E-Books

Alliandre

Fledgling Freddie
My overall impression is that they suck. Maybe it's just not being used to them.

I decided to order one yesterday, just to see if they'd be ok, but my suspicions have been proven correct. I'm not going to be taken away from real paper books.

Yes, it arrived in my email as soon as I'd paid for it. It's great. I download it, and it opens in acrobat reader. Great. I can read it straight away. But you don't get the satisfaction of an unpixilated front page. It's all zoomed in to fit the page width ways so I can't see the whole of the front of the book and get a better impression of it.

Now I scroll down expecting to start reading, but I forget about the few useless pages that you normally come across when you look at the first few pages of the book. The ones with the dedications and the second (why?) title page behind the first one. Of course in a normal book I could just flick past the first ten pages. I have since come to realise that you can click on the bookmarks down the side, and I've been cursing myself for doing all that hand dragging stuff beforehand.

When I do actually start reading, I start missing the friendlyness of something being on paper to read instead of straining my eyes staring at a screen, slowly falling apart as they've done many times while spending far to long on the computer, so I go to print off the book only to find that I can't. This is ridiculous. I know you have to prevent copyright fraud, but why bother? You could easily limit the amount of copies of document you could print out. You can photocopy an average book but they don't stop selling them. I'd like to be able to read my book off of the monitor as well.

However I was expecting this pettyness, so I read on for a while longer before realising that I want to go and do something else. I save the document, close it, and go do whatever it was I went to do. Today I come back to it, open it up and immediately think, "Now where was I? Oh no, you can't make a fold on e-books." So I decide to take a look at the notes feature that Acrobat Reader boasts about as I first open it up. I try making a note, then I go to save the document again. "Being as this is only a Reader, your notes will not be saved." Oh, great. What is the point?

I'd much rather read something on paper that will arrive nicely binded together, if a week later than an electronic copy that arrived immediately without as much freedom just because of paranoia about copyright fraud.

Does anyone else like using e-books? Or has anyone else ever used them at all?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Ive used one and didnt get very far with it.

I prefer proper books. I dont enjoy sitting at my PC reading.
There is nothing like sitting/lying somewhere comfy with a real book...

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I bought one too. I own a tablet so can put it into slate mode so its kinda a laptop where I can fold the screen over the keyboard so I can walk around with an A4 virtual pad in either portrait or landscape view.

http://global.acer.com/products/tablet_pc/images/icon_tmc300_pic07.gif

So I suppose I am holding more of a 'book' which adds to the feel to me anyway. The first dissapointment of the ebook was that this particular book had no art on the front cover but there was an image of the real book on the site!

The only benefit of an ebook is storage and for older people being able to change the font size is an excellent feature but hey I'm young so no probs there.

I think my ebook was about £4 with the real book not costing that much more. I think I would buy more ebooks but I do prefer holding a real book and they look half nice sitting on a shelf too.

As for bookmarking them I have tried a few ebook readers. I dont remember the name of the one I'm using ill post it later, something Reader but it allows you to add as many bookmarks down the side of the 'book' as you want.

And what was with having to pay VAT on a download?? ARG! (it was a few pence but its the principal! :p )

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
VAT? Books are exempt from VAT, I guess that doesn't extend to e-books.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I'd say the only reason I use EBooks is for reference books. Being able to search for a term in say, A Unix Bible, is so much easier than going to an index.

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Ive read a couple on my Pocket PC using Microsoft Reader. You can bookmark and you can highlight words to get their meanings if you have a dictionary installled. Its handy for the bus into work, but other than that I still prefer paper.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
I've read novels and technical stuff from screen, as well as from paper. I think maybe reading from a screen is better for the neck. That's the only thing I've noticed; I've enjoyed loads of stuff.

Vae

Resident Freddy
I've got a few e-books for reading from my phone (Handspring Treo 600). It's handy having a small library with me everywhere I go in case I get bored and don't have a book/paper to hand. The text size is perfectly readable while on the tube etc although you don't fit that many lines per page on my screen!

However I still much prefer proper books <looks around at many bookshelves overflowing with books>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom