DW Styles question

R

rhemis

just started my Merc and was wondering since im going Full DW which style is considered the use anytime one? or rather which style do most mercs use the most in RvR and PvM?

O

old.LandShark

DW has no good anytime. Only DW styles used are the 25->44 parry chain, 6sec stun on the 44style, and the positionals when possible.
Slash mercs will use amethyst -> diamond slash as their anytime, thrust mercs will.... make twice as much effort to use the positionals, or maybe sting, or even puncture->lunge which'd probably be OK if you had end regen :p
Crush mercs .... are a crazy urban legend.

D

deffy

Misty gloom isn't that bad when you get it(15) but it's useless in rvr, the 50 style duel shadows is used from the front and is decent but getting in front in rvr can be harder than it sounds.

K

K0nah

in rvr use positionals with your choice of anytime as backup. always best to open your first hit with the anytime unless u are SURE your gonna land the positional, cos if u fail the style ur gonna do gimp dmg :mad:

for slash, the anytime would be amythyst slash backed-up with either back slash/dual shadows or flank (in 1.62 i suggest backslash with flank as backup for runners :p )

for thrust, i guess the anytime would have to be sting... ;/

for crush, fook knows tbh :)

G

Galiryn

there is _no_ good anytime style, tbh i use the taunt style as a the anytime thingy ;p

B

belth

Backslash has higher end usage than Shadow's Edge?

F

Flimgoblin

misty gloom has the same growthrate as the polearm anytime I think...

(but doesn't the polearm anytime snare?)

R

RD_MuDgEtH

Crush mercs .... are a crazy urban legend.
Hah. True, so True.

Except for me, and Marrowgrind :/ (as far as I know on Excal)

Dual Shadows is an excellent Anytime, but as already mentioned, thats the lvl50 DW style, so dont expect it soon :D

As crush, I use Maul -> Bludgeon -> Contusions, which stuns the oponent if got off correctly ;)

B

belth

Can be counted as an anytime, atleast for Mercfiltrator :p

O

old.LandShark

Front positional styles are tankbusters or for the opening shot on a mezzed/stunned opponent, for example... not all that useful in real RvR. (tanks rarely face off with tanks without one side having a healer or friend left alive, at which point you might as well use a staff cos you're going down :p)

Originally posted by K0nah
for thrust, i guess the anytime would have to be sting... ;/

That, or puncture->lunge chain if you have a pala. Sting has lower end but the damage isn't any better really.....

O

old.mattshanes

Shadow's edge/penumbra chain does more damage than ame/diamond chain,can't see why many mercs do not use this chain it's very good.

K

K0nah

Originally posted by old.mattshanes
Shadow's edge/penumbra chain does more damage than ame/diamond chain,can't see why many mercs do not use this chain it's very good.

2x backslash does more dmg than that chain, a little more end usage yes but it kills them faster so... with end regen really not a problem.

A

adari

why is dual shadows not a good anytimer?

i spam it all the time

V

Vasconcelos

Originally posted by adari
why is dual shadows not a good anytimer?

i spam it all the time

Because is good for a toe to toe combat where both oponents are in front of each other (Dual Shadows is a front positional).
In open FG vs FG fights as a merc u will almost allways find yourself chasing an enemy so ShadowsEdge+Penumbra (back positional chain) should be your bread n butter. As Konah pointed, 2 Backslash inflict a bit more of damage but the end usage is higher.

As a thrust merc, i can tell you there isnt any good anytime style. I have set 2 QB for diferent ocasions: my 1ºQB is the open rvr. It has not anytimes on it, only the front style (DualShadows), the flank one (BasiliskFang) and the rear chain (ShadowE+Penumbra). And my 2ªQB is for duels or tank vs tank combat, its basically the same except it has the off-parry chain instead back positional. Facing a tank 1vs1 makes DualShadows an anytimer.

Anyways, i cant w8 till 1.62:

- DirtyTricks changes
- fluffy DualShadows, MistyGloom n Flank damage increase
- Increased the radius of positional styles, allowing to land DualShadows easier

S

sars

My 24BG crush (24crush 23dw) merc smack all.....i open whith concussion to slow the target then i go.... maul...bloodgeon...contusions. Target is usually dead whith 3-4 hits unless its a buffed tank might tank 1 or 2 more hits, and this is unbuffed and whithout crit hits. 6sec stun on contusion style wins the day evry time, also in duels.. Back crush for runners good dmg and stun.

I think you should go crush atleast til 20 to check out the styles and dmg atleast you get the auto train in slash then if you choose not to

B

belth

Should autotrain Slash/Thrust till 44 to get 50/50/31 ;)

25 crush
13 DW
20 parry

atm :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom