DVD Burners

X

xane

I'm after a nice and well priced DVD burner, IDE internal, good quality and reasonably fast.

Anyone recommend anthing, and also give me the run-down on the latest saga concerning the various DVD write formats, I'd prefer a drive that can do as many as possible.

Also I assume that all DVD burners are CD burners too and will work with EasyCD/DirectCD and such.

TIA

W

whipped

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=47733

I picked this one up a couple of months ago. Supports all the formats, is cheap and with a quick, free download, you flash the drive and it becomes a 4 speed writer.

Although, if possible, I'd avoid eBuyer. They have a big problem when it comes to delivery. I had half my last order delivered to my delivery address and the other half went to my billing address.

Saying that, their customer service sorted it out for me pretty quickly.

X

Xavier

sonys latest +/- writer is teh purdeh, as is Plextors - the Plexy is available as a USB2/firewire external unit too - tres spinkeh :D

C

CptDoom

Ive had a Pioneer r-105 for 3-4 months now, hasnt broken down, burns at 4x but only DVD-R but i dont need + afaik.

I think they a lot cheaper now too so go for it! Raragh

X

xane

Thanks for replies, but I eventually went with the Lite-ON LDW411S because it was a good price and I'd read some good reviews on it. I was tempted by the others (Pioneer, Sony, Plextor) but as I've used Lite-ON in the past and they don't seem that "cheap" dispite the price, I thought I'd give them another go.

I was desparate to do a backup of my HDD, so I loaded Norton Ghost and temporarily transferred an ancient CDRW to my machine, I was a bit shocked to see the backup of 14Gb take over 6 hours ! So this drive will hopefully be a little faster :)

If I am going to backup maybe I should use DVDs, can anyone recommend should I be using the + or - formats ?

T

Trem

I'm not sure it matters, I've always used - as they are the cheaper discs.

S

]SK[

Ive just brought a Pioneer 106 which is spot on. Long live DVDShrink!

S

]SK[

Yes saw that today, was gutted as I got mine on Tuesday, Only a fiver less than what I paid but then a fiver is a fiver.

T

Trem

That extra fiver you paid is well worth not having the oc-uk delivery heartache though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom