Earth Wizard Good or bad?

Baldrian

Fledgling Freddie
I am on my way to level a wizard, My main reason was to make an Earth wizard to use in RvR sieges only. (not for RvR grouping ect.)

But I almost never hear anything else than negative about it. So I bring it here?
Good or bad? Is he worth anything?

And what spec would be good?
48E/24F
46E/28F

I have no clue, I just really like the GTAOE's for sieges. :p

Veno

Fledgling Freddie
You will have more fun with ice pbaoe on stairs or jumping off walls and bombing than just standing behind a wall and using gtaoe every 5 secs or whatever timer is. Earth is the worst line you could possibly spec in. Fire has bolts/high dd and ice has several dd's and pbaoe which is hugely funny when defending a tower.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
Eart spec; you get a spec bolt, spec dot & GTAoE.

Bolt is nice, but for that you can spec fire too. If you want GTAoE (for whatever), take it for the 2nd spec..

As for the DoT you get; Nowadays it's too easy to cure DoT's, and with resists etc.. also making target unrootable and unmezzable..

Not to mention the low dps dmg shield.. perfect for keeping aggro (in pve) on your wizz (NOT!) and perfect for root / snare breaking in RvR.
Fire & Ice > Earth.

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
gtaoe doesn't exactly kill people

You can have another specc (fire/cold) and keep earth as secondary and still have the fun with gtaoe :)

Napshot

Fledgling Freddie
hmm we have a couple in our guild, some are some weird specs that involed earth as main, try pm dirtywiz and ask him about his spec he is having alot of fun and kill some at the same time :)

Tiarta

Fledgling Freddie
imo earth is actually fine, you will find alot of hibs have crappy matter resists i know for sure Vulcans are near 0 % :p (good for 1-2 shotting casters in rvr)

also try the aoe snare (250-400 dmg) and damn good for interrupt.

so throw in a static tempest 3 and 2 earth wizzies spamming aoe snare and you will have alot of dead enemies.

Tiarta

Fledgling Freddie
Ilienwyn said:
gtaoe doesn't exactly kill people

true, but 1 single earth wizard can kill a fg mids/hibs sieging a tower, set groundtarget where healers are and pour oil, when they try to heal use gtaoe to interrupt and pour oil again ;)

gave me 7 k rp pretty fast at some Boldiam tower once.

also if we had more earth wizards in Albion gtaoe would be pretty nasty.

in old frontiers i once saw 4 earthwizards working together with /groundassist and thats fucking kickass.

enemies died FAST.

Earth wizard also got a very nice root and the aoe snare is underrated, as i said earlier i would love to see 2 earthwizards in a group together with a friar with static tempest 3 (aoe snare for teh win)

dirtywiz

Fledgling Freddie
really cant be arssed to defend earth wiz cause i really didnt do much els then that when i lvl'ed mine :wanker: ... earth is a very fun spec to go in rvr and only thing i would say is that 50k rpts and 50 deathblows can speak for them self =) go for it tiger i bet u wont regret it :cheers:

ps. gtaoe is not a killer no (hits for about 100-150) but hæj.. rush a tower and gt there ars's up there to interupt there spelcast when our fearless fighters charge up there... wel in my opinion that is better then UUHH look mom i killed one ; ) and tower defends.. yumyum have serveral times hunted a fg that was knocking on the door away solo :twak:

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
I do love getting a red damage shield from the nicer earth wizzies. :D its pure murder on DW enemies and sweet when running around beno bridge looking for stealthers :clap:

So long as they keep buffing me, the more earth wizzies about the better.

Baldrian

Fledgling Freddie
I know its not a killer, thats not what I wanted to make anyway.
And as some posted, if we had more EarthWizzies Sieging would be easy. :)

I think I will try it out, can allways respec. :)

Dirtywizz you have any good ideas for a spec? :)

Killswitch

FH is my second home
lo Baldy :)

I don't have an Earth Wizzy, but I had a look at the character builder and thought I'd write my thoughts down for you.

It seems to me that around 38 is the sweet spot for the Earth line. You won't kill anything with the GTAOE, but you need a high enough level spell to avoid resists. At least that way you can annoy them, try to use up their healers DI and whatnot. The other good things in this line are the Damage Shield (duo with ML9 sorc if you know one!) and the spec bolt.

In order to keep up your utility, you could also use a strong spec in a second line, so that you're not crippled when away from towers/keeps. I'd recommend FOTM Fire personally. I'm going to recommend a spec of;

38 Earth Magic
38 Fire Magic

This gives you;

THREE High-Delve 1875-range bolts (258 229 231) one of which tests against Matter resists
GTAOE Damage
AOE Root
AOE Damage and Snare
DD
AOE DD

All at decent levels. You'd probably want to get MoF3 as soon as possible, to get your CC and DD spells up to effective level 50 to avoid resists. With this spec, you should be able to frontload serious damage at bolt range, hold your own with DDs, AOE DDs and interrupts from root/snare AND be effective in keep sieges.

I don't think speccing higher Earth would be worth losing the damage from the Fire line.

Like I said, I don't have one of these...I don't even have a wizzy (except Groundforce my level 21 Earth wizz :p) but I reckon that would be a good spec to try out.

Kalidur

Fledgling Freddie
for PVE spec maybe mess around with split speccing like that but in RVR your seriously gonna be lacking. the three bolt spec on paper sounds good but in practicality theres very few chances your gonna get to get 3 bolts off, people will most of the time be out of LOS before you can get three bolts on them.

as a wizard if your main priority isnt damage than play an earth wizzy by all means, but if as a wizard you wanna do damage, either ice or fire.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Kalidur said:
for PVE spec maybe mess around with split speccing like that but in RVR your seriously gonna be lacking. the three bolt spec on paper sounds good but in practicality theres very few chances your gonna get to get 3 bolts off, people will most of the time be out of LOS before you can get three bolts on them.

as a wizard if your main priority isnt damage than play an earth wizzy by all means, but if as a wizard you wanna do damage, either ice or fire.

100% agree. :D

I just don't see any point speccing higher than 38 in Earth, so you need a second line, which might as well be fire. I'd imagine you'll do more damage with split-spec 38/38 that you would at 50 Earth 20 Fire. In fact, the only reason I can see for going high (46+) Earth is that you'll save yourself 10RSPs because you won't need MoF3.

You'd be crap away from towers/keeps though :p

Aurores

One of Freddy's beloved
Earthwizzi is so ybah, if you have the grp setup for it we have tested and hibbs are no match, little hard between midds but still good.

you just need to spamm Aoesnare good matter dmg and very nice interupt and they will also be snared.

you also have a very nice aoe root if you need to root they who goes on etc clerics.

so they who say earthwizzy sux dont know what they talk abaout =)

Novac

Fledgling Freddie
Earthwizzies are uber at aoe interupting yes. but the damage wont be good as pbaoe or fire spec nuke ever.

Aurores

One of Freddy's beloved
400dmg and also snaring and interrupting is what you need . then also have 1 firewiz in grp as i said you need the grp for it and we have tested its totally ybah. and btw dont go earth if you dont like support class.

yes not ybah dmg but they go down fast with aoe snare. trust me

Aurores

One of Freddy's beloved
they had said on mirc to us that the earthwizzy is a pain so i dont think it sux. you just need the group setup for it. and you also need to be pretty high rr for the fun with earthwizzy.

And btw, im ny rr8 gratz post 1 good player said nerf your earth spec, so its not bad.

Baldrian

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all the imput.
As I said from the start, no reason to compare with fire or ice.
I dont want a nuker. 80% of the wizzies in RvR are nukers, we dont need more.

I wanted to know if its worth anything, not if it do more damage that fire, cause I know they dont. Wanted to know if they have uses in RvR.

Seems to me they have plenty of uses and I did look on hib/mid templates, matter resist is rare.

Ands I fully agre, if we had 20% earth wizzies and 80% firewizzies at every siege, life would be easier. :) So I will go the earth way.

But I still need some good input about a good spec. Preferred from someone that have actually played it. :)

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
ask aurores, only wiz i know of that tried earth (with proper rank/equip/group)

oops didn't see his replies ;) earth is fine yeah

Jarahl

Can't get enough of FH
IF I'd ever make an Earth wizard I'd prolly go 47 Earth, 25 Fire, 8 Ice

Know a m8 who played that, he wasent fond of it tho.

Gives u every tool in Earth except DoT (Easy cured anyways), 5th Spec Fire Bolt (170D) and first pbaoe (Easy resisted but handy to uncover stealthers altho the chances are small)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom