E3 Stuff

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
couple of days, hope to hear a lot more about PS3 and warhammer online

phazey

One of Freddy's beloved
That wii looks really enjoyable. Armchair gaming is coming to an end.
Good price point too, which is nice.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
PS3 for me, I'm a sucker for aesthetics made by Sony. :) Oh yeah, and Final Fantasy XIII looks like God.

Chilly

Balls of steel
is FF the most serialised game ever? THIRTEEN fucking episodes...

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Sony had the most god-awful conference ever, one of Ubisoft's executives came out and told them as much too :)

Wii for me, so much good looking stuff coming. Smash Bros especially.

FF doesn't really have episodes, the idea behind them is that they can all be seperate individual games with almost nothing carried between them (with the obvious exception of FFX-2).

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
They got tons of converage on the Gamespot site, Bu tI do agree that the Sony Conference was pretty poor.

Wii sounds great with Zelda and a new Star Wars game.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You have to take E3 with a large pinch of salt tbh; every year one of the big three has a 'bad' conference with attendant fanboy predictions of doom (last year it was MS), but it rarely has anything to do with reality.

This year Sony are being slagged because apparently they lack innovation and the console is too expensive; this is interesting because the all the things that made the PS3 the 'winner' last year (power, functionality, architecture) haven't gone away, and the price is pretty much what people thought it would be given its High Def and BluRay functionality. People have criticised Sony's online plans as 'me too', but let's face it, if they didn't have online plans they'd be criticised for that too!

As for the criticism from Ubi, fairly ironic given Ubi are one of the biggest 'graphics whores' around; they're not exactly shy about pushing graphics as a key driver themselves are they? (GRAW, Far Cry, Splinter Cell etc). Sony have a vested interest in pushing graphics because its about a wider High Def play for for their electronics and content businesses.

Wii is interesting, but I think Nintendo are putting themselves in a different space to the others; the bulk of Wii buyers will probably have a 360 or a PS3 as well, and it would be a difficult call between the 360 and the PS3; the 360 will have the advantage of an established catalogue, and will probably be quite a bit cheaper than the PS3 for at least the first couple of years, but Sony could offset that by having a lower retail software price. The problem for 360 is that as time goes by, the benefits of having a PS3 will come to the fore; more people will get HD tellys over the next couple of years, as the broadcasters push it and set prices come down, and I have a feeling that Sony are going to be FAR more aggressive than MS on direct content distribution. All you need for the next few years will be in one box if you get a PS3, but the 360 will be a cludge of plug-ins and peripherals.

NB. Anyone know if Nintendo are going to do the Wii controller in left-handed versions?

Rustane

Fledgling Freddie
Lots of nice news on E3 .. but where is
new Jagged alliance and
new Fallout (regular or mmo)

:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom