Ecstacy blocks cancers?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4532569.stm

is it just me or do we seem to be getting these sort of messages every other week now? "cannabis is good" "cannabis is bad" "ecstacy is evil" "ecstacy is good" (though it does say it will kill you to block it :p )

anyone else find it silly? :p

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
There are always (well most the time :p) good and bad side affects with all drugs, and pretty much anything around you. =o

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
people dont wanna admit that something they banned is actually better than they thought.
like weed, i know several people who have made their cold lose the symptoms after smoking it.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
Catsby would like to point out that people should really read the article.

However, the researchers stressed that the use of ecstasy was not so straightforward - the dose required to block cancer growth was so high it would kill the patient.

Catsby certainly sees a downside to this, and can hardly walk away thinking that ecstasy is good for you.

As with everything that Catsby has seen in the field of science, future medicines are simply the active compound of existing chemicals. Catsby knows that you can't drink enough gin and tonic to prevent malaria, yet the compund is there!

G

Drugs like E are bad, i'm gunna ring your mum and tell her.

Oi, get your filthy hands off my desert

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
tris- said:
people dont wanna admit that something they banned is actually better than they thought.
like weed, i know several people who have made their cold lose the symptoms after smoking it.

wow, you really didnt just say something that stupid did you.

G

i have decided to end all my comments with a Pink Floyd lyric (my sigs got a top lyric in it as well), you lot need some education regarding good music

G

i have decided to end all my comments with a Pink Floyd lyric (my sigs got a top lyric in it as well), you lot need some education regarding good music

s'cusi dove il bar
(What?)
se para collo pou eine toe bar
s'il vous plait ou est le bar
(...say it in English!...)
oi, where's the fucking bar John?
(Oh, now you're talking!)"
Oh! Rule Britannia! Britannia rules the day
Down!
Go, Maggie!
Hammer, Hammer, Hammer, Hammer, now!

tris-

Ch3tan said:
wow, you really didnt just say something that stupid did you.

if thats your oppinion then be my guest :wub: im just pointing out FACTS that people i know smoked weed and their cold symptoms were no longer there. now you will probably say "maybe their cold just happend to end on the day they smoked it". it also happend for me too btw. so untill i see some proof disputing what i seen with my own eyes, then i will continue to believe what i saw.

weed is already used for medical use in america, given out by doctors. but i already know what your gonna say next, so there is no point in me saying anything else :)

G

i refer to pink floyd lyrics in relation to this topic

Just a little pinprick. [ping]
There’ll be no more --aaaaaahhhhh!
But you may feel a little sick.

Can you stand up?
I do believe it’s working. good.
That’ll keep you going for the show.
Come on it’s time to go.

There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ship’s smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can’t hear what you’re sayin’.
When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse,
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it now.
The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Catsby said:
Catsby would like to point out that people should really read the article.

Catsby also needs to understand that in the "media eye" you "should" or "will" die if you take several in one night. Anyone with any experience of the drug knows this is laughable.

tris-

Will said:
Heh, you're funny.

is that in reference to me? i find it hard to work out why youd think i would lie about what i saw and experienced my self.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
tris- said:
so there is no point in me saying anything else :)

Finally you've said something we can all agree on :)

Really, drugs to get high I can understand. Trying to justify getting high by saying it helps you with the common cold is laughably naive.

tris-

i feel actually i will need to say something else. the way your implying it is that i have heard from a friend of a friend of a neighbours dentist retared step cousins girl friends barber, that it has an effect. i already said, it happend to me. the day after my sore throat was gone, head aches gone and no more block nose. its happend on more than one occasion. so if you still think it was just the time that my cold would go anyway, then i dunno what i can say to ya. your obviously set in your ways and i wont change your mind :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Sore throat, headache, blocked nose.

Aspirin cleared all that for me.

My personal opinion on drugs is as always, smoke it if you want, but don't stick it under my nose, but i'll still commnt this:

Sure, weed can make you better every now and then, but it doesn't make smoking it right.

Having sex without a condom can feel better and give you a sexperience of a lifetime, but that don't make it a f*cking good idea.

Not the same thing for sure, but you get the point.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
Swift^ said:
Catsby also needs to understand that in the "media eye" you "should" or "will" die if you take several in one night. Anyone with any experience of the drug knows this is laughable.
Catsby notes that this quote was not from "THE EVIL MEDIA WHO SEEK TO DESTROY YOU AND YOUR WAY OF LIFE(tm)", but from the researcher. As with all substances (including water), Catsby can ingest sufficient quantities to die, as the substance becomes toxic after a level.

Catsby seriously doubts your suggestion that the researcher actually has a hidden agenda of dissuading the use of ecstacy. However, Catsby suspects that you have been smoking so much weed that you have become paranoid. In which case Catsby is out to get you.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Not at all tris, I'm sure youve experienced these things yourself. That doesn't make it a fact, it makes it what you believe. If it's proven scientificly then I'll accept it. Till then dont try and delude anyone that your smoking for any other reason than to get high.

G

Does catsby must work for huntingdon life science

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

venus

Fledgling Freddie
I have to back up tris a bit here. Cannabis has been shown to help relieve symptoms of many conditions in clinical trials. Im sure most of you have heard about people who suffer from MS using it to relieve there symptoms.

Here is some other examples:

Arthritis, Appetite Loss, Nausea, Cancer Chemotherapy, AIDS Wasting Syndrome, Nausea From Cancer, Chemotherapy, Glaucoma, Multiple Sclerosis, Depression, Parkinson’s Disease, Movement Disorders, Dystonia, Asthma, Brain Injury/Stroke, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Depression, Mental Illness, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, High Blood Pressure/Hypertension, Migraine, Nail Patella Syndrome, Schizophrenia, Tourette's Syndrome.

The problem is things like this:

Cannabis contains more tar than tobacco, and has a higher concentration of carcinogens (cancer-causing agents)
It may be psychologically addictive. Heavy users can display aggressive impulses if their supply suddenly stops, a side effect similar to that of anabolic steroids
Cannabis may be a 'gateway' drug to more harmful substances like heroin and cocaine
It can disrupt the control of blood pressure increasing the risk of fainting. Even occasional use is bad for people with heart and circulation disorders, and for those predisposed to schizophrenia

Hence the reason that health professionals do not advocate the use of cannabis. So tris maybe right in what he is saying. It just has to be remembered that sometimes the side effects out weigh the benefits.

Linkage: Medical uses for cannabis BBC Fact Sheet

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah venus, I believe that anything that numbs your senses or relaxs you can be good for painful and mental conditions. But the common cold is not cured by weed.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Relief of symptoms only. Curing is kinda hard as it's a virus and most anti-viral agents are also anti-human. :<

nath

Fledgling Freddie
venus said:
It may be psychologically addictive. Heavy users can display aggressive impulses if their supply suddenly stops, a side effect similar to that of anabolic steroids
And cigarettes?

venus said:
Cannabis may be a 'gateway' drug to more harmful substances like heroin and cocaine

Strikes me that that's only because it's currently illegal - if it were available over the counter would that still be the case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom