such uber gear. Might aswell just sell the gear and live as lords :p

On the good side you can download player created mods made with the Construction Set (genious thing by bethesda) so that the rare armor and weaps really become rare. Like petty bandits in fur/leather usually and very rarely in better. Makes it an effort to aquire high end gear. You can also make the enemies etc not scale with ur level aswell, lots of stuff out there.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I liek the way u lv and mobs lv tbh,it keeps it a challenge.Btw 1 thing ppl never seem to mention is that not many mobs actually lv as u do, its only really the humans, the rest get changed for harder mobs
i.e a rat doesnt ever get much harder but after a few lvs u will see less rats and maybe bears instead.way ppl talk on forums is like at lv10 u will fight lv10 rats and thats not how it works.
Also its alwas worth doing caves,forts ect cus items scale aswell so if u lv10 and do a fort u will find harder mobs but better items aswell...BUT u will also still see rats/wolfs ect which u can 1 shot
so pls pls pls dont listen to what ppl on official forums say cus they tell new ppl that at lv30 u will be fighting lv30 rats/wolfs and thats just rubbish:)

P.S i agree about bandits getting good items to fast tho

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Remade my initial character and created a new character - This time a woodelf - Custom class again - Lots of fun. Like bows alot.

I really like just wandering around and finding cool stuff - Wish i could carry more though as i always end up rushing back to sell all my loot!

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Talivar said:
I liek the way u lv and mobs lv tbh,it keeps it a challenge.Btw 1 thing ppl never seem to mention is that not many mobs actually lv as u do, its only really the humans, the rest get changed for harder mobs
i.e a rat doesnt ever get much harder but after a few lvs u will see less rats and maybe bears instead.way ppl talk on forums is like at lv10 u will fight lv10 rats and thats not how it works.
Also its alwas worth doing caves,forts ect cus items scale aswell so if u lv10 and do a fort u will find harder mobs but better items aswell...BUT u will also still see rats/wolfs ect which u can 1 shot
so pls pls pls dont listen to what ppl on official forums say cus they tell new ppl that at lv30 u will be fighting lv30 rats/wolfs and thats just rubbish:)

P.S i agree about bandits getting good items to fast tho
Yea, but it's kind of silly with this swapping as you get higher lvl ;p The lowlevel creatures are rarely seen like the foodchain got turned upside down, u be lucky to meet the lowlvl animals and stuff at higher levels. Just brown bears and boars popping everywhere

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Maybe the idea was thats more oblivion gate open the weaker wildlife is killed off and only the tougher beasts and monsters can survive,hence why u see them.
Thats only my way of explaining it tho, isnt anything official.

Lethul

FH is my second home
The scaling system starts to feel abit wierd after a while tbh :p And daedric/glass stuff is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to common imho. no more *wow* feeling when find it

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Talivar said:
Maybe the idea was thats more oblivion gate open the weaker wildlife is killed off and only the tougher beasts and monsters can survive,hence why u see them.
Thats only my way of explaining it tho, isnt anything official.
Hehe well if u close an oblivion gate at lowlvls u still get the lowlevel animals around, and isn't it so that post-apocalypse mostly rats and cockroaches will survive? :D

Anyways some mods I'm planning to use after I've played through the mainquest atleast... want my first run-through to be as "untouched" as possible :>

Then these mods look promising:

Adventurers - Oblivion 0.1
"Balances" the game according to this dudes own preference, lots of sensible stuff, like gems and furs being more expensive and arrows flying at higher velocity.
The Weather Wizard
I too felt that Skringrad lacked abit of quests (only found 3?), such a nice town.

You also have all the level-scaling mods, and equipment rarity mods. Gonna wait abit and see which turns out to be more balanced.
After all, game's been out for bit over a week in the US and less than a week in the EU! :D
Of course mostly restricted to PC users :flame:

Toying around with the CS (Construction Set) is quite intuitive aswell, but abit overwhelming in the start. Lots of things to do before you get a working quest aswell.

Have in mind player created quests/content most probably won't have professional voice acting/voice acting at all and not all are fantasy writers. But still it's quite mind-boggling how creative us players are, and no doubt prolongs the life of this excellent game endlessly much like a MMO, but with no monthly fees ;)

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Doesnt feel that special being a vampire, need to go long without feeding to get the cool abilities but then you cant move in daylight, which sucks. Actually got pwned by that, was travelling to some cave and suddently it was day and I started taking damage from the sunlight, could not find any place to hide so died :D

I enjoy being a theif, but think the game wants me to use bows and not blades as I am using now. Anyhow, pickpocketing and sneaking around is awesome. Also cool to persuade people. Although my sneaking skills are quite high, I find it hard to pickpocket anything without getting caught :s

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Coldbeard said:
Doesnt feel that special being a vampire, need to go long without feeding to get the cool abilities but then you cant move in daylight, which sucks.
Maybe this is something for you?
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Reverse_Vampire

Oh and btw, Vampire + Daylight is not supposed to be without danger. You have to have something to compensate for the quite powerful abilities.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Coldbeard said:
Although my sneaking skills are quite high, I find it hard to pickpocket anything without getting caught :s

Take your shoes off and make sure you dont have RUN on as that gives you away very fast. You need to keep your sneak skill pretty damn high and keep it high because dont forget every time you level, the world levels with you .. and unfortunately so does their level of sneak, and hence their ability to detect you.

An easy way of training sneak is to follow a guard round town in the dark and make sure he doesnt detect you. You can gain 10 points in about half an hour..

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Gef said:
Take your shoes off and make sure you dont have RUN on as that gives you away very fast. You need to keep your sneak skill pretty damn high and keep it high because dont forget every time you level, the world levels with you .. and unfortunately so does their level of sneak, and hence their ability to detect you.

An easy way of training sneak is to follow a guard round town in the dark and make sure he doesnt detect you. You can gain 10 points in about half an hour..

Sneak is my highest ability atm, think I have expert sneaking skills. Think it is journeyman sneak where boots no longer affect your sneaking? Also I should be able to run while sneaking when having expert sneak as well?

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
I just installed it to my computer, and I must admit the graphics are just corgeous - best I've seen in PC tbh.

Also the user interface, etc were very intuitive to use, I highly recommend the game to all morrowind fans :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom