Dual Booting

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Right, think its about time i installed a *nix on my system - im not a geek till i have it.

Whats the best OS?

Next question, how do i find out which drive my pc is booting from, as i seem to have two installs of windows on my pc :p

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
Brynn said:
Right, think its about time i installed a *nix on my system - im not a geek till i have it.
So true... ;)

Whats the best OS?
For fear of kicking off a Linux-*BSD holy war, I'll sit firmly on the fence and say that while I think FreeBSD is a thoroughly superior OS, it's not very easy on the beginner. I think one of the mainstream Linux distributions might be a better bet (just because the installers are a little more helpful). SuSE and Mandrake are both pretty easy to install.

Next question, how do i find out which drive my pc is booting from, as i seem to have two installs of windows on my pc
The easiest way is under Windows (assuming you use XP), go to Control Panel:Administrative Tools:Computer Management, then in the new window, click on the Storage : Disk Management item in the tree on the left hand side. That'll show you what's where.

Another alternative, if you don't want to install anything up-front, is to try Knoppix Linux. This is a live-CD version of Linux (i.e. it runs off the CD, rather than your hard drive). While not ideal for everything, its a good place to try stuff out safely.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Im guessing in Computer Management that System is where it boots from?

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Bloody pc - installed my operating system on one drive, and it boots from another.

Pissing M$

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > "start up and recovery" Settings

This section should enable you to choose which operating sytem you wish to boot from by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom