Dr Who?

Tilda

Had to be done, did anybody watch it?
What did you think?
I watched it and thought it was pretty good, although some of it seemed a bit odd I guess when compared to something like Star Gate or something, it was still cool :D The Dr is a great actor, i'm still undecided on Billie ^^

Whats your view?

ManDevil

One of Freddy's beloved
I quite liked it, seemed a bit too fast paced and not enough plot, but I guess they had to reintroduce the doctor and the tardis and stuff for a new generation of kids that had never seen it before, before really getting into decent stories.

From all the clips that have been on this week on various programs it looks as it will be getting alot better and in places darker (maybe due to 'league of gentlemens' Mark Gattis being involved in the new series) and better FX. Looking forward to the dalek episode and the one with Simon Pegg in it.

It does look a bit odd compared to stargate and other US sci-fi, but then it always has to whatever else was about at the time and that's part of why I liked it, they seemed to experiment with plotlines other sci-fi shows wouldn't want to experiment with.

Like the new tardis - kind of has the same sort of feel to it as moya in farscape.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Scene setting stories are always extremely difficult. All-in-all I thought they did a good job of introducing The Doctor to a new generation. A lot of it was children orientated, but there was still enough humour to appeal to the adults and the hint of more depth to come.

I'm hoping that Chris' Doctor grows on me, he is a good actor so I'm sure he will, but I thought Billie did really well! Looking forward to the whole series, I'm sure it will be great. No, it will not be the same as Stargate and Star Trek and it would be a mistake if it was, it has a whole approach and style that is all it's own and a heritage to live up to.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
It was trying to find a balance between the old Dr.Who and something modern, but it ended up swinging back and forth and being neither. Hopefully it'll find it's own character as the series progresses. This first episode was pretty dissapointing.

Almost had a Blue Peter feel it, not something for a 'mature' audience as US sci-fi tends to be. You cannot compare them.

Edit: I'd hoped the BBC would've produced better special effects for the series. It's not difficult now with CGI taking care of most of it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Coming from possbily the most anti-sci-fi being on the planet... i actually quite enjoyed it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I take it that it isn't anywhere near as utterly shit as the original Dr Who was?

Sar

Part of the furniture
I enjoyed it, thought it was good.

Next week's looks good too :)

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I wanted to see it, but I had work. :( Do you think they'll repeat it in a late night slot or anything?

(Don't suppose Billie got her baps out did she?)

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Cool. :) Don't have sky upstairs though, hope telly is free.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
'twas OK. I quite like Christopher Ecclestone's take on it, although I think using Autons as the first monsters in the new series was probably a mistake. The only thing that jarred was
when they're running across the bridge hand in hand towards the millenium wheel, Billie (who thinks her boyfriend's just been killed) is grinning like an idiot!

NB. was it just me or was there a BBC fuck-up at the start? I was sure I could hear Graham Norton and cheering in the background...

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Yep they had left Norton's microphone on and some of his innane banter was heard in the 'creepy' part, although if he had appeared out of nowhere rather than the Auton's I'm sure Billie would have been even more scared.

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
Doctor, Dave, not Dr.! :twak:

VERY promising I thought.

However, criticisms:

-Overscored...music was too much, too fast, too loud a lot of the time.
-Rose's boyfriend should have died. She didn't even seem upset when she thought he had. In fact did anyone die? The threat should feel a liitle more...threatening.
-The bit with Rose's mum was just disturbing.
-Couple of really silly moments that reminded me of old Doctor Who that they really didn't need. The bit that had already been mentioned in the press as being silly (the hand stuff) wasn't a problem though...
-Finally, Rose's decision at the end to join the Doctor just didn't seem right, I was like...why? She needed more of a reason. Like her home and family being destroyed and having nowehere else to go...anything!
-Oh yeah, and BBC, this could be your flagship! Up the budget you tightfisted bastards. Even the actual quality of the film used was atrocious, it looked like an 80s ep of Grange Hill.

Despite all that I felt there was a heck of a lot to like. LOVED the conspiracy theorist, hope we see him again.

Yep, could certainly get very good :cheers:

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
All in all it was ace. Ecclestone is going to be great, he's a right sarcastic bastard. :D Still cheesy, but not overly so. Win win win !

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
I think the beeb used digital video to film it.

tbh I thought the episode itself was utterly lame ( i've always thought the autons sucked) but I don't care as I'm just so happy the Doctor is back on TV.

Here's fingers crossed to some great future episodes. :)

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
Did anyone else notice a slight weirdness after it as well as before it?

It flashed up, like "BBC Special News Report"

Then silence.

Then "And now for a special report [then could audibly hear him swallow]"

Silence.

"...From the BBC"

I was sat thinking "fuck he sounded terrified, is this the four minute warning?"

Then it was just about some guy I never heard of popping his clogs :/

Tilda

I think it was ok as far as it went, it must be damn hard trying to write an episode that introduce the Dr, his side kick, a baddie, the tardis, etc and trying to explain what it can do, while having some sort of a plot in the first episode. I'm sure now the next generation of Dr lovers know who he is and what the tardis does they'll be free to develop deeper/scarier/funner plots.

Tilda

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Jonny_Darko said:
In fact did anyone die? The threat should feel a liitle more...threatening.

LOVED the conspiracy theorist, hope we see him again.

I got the distinct impression that the conspiracy theorist died. He was the first to be shot by the dummies, and then there were several shots of his familiy fleeing with out him.

You're right though he was a good character, but I think the writers missed a trick. He should have found evidence of 'other' Doctors in the past. They all spent time on earth, in fact most of John Pertwee's stint was spent here, and some record should have been still available. It was as if all those stories never happened.

In all I thought the plot was very weak, but as a scene setter it was every bit as good as it was ever going to be, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

RB

Tilda

my take on the whole no evidence of other Dr's was that as he has the tardis he can go back in time, so effectivley a Dr could criss cross in and out of a previous dr.
or it may be that the rejuvenation process alters time meaning that any images of a previous Dr are changed to look like the new one. I know its not a great way of thinking about it, but that was I came up with.

Tilda

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Tenko said:
I think the beeb used digital video to film it.

Shot on Digital Betacam surprisingly, which is a fairly old format as things go. Obviously graded to look better.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Tilda said:
as he has the tardis he can go back in time, so effectivley a Dr could criss cross in and out of a previous dr.

Don't say that FFS Sylvester McCoy will be popping up before you know what's what.

Tilda said:
or it may be that the rejuvenation process alters time meaning that any images of a previous Dr are changed to look like the new one. I know its not a great way of thinking about it, but that was I came up with

How goes that explain the feature "The six (or was it seven) Doctors"?

DaGaffer

Mazling said:
That's ... insane. Or really clever.

Thought they'd get two seasons out of him, but I can't say I'm surprised. Timing of his announcement's a bit crass though.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Jonny_Darko said:
Did anyone else notice a slight weirdness after it as well as before it?

It flashed up, like "BBC Special News Report"

Then silence.

Then "And now for a special report [then could audibly hear him swallow]"

Silence.

"...From the BBC"

I was sat thinking "fuck he sounded terrified, is this the four minute warning?"

Then it was just about some guy I never heard of popping his clogs :/

Heh, Kenny and I thought the same thing! We looked at each other and went "Oh god, whats happened?"

I quite enjoyed the Doctor Who, though at first I wasn't convinced. Some of it was quite hammy - as soon as you saw the wheelie bin, you knew there would be legs sticking out of it, and some of the lines were overtly cheesy, but as soon as I stopped nit picking I found I was actually enjoying it. Found the initial feel of a one off episode a little abrupt, but I suppose with such a big gap between series that it was an evil neccessity to have it.
The bit where Billie was convinced to join up was a little light on plausability too. "Come with me" "Can't, 'e needs me" "I travel in time" "Oh, OK. Sod off useless boyfriend."

Edit:// Bill Nighy for next doctor Who! Yes please. Not that bloke from Casanova.

DaGaffer

Damini said:
Edit:// Bill Nighy for next doctor Who! Yes please. Not that bloke from Casanova.

I think that bloke from Casanova would be very good tbh. And you're going to get the same problem with Bill Nighy - he won't want to hang around for more than a couple of years tops.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Damini:

Yes, a little - but in telling Billie he could travel in time lets her know that when she's bored or had enough of the journeys he can take her back to that same point in time where she can continue her normal life.

Damini

Part of the furniture
But Swift, before she responded, I thought that would be why she did it, but if that was the case then
why be rude to her bloke like that, in effect dumping him?

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I thought the boyfriend looked more like a puff than a boyfriend tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom