Downloads, 1.80 and DR release

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
There's a bit of confusion about the various downloads currently offered from our site and what people will need to play DR when it comes out on the 1st.
Here then is a brief guide which should answer most of your queries.

Currently you can get the following downloads from the official site:
New ToA. If you currently use the New SI client, this will give you all the files you need for the ToA client in version 1.80 with the Catacombs graphics engine.
ToA. If you currently use the ToA client with ToA graphics engine, this will give you all the files you'll need for version 1.80.
Catacombs. If you currently use the Catacombs client, ths will give you all the files you'll need for a 1.80 client.

If you currently use the old SI client, you'll need to download the current ToA client and the ToA conversion file.

Each of the above downloads converts an existing client to a 1.80 client however none of them are a DR client. If you want to access DR content, you'll need a DR client which you'll get either from a DR box or by downloading it separately. If you plan to activate and use DR then you do not need to download any of the conversion files given above, they are solely for people who want to download the patch in advance for their existing client.

We will offer the DR client as a direct download from our official site on the 1st Feb however to ease strain on the network, it will be offered as a torrent and via a different platform to the rest of our service. We aren't able to offer it earlier than this as we don't wish to compete directly with our distributors. You can download the client before this from some of our partners who are offering a downloadable product such as DL-Gamer.

MxN

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
can download the client before this from some of our partners who are offering a downloadable product such as DL-Gamer.

Who else?

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Aoln said:
What are the actual advantages of DR client?

to explore strange new worlds.

To seek out new life and new civilizations.

To boldly go where no one(in europe) has gone before!

Da, da da daa, da da daaaaa etc :D

sorry I couldnt resist :(

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Each of the above downloads converts an existing client to a 1.80 client however none of them are a DR client. If you want to access DR content, you'll need a DR client which you'll get either from a DR box or by downloading it separately. If you plan to activate and use DR then you do not need to download any of the conversion files given above, they are solely for people who want to download the patch in advance for their existing client.

just so that it is clear if you download the Darkness rising expansion, you do not need to download the 1.80 patch files?

:m00:

IainC

scorge said:
Requiel said:
just so that it is clear if you download the Darkness rising expansion, you do not need to download the 1.80 patch files?

The answer is in the text you quoted.

IainC

Celestino said:
What about using the US DR client ?
I wouldn't recommend it. You'll need to change the update.dat and login.dat to point to the European servers and then you'll need to patch the difference between the two clients on a day when the patch servers are going to be very busy anyway. I'd strongly recommend either installing DR from CDs or getting a European download from us or one of our partners.

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
If the patch servers are "going to be very busy anyway" i can assume that the euro DR package will also need some upgrading and won't be ready to play after the install ? Can you comment on those differences in both versions beeing more than some small hotfixes ?

Where iam trying to get to is:
Will it be faster to download the US version now, updating it on patchday (dling maybe 30-40 megs to be able to play)
or will it be faster to download the whole EU version from full and slow servers AND 0-20 megs extra

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
just got an info email from DL-gamers, for people after info or linkies ;)

email said:
Hello,

the crazy french guys are back

We·are helping GoA with the Darkness Rising expansion just like we did Catacombs last year.

We have changed our site a bit and we made some changes in how we handle orders to try and take into account the few critics we had last time, i thought it would be good if we could talk to the players before hand to try and make everything smoother.

We have changed the way preorder works on our site especially for DR, preorder are not free of charge anymore but people will be able to pre download the files from us when they preorder it. they will then receive their serial key on the day of the official release.
The only thing is they must NOT install the DR files until release day because they won·t be able to play anymore until release day if they do that.

You can PreOrder and Preload the files here :

http://www.dlgamer.com/index.php?cPath=27

:worthy:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
As long as it is on a torrent first thing in the morning on the 1st Feb I can live with that.

IainC

Celestino said:
If the patch servers are "going to be very busy anyway" i can assume that the euro DR package will also need some upgrading and won't be ready to play after the install ? Can you comment on those differences in both versions beeing more than some small hotfixes ?

Where iam trying to get to is:
Will it be faster to download the US version now, updating it on patchday (dling maybe 30-40 megs to be able to play)
or will it be faster to download the whole EU version from full and slow servers AND 0-20 megs extra
The patch servers wil be busy because no matter how much we encourage people to beat the rush, there will always be a large number of people who will wait till patch day to update their client.
Patching the standard EU DR install will be trifling (especially for the English client) whereas patching a US copy will be less so. I don't have the exact numbers to hand but I can safely say that patching an EU client will be faster than patching a US one.

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
10:15 pm iam surprised (no offense, quite the opposite)

Well its late so nm but i've already beeing that far that patching EU will be faster than patching US but the question was if preloading US and patching the few extra megs wouldn't be better than loading and patching EU

I guess u can't really tell us to download from mythic but it is possible technically as it was with SI and TOA, isn't it ?
So in the end you get those options if u don't want to preorder it:
#1 Download the client and a small patch from overrun goa servers
#2 predownload US with full speed and a few megs extra from the overrun goa servers

But well i don't really think it'll be that much of a problem, downtime should be long enough to dl the client...

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Celestino said:
10:15 pm iam surprised (no offense, quite the opposite)

Well its late so nm but i've already beeing that far that patching EU will be faster than patching US but the question was if preloading US and patching the few extra megs wouldn't be better than loading and patching EU

I guess u can't really tell us to download from mythic but it is possible technically as it was with SI and TOA, isn't it ?
So in the end you get those options if u don't want to preorder it:
#1 Download the client and a small patch from overrun goa servers
#2 predownload US with full speed and a few megs extra from the overrun goa servers

But well i don't really think it'll be that much of a problem, downtime should be long enough to dl the client...

depends if shit torrent is fast enough for the download.

me i am downloading the us version before hand, if i have any probs with it will download the goa one on the day

eble

Fledgling Freddie
Downloaded the US DR version a week ago, already got a DR folder ready for the conversion to Euro patch on day of release and I've just ordered a CD key from DL gamer.

So i'm all set, update.date and patch all redirected.

Eble

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom