Dual logging :-|

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Now, that I respecced and ToA'ed myself up I'd like to go the way of Trollum and solo a bit in NF.

But I'm a buffless gimp :-|. I have two accounts, but can't dual log.

This is my machine: 2.4 GHz Pentium IV (533 FSB), 512 MB PC1066 RDRAM, GeForce 4600Ti 128MB AGP.

One of the accounts always goes linkdead (usually the bot account, anywhere from 5 - 30 minutes). I am currently upgrading the memory to 1GB and I'd like to hear what machine configurations dual loggers (2 accounts, same machine) are using to be able to solo and I am also interested in any hints for proper dual logging.

Don't say "get a cheap secondary PC" please, can't afford it right now.

Thanks in advance.

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
You're on the right path - more memory ;)

/clientsleep background
shut down all sound and use low resolution with minimum effects on bb PC too

oh, and also try defragging the partition(s) of the HD where you use your swapfile(s)

Should work....

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I could do a hardware RAID 0 array of the 2 HDs I have, think this would help?

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i run both my accounts in windowed mode and once it loads up i ctr alt del bring up the task manager and set both game.dll's priorty to low, it alows me to duel log both accounts very easily.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Make another directory, load other account from it and upgrade ram to 1gb.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Sycho said:
Make another directory, load other account from it and upgrade ram to 1gb.

Why running from different directory? I assumed that caching same files would be easier for Windows.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Running 2 accounts from the same folder is never a good idea, it certainly slows down performance(at least did for me and i am on athlon 3500@2.6ghz, 1gb 520mhz ram and 6800GT@425/1125)

The 512mb extra ram should certainly help too.

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
You could try this. Get your buffbot to stick on a guard that moves around a bit. That way it appears your buffbot is actually doing something as he walks after the guard. Don't just let him stand there doing sod all.

Faelinor

Fledgling Freddie
umm, a good idea, is like - on your main acct use your custom skin etc, but on the other BB account, change config to Classic skin, 800 x 600 resolution, clip plane near, shitty water on both accounts, and /clientsleep minimized on the bot.

I try and duel log a lot, my pc spec is AMD Athlonxp2500, 1 gig ram, 128 mb agp or woteva :p dont know much about pcs ;)

Pudzy

Can't get enough of FH
I'm on an athlon64 3500@2.3ghz 1gb dual channel ddr corsair, and only way I've manage dot keep my bot stuck to me is set my main char to below normal, and leave my bot on normal, prioritys, which is a real pain in the ass, especially when you wanna log out, takes ages for screen transitions to log out :s. I've tried both on Low, and it was 'hell', bot was pulling everything :p.

Baldanah

Fledgling Freddie
you really do need to add more memory , 1gb min for dual logging . On the BB account , i'd set everything to basic , i.e best performance , no shadows , no toa textures etc , and use client sleep .

I use an AMD 2200xp , with 1.5 gb ram , and can dual log pretty easy with the BB account set to bare minimum on everything , iincluding resolution .

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
I play on a laptop, 2.8ghz pentium, 512mb ram, and GeForce FX Go5200

I run second account in SI client and sleep mode background and all graphics at lowest

and catacombs client on main acc and sleep mode off

Have to alt and tab every 10 or so minutes but i go for hours fine
cant stick though

(btw after before loading up the accounts I Ctrl+alt+del and close every proccess thats unnecesary to save ram, even explorer.exe)

Runs fine :eek:

Accupuncture

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Mani

I had exactly the same problem you are having. Did some digging in all the forums.

The thing that solved this for me.

1. Run both account from differant directories.
2. Windowed
3. This is what solved the unable to stick. In your bios for you MB check to see if you have a setting to turn on multi-thredding (not sure is spelt correctly)

Untill I found that I was unable to stick and the second account lagged far too much to be able to drag around.

Aragyn

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm, I'm using a Pentium 4 2,8GHz 1,00 GB RAM (dual 512 Corsair) and I can play one account ToA and one Catas on stick (not tried in RvR, both on full details and 1125x864), run both from same folder without lag. So more RAM would should work very well.

Gazon

Fledgling Freddie
Use SI client, ofc.
In the options on the character selection screen, be sure to set sleepmode to "minimised" (I think that's default) and set graphics options to "best performance".
Run full screen. That's less demanding then windowed.
Make DoaC screen resolution = Windows desktop resolution to allow smoother alt-tab switching.

In your advanced windows (XP, 2000) system settings you can give priority to background services. Not sure if that helps alot.

More memory=always good. But I'm still able to do it with a 4 year old PC with Windows 98 and 500MB.

Maybe not applicable for you but: I had problems with ld because I was using a LAN port that was integrated on my motherboard: it just couldn't take it. I put in a separate ethernet card and now it works fine. :cheers:

Marath

Fledgling Freddie
For just solo rvr so you dont need the bb to stay stuck to you that machine spec should be enough.

Running clientsleep minimized and dropping it down when not buffing seems to do less lag than background all the way what I tested.

Running in window the size of your screen is ok too so you dont lose play area but can drop in and out of the bb account. (I normally move bb or cast a spell or something every 15minutes for it to not go ld and if I keep at it it never will. If you leave it alone it will ld.(Some reason duallog goes wayyyy faster than other comp that can stay up for 30mins to hour without touching.

Really do run the bb from different directory ... then you can have it on smallest resolution and disable about everything from it.

Still best thing I can come with is doubling the ram.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Thanks for the responses so far. Got the additional memory, loading up 2 clients and switching them works now like a charm now but the 2nd account goes LD anyway :-(.

I use a Catacombs client for the main char with low quality graphics settings in full screen mode and a SI client for the BB char with lowest resolution and graphics settings in windowed mode. And the account in the background always goes LD.

From my past expierience it doesn't matter if the game.dll is on low priority or not, if the clients are from the same directory or not and if the stuff is windowed/full screen. Getting a LD anyway... :-(.

Any ideas?

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Setting priority of the BB game.dll to "above normal" seems to fix it... Will keep you updated.

Aklaim

Fledgling Freddie
Erm, there was a way that I think Nikolas said to do it was on TSB Forum and I had no problems running 2accounts with 512 DDRam on Prydwen and Camlann, could even do relic raids with BB and main account on one PC

pikeh

Resident Freddy
i normally run two toa full GFX clients fine on my 1gig ram machine, However, i have trouble normally when switching over for the first time, so for example, Log in shade (f6 mode on), alt+esc to desktop, log bot, buff shade, switch to shade, and this is where i normally go LD. However if i log shade back on it switches fine. I should really install SI NF but i cant be arsed atm.

atos

Fledgling Freddie
You can't solo. It's only for thanes. Don't steal my profession!

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Had some tests today, running BB client with game.dll at "above normal" never lets the BB client LD, can even zone in background while playing on main account.

Sometimes when using BB client for too long in foreground, the main client, now in background, goes LD. I assume the way to fix it would be to give it higher priority than the BB client while it is in the background.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
As my buffbot box was out of action for about a week, I tried my best to dual log to use my buffbot and play both chars on the same account, however I found it highly annoying. I'm using an Athlon XP 2500, 1.5GB memory and GF 4800 Ti SE.

Was impossible to get both characters moving together reliably, theres always a severe amount of warping when you switch window. Leaving one character minimized in the background generally worked when running from seperate directories, however there were some occasions when the background window would go linkdead.

My conclusion? Sort out a second machine if you really want to run a second account on a regular basis. My buffbot box is a rather old Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz box, with 768MB memory and an ancient GF2MX (just 32MB memory on it)! The recommended minimum requirements for ToA/Catacombs lists a 1.4GHz processor, however for a /stick bot I'd say it really doesn't matter.

Marath

Fledgling Freddie
You can duallog it if you only want buffs ... sticking would be a bit harder then. And any piece of crap computer does the job if it has RAM. Running bb on amdk6-2 450mHz piece of crap with 392mb of ram and toa runs fine... well maybe not fine but can stick !

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
I can duel logg fine, just use them both in Windowed mode and have them at 1 up from the lowest resolution (the rectangle one). Should be ok then.

I can stick though >.< My spec's are :

1mb Ram
Pent 4 CPU 2.53GHz
XP - Service Pack two
Geforce FX 5200.

Lagg ghost's runners ftw >.<

I gather each acc isn't getting enough CPU, but i've tried a few things but nothing seems to be working. Anyone have a solution to this i'd be glad to listen.

Accupuncture

Fledgling Freddie
Haggus said:
I gather each acc isn't getting enough CPU, but i've tried a few things but nothing seems to be working. Anyone have a solution to this i'd be glad to listen.

Multi-Threading motherboard FTW

Only thing that has worked for me, sometimes get a bit of lag but can stick and never go LD apart from when my USB for some reason just disconnects me from the wireless network.

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
1GB RAM is the key here. Also don't bother to try duallogging with cata models on.

Other thing that also helped me stick 2 chars with duallogging was that I changed a setting in System properties -> Advanced -> Performance settings -> Advanced tab. Processor scheduling to Background services.

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Ezeine said:
1GB RAM is the key here. Also don't bother to try duallogging with cata models on.

Other thing that also helped me stick 2 chars with duallogging was that I changed a setting in System properties -> Advanced -> Performance settings -> Advanced tab. Processor scheduling to Background services.

Trying that now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom