edinburgh - Is it worth it?

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
So me and my gf are going on a trip to either amsterdam or edinburgh. I have been neither and she has been in amsterdam a couple of times. my job is now to investigate how edinburgh is as a place to vacate.

So im asking the OT FH community! whats worth seeing in and around edinburgh. good places to live etc. does it have nice nature nearby? and what about the nightlife?

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
not really answerring you question

but Amsterdam sure is worth it :worthy:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i went to Edinburgh for a day a few weeks ago and it was awesome, if you are touristing and sight seeing theres plenty available (im not usually a fan of the usual tourist stuff but the dungeon was awesome, and you get discount if you go on a tour first ;) )

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Back when I lived up near there my company went on one of the tours of the old streets, the ones below the city.
Definately worth doing!

Probably not the best weather for wandering about in the nearby countryside at the moment but there's plenty about should that be your thing.

Nightlife is also good up there..

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
any suggestions of what to visit while there?

oh and orm. i have no doubt that its not worth going amsterdam, i wanna go see both places, but dont know anything about edinburgh :) havnt been there, neither has she.

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
For starters, there is a ton of history stuff to go see. Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile (Which has the medieval street thing) and of course the dungeons. As long as you dont mind that most of our history involves killing the English (or the English killing us!)

The night life is pretty awesome too! For starters, I'd check out The Omni Centre, its a night out all in one, loads of pubs, restraunts (including an awesome Chinese Buffet!) and a cinema. Theres a huge amount of classy bars around the city centre that are worth a look, plus if you are in the mood for laughs I'd definatley recommend The Comedy Stand, its the best £10 you'll ever spend! :D

Hope that gets you started.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Edinburgh is a great city, back when I was dating a girl from there I loved seeing the place.

So much history and places to see.

I strongly suggest you go on some of the merkat tours, the ghost tour and the city under the city tour are well worth it.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
i feel like spreading love, here's some reps for the people replying!

/edit

pm me if you didnt get it, cant keep track of who i repped! <3333

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
edinburgh is for heroin.

amsterdam is for pot.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Edinburgh is a great place - went there for bonfire night last year, and had a smashing time. Some really nice places to eat/drink/hang out, good shops and a nice vibe. You've also got some fantastic history in the castle and military museum, the Royal Mile, Holyrood Palace, and if you want to go for a nice walk and feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, go for a walk up Arthur's Seat.

Having been to both Edinburgh and Amsterdam in the last 2 years, I'd say Edinburgh beat Amsterdam hands down - was a really really great weekend.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Been Edinburgh couple of times - really good night out.
You should check out the Three Sisters bar - it is an old church style conversion - loads of little confessionals that you can sit in etc like little rooms and stuff - really nice bar. Best place we found for food was The Badass Cafe - I think thats the name - tucked in a side street off the Mile..

You should check the place out its lovely tbh..

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Amsterdam is pretty fun, been there a couple of times. Nothing really special to do cept going to the odd coffee shop.. But you already do that at home ;)

And then theres red light district.. But don't think you and gf will be spending much time there.. unless you're shopping for sextoys :>

I don't know about edinburg, but i think amsterdam is a little overrated.

scarloc

Fledgling Freddie
I went to Edinburgh a while back, it's a really nice place, nice people and lots of history. There's lots of awesome pubs too, I especially liked the food at Shakespeare's!

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
How long you planning to stay up here? If its a few days you're only an hour train ride from Glasgow as well.

Edinburgh is a big place, you won't be able to see everything if your staying a short time, but i'd recommend a day out to glasgow as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom