Download Festival

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone else from OT (or FH in general) go this year?

I thought it was the best Download yet (been going for 4 years now) the bands were amazing and the weather was great if a little hot.

Shame a few wankers messed it up on the last night, thankfully we'd already left before the so called "riot" happened. From videos as well, didn't seem like a riot tbh, just a few bevvied up kids playing with a bit of fire, although was probably scarier if you were there ;)

Highlights of the weekend were:

Soulfly, Avenged Sevenfold, Lacuna Coil, Prodigy and G'n'R - all rocked!

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Elitestoner went, spoke good words of it. Can't believe i couldn't go, that line up was amazing this year. Really wanted to see Metallica. Fucking exams :(

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Vladamir said:
Elitestoner went, spoke good words of it. Can't believe i couldn't go, that line up was amazing this year. Really wanted to see Metallica. Fucking exams :(

:fluffle:

I had a choice, either Download or a week in Tenerife with my mates

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Thadius said:
:fluffle:

I had a choice, either Download or a week in Tenerife with my mates

Hmm, Download, or a week in Tenerife with Thadius...

;)

Wub you really :fluffle:

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
I heard G'n'R - they were awesome :D

Was able to get pretty close to the front (hence my subsequent deafness), but they rocked. There were a couple of technical difficulties with mic's, and the bassist had a minor strop because someone threw a bottle of piss in his face (understandable really - the strop that is, not the piss throwing) but after that they were amazing. Their new material was really good, and they played a varied set with more stuff from Lies and AfD than Use Your Illusion.

Was great to see Axl on form, he looked and sounded good, and was bounding around the stage like a 12 year old, and also having Izzy Stradlin make an appearance and Sebastian Bach :worthy: come on was brilliant.

Really looking forwards to the new album :)

(apologies for sounding like a fanboi btw, but they really were great, and I'm sick and tired of people G'n'R bashing because they're not cool or whatever).

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Naetha said:
I heard G'n'R - they were awesome :D

Was able to get pretty close to the front (hence my subsequent deafness), but they rocked. There were a couple of technical difficulties with mic's, and the bassist had a minor strop because someone threw a bottle of piss in his face (understandable really - the strop that is, not the piss throwing) but after that they were amazing. Their new material was really good, and they played a varied set with more stuff from Lies and AfD than Use Your Illusion.

Was great to see Axl on form, he looked and sounded good, and was bounding around the stage like a 12 year old, and also having Izzy Stradlin make an appearance and Sebastian Bach :worthy: come on was brilliant.

Really looking forwards to the new album :)

(apologies for sounding like a fanboi btw, but they really were great, and I'm sick and tired of people G'n'R bashing because they're not cool or whatever).

G'n'R is one of the best bands i know of. I wish i could have gone and see them too! Luckily they will come play in Sweden soon. :drink:

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Did anyone catch Tool's set? Wondering what they were like...

Tool were good - not awesome but good. Poor choice of first song (Lost Keys /Rosetta Stoned) and then the fact that Maynard Keenan didn't really connect with the crowd meant that the audience were a bit...bored tbh, but once they got going it was good.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Mey said:
Did you see Dragonforce!?

Yup, but tbh they were a little disappointing. The sound quality was poor that morning (Sun Morning) which meant that with music as fast as Dragonforce, it just came out as noise. The vocals were also very weak and you could hardly hear them.

Bit of a shame really.

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
they are not running it next year are they? its been closed down i heard?

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Karl said:
they are not running it next year are they? its been closed down i heard?

First I've heard of it, especially as advance tickets for the 2007 festival are already on sale...

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I went to Isle of Wight instead this year, was great fun (but obviously not to the usual Download crowd's taste). I'd seen most of the main bands several times in more intimate gigs, so went for IoW with a few mroe layed back mates :)

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah IoW had a great line-up this year, very much reminiscent of Glasto type line ups with a real variety of bands on.

Its nice to see bands in small gigs, but you can't beat a good festival on a warm june weekend :D

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Naetha said:
Yeah IoW had a great line-up this year, very much reminiscent of Glasto type line ups with a real variety of bands on.

Its nice to see bands in small gigs, but you can't beat a good festival on a warm june weekend :D

I dunno; festival appearances are often disappointing. Bands feel less important if they aren't headlining...come on stage, play their stuff and get out of there. Means the music is often much more sloppy with less effort put in. The headliners, or penultimate acts are always good though.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
I dunno; festival appearances are often disappointing. Bands feel less important if they aren't headlining...come on stage, play their stuff and get out of there. Means the music is often much more sloppy with less effort put in. The headliners, or penultimate acts are always good though.

I suppose it depends who is playing - if you have a lot of new bands then they usually make the effort to play well, while if they're more established maybe they don't feel the need to impress as much.

Also much of the atmosphere of a festival is less about the music and more about the people, and the fact they're all there because of the music.

Incidentally, did you manage to see Caravan? (Sunday, main stage, early on) They were the first band I ever went to see when I was 14 with my Dad :m00:

Litmus

Resident Freddy
nice to know GnR are on form, got tickets to go see them in birmingham in july.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom